collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...  (Read 8032 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Re: I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2020, 07:23:26 PM »
The whole club is undeniably going places and while I love that, for some reason it's making defeats harder to take. I'm used to us being crap and accepting defeats as par for the course. Now that we're actually good, I'm either absolutely gutted or really pissed off after defeats. I need to figure out how to accept losses better.

The same here. In my head...Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal were nice surprises. Leeds, Brighton, Southampton, West Ham; we should be beating these minnows.
Winning  those " winnable" games ( see above) would be    a nice start......to me losing at home to Brighton , Soton and Leeds isn't acceptable no matter how "great" the football is

Online ez

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2020, 08:31:17 PM »
The whole club is undeniably going places and while I love that, for some reason it's making defeats harder to take. I'm used to us being crap and accepting defeats as par for the course. Now that we're actually good, I'm either absolutely gutted or really pissed off after defeats. I need to figure out how to accept losses better.

The same here. In my head...Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal were nice surprises. Leeds, Brighton, Southampton, West Ham; we should be beating these minnows.
Winning  those " winnable" games ( see above) would be    a nice start......to me losing at home to Brighton , Soton and Leeds isn't acceptable no matter how "great" the football is

They were indeed unacceptable and points wise they cancelled out our excellent early start to the season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2020, 08:37:56 PM »
Southampton look a pretty good side to me in fairness.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2020, 08:45:09 PM »
And Leeds will never better this season their performance at Villa Park.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2020, 09:09:12 AM »
I have said previously, if we can finish 12th/13th then that will be staggering progress for a club that finished 5th in the championship 2 years ago.

I’m still really angry about the West Ham game though and the 4 defeats in 5.
With a big gap to our next game, which is tough one, we could find ourselves in the bottom half of the table trying to claw our way back up.
There is a danger that our wonderful start to the season could be wasted because of poor results in the last 5 games.

All that being said, I completely agree with the sentiments that we are ‘on the up’ and are a far more likeable team than in our recent history.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »
We are on the up but I still find us really naive in our approach to some games and how open we are. Especially against Leeds and Southampton. Defensively we aren't switched on enough and are poor at set pieces. I'm not convinced by the Konsa and Mings partnership and I'd still like to see a bigger, stronger screening midfielder who can pass a ball but help out more defending corners and free kicks. In short, we are better than last season by far but there's a lot of room for improvement and there will need to be tough decisions made if we are to progress, replacing players that we like and find amiable but aren't quite as good as made out.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »
We have into the last few games with real enthusiasm beleiving we were back and heading in the right direction then came Brighton and West Ham.
Both games we were the better team, both games we lost. We did this at the begining of last season (threw away points), the difference then was hope we would be comfortably safe, this season we were thinking after the earlier results we were we might threaten the top 6. But alas a combination of naivety, poor finishing and some piss poor defending and we are starting to loook down not up at the League table.
Without a change in the way we defend, we will achieve fuck all and jeapordise the opportunity we have to progress (and losing our best player). Sadly playing good football for long periods of matches is not enough.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »
We are very much a work in progress. We are the epitome of the ‘win of few lose a few’ side with huge potential but no consistency. It’s bloody frustrating but we play good football and anyone who has seen us this season knows we are capable of dishing out some real pastings. We look exciting going forward, we are dynamic in midfield but defensively we still have some improvement to make. But in comparison to last season we are progressing with better players and more confidence.

Of all the comparisons mine would be to Little’s first full season. Made some astute signings that at the time still had plenty to prove and we gelled, got some big scalps early on and ended up finishing 4th from memory playing great football. We might not quite get there but we are progressing in the top tier there’s no doubt about that for the first time in over a decade. I’ll have some of that.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2020, 11:38:21 AM »
We have 15 points from 9 games, if that rate was maintained ( I knows it's an if ) that would put us on target for 63/64 points. We have only bettered 64 points twice in the top division in the last 33 seasons. A 60-64 points tally puts you on target for about a 6th place finish.

We have conceded 13 goals in those games in what is to date an unusually high scoring season throughout the division, that gives us the 8th best goals against ratio in the division.

We have gained most of these points in unexpected places and then lost where we should have picked up. If it had been the other way round I suppose we would be talking about how there was improvement but we still couldn't give the best sides a game.

Some may be worried that we have lost 4 out the last 5 after such a great start. However, I do not think it's a case of us now being found out. With the exception of the Leeds game and the first half of Southampton we have fully competed and shown true quality.

After 54 years I reckon I can spot a half decent Villa side taking shape. In terms of signing young proven players who will get better it feels like the Brian Little era. In terms of exciting  football it feels like Saunders circa 76/77.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2020, 12:06:25 PM »
I have said previously, if we can finish 12th/13th then that will be staggering progress for a club that finished 5th in the championship 2 years ago.

I’m still really angry about the West Ham game though and the 4 defeats in 5.
With a big gap to our next game, which is tough one, we could find ourselves in the bottom half of the table trying to claw our way back up.
There is a danger that our wonderful start to the season could be wasted because of poor results in the last 5 games.

All that being said, I completely agree with the sentiments that we are ‘on the up’ and are a far more likeable team than in our recent history.

Staggering progress? Not sure about that. Return season surviving on the last day kinda acceptable, second season should show a marked improvement and thankfully is doing so. Our problem now isn't that we're shit, just that we're inconsistent with results.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2020, 08:40:56 AM »
The title of this thread needs changing!
Its not stupid at all!!
Totally onto something as nearing if not being the best performing team in the league.
Certainly have the best keeper Martinez and in Jack Grealish one of the best players and best English midfielder.
We have the best Irish and Scottish midfielders.Ollie Watkins a super striker and some outstanding supporting cast in attacking players.
And a super team spirit!
With the best English coach in the country and some of the most ambitious and most wealthy owners of any football club.
Continue an unbeaten run vs Chelsea,  Man Utd , Spurs and Everton thevthread title needs to be changed from stupid to genius and wise!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »

Acceptable yet?

From how we'd played generally this season it's been top 8 standard for me. Of course we need to keep everyone fit and try to add 1-2 more of decent quality next month but I'd be pretty disappointed if we finished significantly below that now.

Southampton is sort of standard that will probably finish 8th and they've dipped in last few games so don't see any reason why it's impossible to above them.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 02:17:15 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2020, 07:36:07 PM »
Getting there eh ? :)
Yesterday showed us that the manager and the team are learning and are now showing signs of professionalism that confident and successful sides display - I still find dropping points to Burnley, Brighton et al disappointing but I am demanding in my expectations
A tough few games looming .....what I wouldn't give for a win against Newton Heath

Offline chrisf

« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2020, 08:11:15 PM »
...what I wouldn't give for a win against Newton Heath
That thrashing of Liverpool was cathartic for me. Since I was a kid I've been batting our corner against the odds through the 80s, 90s, 2000s then steadily slinking away for the last ten years.

Smashing those bastards felt better than anything and there's one Liverpool 'friend' that I probably won't speak to again after I called him a c**t for not answering texts.

Manchester? Oh yes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal