collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 02:52:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:51:36 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burnley vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 19250 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Burnley vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2021, 10:43:03 PM »
From the site rules:

Please do not accuse people of being, for example, "a bluenose" or "a manyoo fan" because you don't like or agree with what they are saying.

If he's a Villa fan Legion, then I'm a Tiltonite. Bitter little neighbour all day long.

Nine total posts since registering.

Two after Leeds, two after Brighton, one after West Ham and the rest today.

Sure there is some sort of link between those games but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I mean I was suspicious, but any self respecting neighbour would know we won the league in 81 and not 82. They know our hisotry in WV, B9 and West Birmingham.
You spotted my trap then? But he didn't. Could be his age. He's over 80 you know.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2021, 10:45:09 PM »
We have the funds to keep progressing though
 We're better this year not because everybody is dire, but because we're much better.

We've signed a Champions League midfielder, we'll like as not do the same in July/August again. Good chance of Europe League.
what was the score at Burnley last year?oh yes I remember wo won 3-1

2-1 actually! Having trouble with google search?
no at eighty years of age I’m not quite has sharp has I used to be but I remember winsand losses and I’ve seen villa teams win fa and league cups not to mention European so I know a good villa team when I see one and this group have some way to go
And not forgetting we won the league in 82. Guess you've seen a lot of change at Villa Park in all those years.
Certainly have since I saw my first villa Park Match in1947 it’s been a real roller coaster ride the highs have been very high and the lows we’ll need I say any more.
I do believe we are now in good hands in fact has good has when Dugdale  and co took over from the Nomansells.
But I do believe we are expecting an awful lot in a short period of time experience tells me you build firm foundations and what goes on top will be strong.
Has for tonight’s game I do feel we overplayed at times and the work rate drops we now have a reasonable group of players to keep us out of trouble but I think there is still work to be done before we can start talking about European football.
Believe me having been a fanatical supporter for a  lifetime being referred to has this and that from some people on here really hurts just for giving an honest opinion.

Doug ? Herbert ? Sir Douglas ? Doug ! Doug ! 

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2021, 10:45:44 PM »
Disappointed but not despondent about tonight

Compared to where we were a year ago the whole club has been transformed

I’m looking at this season as being a stepping stone to the top, and the art of putting games out of the reach of our opponents when we are dominating is all part of the learning curve

It’s why the teams at the top now have been there for the last few years

It’s not our strength at the moment because for the last decade we have rarely dominated matches

So disappointed at a lost opportunity - yes but despondent - no

Sums it up for me. Left the live coverage at 70 mins and did some serious effing and jeffing when the result came through. First time this season I've been seriously pissed off as I feel we're ahead of schedule so have been sanguine about the setbacks thus far. After a couple of hours reflection I agree with Cilve and let's see what the rest of the season brings*. Fair play to Burnley on their result and hope they stay up now.

*Having said that, after a dry January that I did crack open the birthday rum a few hours early.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2021, 10:48:37 PM »
I know you can make statistics bend to how you want.....but with and without Barkley starting:

WITH

PLAYED: 9
WON: 4
DRAWN: 0
LOST: 5
SCORED: 19
CONCEDED: 16

WITHOUT

PLAYED: 9
WON: 5
DRAWN: 2
LOST: 2
SCORED: 14
CONCEDED: 5

Now this does include the Brighton game which wasn’t really hai fault but I think he’s looked well off the pace since his return, and I think he was anonymous in our defeats to Leeds and Southampton before that.

Outside the Liverpool game he has a great goal v Leicester and a single assist v Arsenal.

If Sanson is fit to start, I’d have him in Saturday

Stats are interesting but he was tremendous in the first half. He did his job helping to get us in the lead. Probably should have brought Nakamba on at 2-1 up and seen the game out.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2021, 10:50:46 PM »
Anyway it's all Footy-Vill's fault for jinxing us and pointing out we'd won every game this season after scoring first. Once Ollie scored I should have known we were done for. ;)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2021, 10:51:53 PM »
Let’s face it we were miles the better team and took our foot off the gas. Important lesson to learn, but 9 out of 10 times we win that game and hopefully ultimately we’ll be better for the experience.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2021, 10:52:23 PM »
We were purring in that 1st half the football was so good.
2nd half they appeared to become more direct and the Villa midfield under-performed. McGinn became anonymous, Luiz a little less so and Barkley ineffective.
Whereas we had been dominating the pace of the game we let this slip to our cost.
Imo Mings should have been awarded a free-kick for a shirt pull in the tousle near the bye-line for their corner resulting in a goal.
Zonal marking isn't working in those situations costing us goals. I thought Traore and Jack both tracked back well especially first half, but if we're playing with 2 holding midfielders to accommodate Barkley, surely they should be offering support also (Luiz to Cash and McGinn to Targett) and this element is missing for me. Subs once it went to 2-2 might have been an idea.
We are a greatly improved team and lovely to watch when in full flow. Burnley is a horrible hunting ground for us and when we do manage to win there we lose 2 key players (Wesley long-term).
Sometimes games just don't go our way, but there were many positives about tonight not least the 1st 45mins. Onto the next game and UTV!
Btw I would hate it if Dyche was ever our manager.

Offline wince

« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2021, 10:58:13 PM »
Fuck the northern kit stealers stealing a place in the league. And Burnley is a shithole

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2021, 10:59:14 PM »
Anyway it's all Footy-Vill's fault for jinxing us and pointing out we'd won every game this season after scoring first.

Our record of winning every game where we score more goals than the opposition is still intact.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2021, 11:07:01 PM »
i’m blaming that new player Sanson
Never saw him do anything all night

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2021, 11:16:50 PM »
We were purring in that 1st half the football was so good.
2nd half they appeared to become more direct and the Villa midfield under-performed. McGinn became anonymous, Luiz a little less so and Barkley ineffective.
Whereas we had been dominating the pace of the game we let this slip to our cost.
Imo Mings should have been awarded a free-kick for a shirt pull in the tousle near the bye-line for their corner resulting in a goal.
Zonal marking isn't working in those situations costing us goals. I thought Traore and Jack both tracked back well especially first half, but if we're playing with 2 holding midfielders to accommodate Barkley, surely they should be offering support also (Luiz to Cash and McGinn to Targett) and this element is missing for me. Subs once it went to 2-2 might have been an idea.
We are a greatly improved team and lovely to watch when in full flow. Burnley is a horrible hunting ground for us and when we do manage to win there we lose 2 key players (Wesley long-term).
Sometimes games just don't go our way, but there were many positives about tonight not least the 1st 45mins. Onto the next game and UTV!
Btw I would hate it if Dyche was ever our manager.
This👍

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2021, 11:22:16 PM »
Anyone remember when Wimbledon shithoused their way to survival for a few years after they got into the top flight in the mid 80’s? Initially we were their regular whipping boys before we got the measure of them.  It feels a bit like that when we play Burnley.

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2021, 11:32:23 PM »
Burnley are horrible to watch. But fair play to Dyche, he adjusted his team and tactics and outmanoeuvred Smith.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2021, 11:33:58 PM »
Looking for a bit of solace I looked the the match stats something I don't normally do. We smashed them in every category apart from two. The fouls committed one read them 16 us 7. The other one was goals scored.

Offline cdward

« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2021, 11:35:33 PM »
We were excellent at times tonight, the build up play for the first goal was perfection. Jack was sublime at times, he is going to score a Puskas worldview at some point this season.

We need to take our chances and put that game to bed. Their second goal was weak, but we will learn from our mistakes and keep improving.
Wouldn't swap this version of Villa for any other team right now.
UTV

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal