collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...  (Read 8037 times)

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2020, 09:00:14 AM »
The worry is that in 1991-92 and also 1979-80, we were on an upward trajectory, whereas we're still suffering now from a decade of failure. Therefore every win is seen as a blip and every defeat a return to the norm.

Guilty! Even now, I can't bring myself to trust Villa to give me a relatively stress-free season, I am half expecting a massive losing streak to come along and a relegation battle to go along with it. Despite all the evidence I have seen with my own eyes this season.

Even before the misery of the last 10 years, shooting ourselves in the foot was somewhat of a Villa speciality.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2020, 09:03:31 AM »
The other thing about this squad is that for the first time in many years, I actually like most of our players and staff.
- We have senior pros like Elmo, McGinn, Jack, Barkley and Mings instead of Lescott, Gabby, Lansbury (in the squad at least!) and Richards taking the piss.
- Mings, whatever your thoughts about him as a player, as a bloke is top notch.
- Trez, who while limited as a player, can't be faulted for effort. He made me chuckle tonight whien he was standing dripping with blood, clearly a bit out of it, seemingly arguing that he shouldn't be going off. 100% effort.
- Jack, from our academy to the country's new great hope, and still seems proper grounded with all he does for local charities.
- Deano, from helping his old man as a kid at the ground to managing us
- Hungry, talented young players getting better and better like Konsa, Luiz and Cash
- Some exciting prospects in the youths like Ramsey and Barry, hopefully who will get some gametime this year.
- Martinez - the best keeper we've had in years. As much as I like Heaton and even Steer, Martinez just seems to be that one step up. And about six steps up from Nyland.

A couple of signings in January to bump the likes of Hourihane and El Ghazi from the bench and challenge the likes of Trez and Targett for a first team spot, and we have every chance of a top 10 spot. Who would possibly have thought that three games before the end of last season?

As Paulie said, it's certainly not boring.

I agree with all of this; one thing I've found is that I feel as though I have a connection with this team that I haven't felt for years. Anything could happen this season and probably will - I feel immensely proud of the team and the individuals within. Someone should tell the trophy room staff to make a bit more space on a shelf, we've got silverware coming.

Online Baldy

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
I agree 100% pauliewalnuts.

Despite recent results we are playing some of the best football in the whole league. It is not going unnoticed by commentators, pundits, media and many other clubs supporters.

We have rich owners with vision, top management team, quality players throughout, youthful energy with willingness to learn, attacking intent and 40,000 plus supporters waiting in the wings. A recipe for success. The future is bright, the future is Aston Villa.

A work in progress that is progressing very nicely.

:)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 09:08:31 AM by Baldy »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 09:09:41 AM »

Despite recent results we are playing some of the best football in the whole league. It is not going unnoticed by commentators, pundits, media and many other clubs supporters.

We have rich owners with vision, top management team, quality players throughout, youthful energy with willingness to learn, attacking intent and 40,000 plus supporters waiting in the wings. A recipe for success. The future is bright, the future is Aston Villa.

But take Grealish out of that team and what are you left with?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2020, 09:14:11 AM »
I don’t think Luis is really underrated as such. But he doesn’t really get the credit some of the other players get. I know it sounds maybe a bit contradictory to say that, but he just seems to get on with it, do his job. Solid 7/10 most weeks and fly under the radar a bit. Will be a big loss if City decide they need him back.

Online Baldy

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2020, 09:25:43 AM »

The Argentinian international goalkeeper, Englands future international center back partnership, two young full backs with tonnes of potential, Scotlands top international player in midfield alongside a Brazilian international and also Barkley producing the goods.  Irelands best midfielder as back up. A prolific young forward (with Brazilian international as back up) alongside a former Champions league/Chelsea player who has just arrived. Throw in Trezequet, who will be a massive asset when he finds his shooting boots. Need I go on, we are far, far from a one man team.  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 09:31:50 AM by Baldy »

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »

The Argentinian international goalkeeper, Englands future international center back partnership, two full backs with tonnes of potential, Scotlands top international player in midfield alongside a Brazilian international and also Barkley producing the goods.  Irelands best midfielder as back up. A prolific young forward (with Brazilian international as back up) alongside a former Champions league/Chelsea player who has just arrived. Throw in Trezequet, who will be a massive asset when he finds his shooting boots. Need I go on, we are far, far from a one man team.  :)

Plus the 80-100m it would take for Grealish to not be in that team to spend on strengthening it .

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2020, 09:29:39 AM »
I think Heaton will be making a strong claim for the first team spot when he's back to full fitness.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »
There is something about us this season that makes me feel we may, just may be on the verge of something really, really good.
That's exactly how I felt last night.  I know we lost and everything, but even when it was 91 minutes on the clock, I was still thinking "we could win this ...".  It's just the way we're playing at the moment - it might not always come off, but there's just that feeling that we're able to not just beat other sides, but absolutely annihilate them.

At the moment it feels like it's a bit 50:50, maybe even 40:60 as to whether it'll click or not ... but I think those odds will start moving in our favour as the season goes on, and even more so if/when we're able to strengthen a bit further.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 09:42:06 AM »
I think Heaton will be making a strong claim for the first team spot when he's back to full fitness.

Really? Other than spilling one against Fulham, Martinez has done nothing wrong. I can't think of a goal we've conceded that he could do anything about. He's also better with his feet than Heaton.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2020, 09:47:38 AM »
As others have said, the big difference for me is we are going toe-to-toe with teams now, and often coming out on top, even if the final score doesn't reflect that.  Barring the Leeds game, I've been pretty happy with all the performances this season.  Even last night, sickening as it is to lose two goals to their only shots on target, playing the way we did that's a game we win 8 times out of 10.

Compare that to last season, when it was a struggle to pull any positives out of most of our defeats.

But most of all, I actually ENJOY watching us play this season. There is no feeling in my gut that we're going to let ourselves down, I'm confident when we're playing the ball around, and I'm excited when ball gets to our forwards.  It's been a while since I felt that way watching us play week in week out.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2020, 10:09:16 AM »

Really? Other than spilling one against Fulham, Martinez has done nothing wrong. I can't think of a goal we've conceded that he could do anything about. He's also better with his feet than Heaton.

What has Heaton done wrong barring being injured?  He's a better shot stopper than Martinez.

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »
The Argentinian international goalkeeper, Englands future international center back partnership, two young full backs with tonnes of potential, Scotlands top international player in midfield alongside a Brazilian international and also Barkley producing the goods.  Irelands best midfielder as back up. A prolific young forward (with Brazilian international as back up) alongside a former Champions league/Chelsea player who has just arrived. Throw in Trezequet, who will be a massive asset when he finds his shooting boots. Need I go on, we are far, far from a one man team.  :)
If Konsa and Mings are England's future centre-back pairing, then I expect the national team to concede lots of sloppy goals.
Who is the second full-back ? Cash is promising, but Targett is painfully shit.
Scotland and Ireland are both awful international teams, having their best midfielders isn't a sign of much.

From last nights starting XI - Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Luiz, Grealish and Watkins would be keepers for me.

Targett (see above), Mings (good leader, too many mistakes though), McGinn (although he is occasionally pretty good I don't think he is PL class particularly), Trez (tries hard, always smiling, but not good enough to start), Hourihane (a Dave Woodhall said in his article, a solid 6/10 player, but 6/10 sees you getting humped by all but the worst teams in the league). All these can/should be consigned to the bench as soon as possible.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2020, 11:34:48 AM »
The whole club is undeniably going places and while I love that, for some reason it's making defeats harder to take. I'm used to us being crap and accepting defeats as par for the course. Now that we're actually good, I'm either absolutely gutted or really pissed off after defeats. I need to figure out how to accept losses better.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2020, 12:19:02 PM »
Why is it fucking stupid? We're playing exciting football on a consistent basis. After a decade of dreck, it's great to be beck.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal