collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...  (Read 8112 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...
« on: December 01, 2020, 12:19:39 AM »
There is something about us this season that makes me feel we may, just may be on the verge of something really, really good.

We seem to veer from haplessly shooting ourselves in the foot to fearlessly brushing aside some of the best sides in the country (and Arsenal). I know this is frustrating, it's really annoying to see games like this evening pan out as it did, but I am starting to get the initial whiff of a 'swagger'.

We quite clearly are a work in progress, and there's a great deal of volatility in the team in that we are inconsistent, but I am honestly starting to think, if a few things go well for us in terms of keeping key players and recruiting well, we could just be on the cusp of significantly happier times.

And I say that as - I believe - the original coiner of the phrase 'happy clappers' on here, and one with a multi year history of being on the miserablist wing of the H&V community.

It's hard to explain, i just see a few things showing immense promise, and I just feel like there might be something about to happen. After years of crushing mediocrity, it is at least interesting to watch.

If only we could actually go to the games.

Offline pauliewalnuts

Re: I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 12:21:35 AM »
Oh and one other thing, at least it's not boring.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:29:55 AM »
There is a definite improvement in a lot of things to last season. We are creating numerous chances, scoring goals and overall defending better. I know we just don't have the rewards for it the past number of games if you take out Arsenal which was superb. I think we are still 4 or 5 players away, but when you look at what West Ham have spent the past few seasons you can see that we still have a bit to go to rival even their depth of talent. We go at teams, we have the best pure footballer in the league, we are much better in goal. We have room to grow and improve. At LB, LCB, in midfield so we don't get a drop off to Hourihane when Barkley is out. We can improve at RW and we can still improve up front. Ollie has been a wonderful surprise but we cannot put it all on him. I want him to compete for that lone striker spot and we cannot offer that now. In my opinion we are 5 solid players away from top 7/8 on a regular basis.

This season I think we will end up somewhere close to 52 points which will be around 10th/11th. That will be a great improvement on last season and something all of us at the start of this would have happily accepted. The one thing I will say is that while losing to Brighton or West Ham or Leeds isn't great, that we no longer start games in fear of a battering from anyone including the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U etc is a huge step forward. We may still get a hammering here or there but we can also hand them out.

This season as shit as defeats are in the moment, was always about progress. If there is any chance of adding some proper talent in January (hard to do) then maybe 8th or 9th is achieveable. But I will take 11th tomorrow if offered which will mean we will have nights like Arsenal and nights like tonight also.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 12:31:37 AM »
There is something about us this season that makes me feel we may, just may be on the verge of something really, really good.

We seem to veer from haplessly shooting ourselves in the foot to fearlessly brushing aside some of the best sides in the country (and Arsenal). I know this is frustrating, it's really annoying to see games like this evening pan out as it did, but I am starting to get the initial whiff of a 'swagger'.

We quite clearly are a work in progress, and there's a great deal of volatility in the team in that we are inconsistent, but I am honestly starting to think, if a few things go well for us in terms of keeping key players and recruiting well, we could just be on the cusp of significantly happier times.

And I say that as - I believe - the original coiner of the phrase 'happy clappers' on here, and one with a multi year history of being on the miserablist wing of the H&V community.

It's hard to explain, i just see a few things showing immense promise, and I just feel like there might be something about to happen. After years of crushing mediocrity, it is at least interesting to watch.

If only we could actually go to the games.

I am in no doubt about this.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 12:33:55 AM »
Something that I only thought of last week. How many clubs spend three years in the Championship then go on to become established in the Premier League? There aren't that many who do it, and most spend at least a couple of seasons struggling. Twelfth or above will be a great achievement.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 12:35:37 AM »
I love us this season. You never know if we'll absolutely hammer a top side or lose to a shit one and it's fun. If we can cut out stupid errors we'll be a very good side.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 12:36:41 AM »
For me this is the perfect season to have a go in the FA Cup. I am pretty confident we will finish mid table. Hopefully by January that is more cemented than it is now. And if so go for it.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 12:39:17 AM »
For me this is the perfect season to have a go in the FA Cup. I am pretty confident we will finish mid table. Hopefully by January that is more cemented than it is now. And if so go for it.

I actually think it is our volatility that will do for us in the cup.

I think we've more chance of s decent league season

Offline pelty

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 12:41:07 AM »
"I think we are still 4 or 5 players away" - TV

I agree with this, TV; we still need some more depth, but I agree with PW that there are some green shoots here that could become something grand if we keep our better players and add some other quality starters.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 12:42:23 AM »
Seems a bit like BFR's first season to me. We will have some exciting games and others where it doesn't quite click. Lots of the players will go on to become very popular, if they haven't already. We will be nowhere near relegation but won't seriously threaten the top of the table either. And we give ourselves a platform to have a proper go at silverware in the coming seasons.

So, yeah, I'm not getting too distraught after each defeat. Doesn't feel as catastrophic as in previous seasons.

I am more optimistic about the future than I have been since the early good times under Lerner. These guys seem to have put in a far better structure though, so one managerial departure or other change of personnel wouldn't totally derail everything.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:44:43 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 12:43:15 AM »

I actually think it is our volatility that will do for us in the cup.

I think we've more chance of s decent league season

Maybe. You only need 5 or 6 good wins and we are capable of that against any opponents. If we play a decent side, not the muppets who got done against Stoke, then I think we could make a run. But whether it is league or cup, as much as we can win any game it's those stupid errors that will cost us in any game.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 12:44:17 AM »
The worry is that in 1991-92 and also 1979-80, we were on an upward trajectory, whereas we're still suffering now from a decade of failure. Therefore every win is seen as a blip and every defeat a return to the norm.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 12:47:53 AM »
I am not happy about the schoolboy errors of last season rearing their ugly head again but we are clearly better all round from last season. I suspect we will be inconsistent and will have to wait from game to game to find out which Villa will turn up the Dr Jekyll Villa or Mr Hyde Villa. But we can't complain too much about being inconsistent when pretty much every team in the league has been inconsistent. The only consistent team in the league so far has been Sheffield United who have been consistently shite.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 12:48:29 AM »
"I think we are still 4 or 5 players away" - TV

I agree with this, TV; we still need some more depth, but I agree with PW that there are some green shoots here that could become something grand if we keep our better players and add some other quality starters.

I also want to see that depth emerge from the kids. We are starting to see it but our bench still is players that at PL shouldn't be there. Love Elmo, but his time is done. Taylor, AEG, Nakamba, Davis, Engels etc. I want Dean to be brave and throw a talent like Ramsey or Barry on and see what happens. Maybe/hopefully we will see that once we are safe.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 12:49:45 AM »
Although 79-80 we'd been in the third Division a few years before.

I always think third Division to league champions, European champions and back to the second Division in fifteen or so years is one of the most insane journeys in English football.

To put it in context, it's like all that happening between the year before Lerner and now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal