collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:18:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 10:15:04 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Ads
[Today at 10:14:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:11:13 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Richard E
[Today at 10:08:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV82EC
[Today at 10:08:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rougegorge
[Today at 10:08:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 10:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...  (Read 8145 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however...
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 12:50:42 AM »
Someone should write a book about that. Dave.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 12:51:35 AM »
"I think we are still 4 or 5 players away" - TV

I agree with this, TV; we still need some more depth, but I agree with PW that there are some green shoots here that could become something grand if we keep our better players and add some other quality starters.

I also want to see that depth emerge from the kids. We are starting to see it but our bench still is players that at PL shouldn't be there. Love Elmo, but his time is done. Taylor, AEG, Nakamba, Davis, Engels etc. I want Dean to be brave and throw a talent like Ramsey or Barry on and see what happens. Maybe/hopefully we will see that once we are safe.

I wonder what has happened with Engels

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 12:57:35 AM »
Oh and one other thing, at least it's not boring.

We were never being boring. 30 years old, can you believe...

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 12:58:50 AM »
The other thing about this squad is that for the first time in many years, I actually like most of our players and staff.
- We have senior pros like Elmo, McGinn, Jack, Barkley and Mings instead of Lescott, Gabby, Lansbury (in the squad at least!) and Richards taking the piss.
- Mings, whatever your thoughts about him as a player, as a bloke is top notch.
- Trez, who while limited as a player, can't be faulted for effort. He made me chuckle tonight whien he was standing dripping with blood, clearly a bit out of it, seemingly arguing that he shouldn't be going off. 100% effort.
- Jack, from our academy to the country's new great hope, and still seems proper grounded with all he does for local charities.
- Deano, from helping his old man as a kid at the ground to managing us
- Hungry, talented young players getting better and better like Konsa, Luiz and Cash
- Some exciting prospects in the youths like Ramsey and Barry, hopefully who will get some gametime this year.
- Martinez - the best keeper we've had in years. As much as I like Heaton and even Steer, Martinez just seems to be that one step up. And about six steps up from Nyland.

A couple of signings in January to bump the likes of Hourihane and El Ghazi from the bench and challenge the likes of Trez and Targett for a first team spot, and we have every chance of a top 10 spot. Who would possibly have thought that three games before the end of last season?

As Paulie said, it's certainly not boring.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 12:58:58 AM »
Someone should write a book about that. Dave.

As I've said many times before, there's nothing more than can be written on the subject. It's been done to death.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 01:36:40 AM »
"I think we are still 4 or 5 players away" - TV

I agree with this, TV; we still need some more depth, but I agree with PW that there are some green shoots here that could become something grand if we keep our better players and add some other quality starters.

I also want to see that depth emerge from the kids. We are starting to see it but our bench still is players that at PL shouldn't be there. Love Elmo, but his time is done. Taylor, AEG, Nakamba, Davis, Engels etc. I want Dean to be brave and throw a talent like Ramsey or Barry on and see what happens. Maybe/hopefully we will see that once we are safe.

I wonder what has happened with Engels

He made the bench a couple of games ago. Apparently injured again. We don't half have some players made of glass.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 07:06:21 AM »
I know what you mean Paulie, if this team believed they could be a real force. But there is a missing ingredient, it might be that one player we need to install leadership on the pitch.
We could be on the verge of greatness but we need to find the missing link or
A New Dawn Fades

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 07:40:21 AM »
I agree and have said to mates this season, even when we lose the players look like they believe they are an established upper level PL team, we belong here.

Biggest problem is that we look pretty weak after the first XI but that’s to be expected.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
I have to agree.
I’m really enjoying watching us play at the moment.
Compared to last season the entertainment factor has gone through the roof and personally I look forward games with excitement rather than dread.
We’re on the up and top 10 is definitely within our capabilities this season.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »
Just taking the West Ham game as an example of that ‘swagger’ we went behind early, but once they settled down, to me there was a noticeable switch in the balance of play. West Ham showed us a lot of respect I thought and you kind of just knew we’d score. There was an inevitability about it.

Grealish gets a lot of credit for his work in tight spaces, quite rightly. But some of the passes to put players through, perfectly timed, weighted and accurate were something I don’t think I’ve ever seen at Villa before. Not big ones, but over 6-10 yards to get players in.

Similarly after the second goal which I missed, west ham just seemed to assume we’d try and play through them, which we did and try and sit back a bit. How long is it since we’ve seen Villa play with this level of quality and confidence in the top flight. Even in injury time with 5 mins left on the clock before the VAR debacle the belief was there, they were striking it around unhurried instead of lumping it forward. Bit more composure at the back and in the opposition box and this team will win many more games than it loses. 1 or 2 signings in Jan and pray god no bad injuries and it’s game on for a Euro spot. 

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 08:31:20 AM »
I love watching the style developing.  Even in the last few minutes last night we weren’t just pumping it long. As frustrating as we are at times I would rather watch us play like we do and lose the odd tight game than be subjected to the eye bleeding dinosaur football that Moyes and Bruce serve up week in week out.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 08:46:11 AM »
Agree with all that's been said, pretty much.
One thing that the commentator said last night chimed for me: he said that Moyes had been keen to add height and ruggedness into the WetSpam side: we really could do with a bit of that in our midfield, because I think sometimes we seem lightweight.
That said, I thought Luiz was excellent last night; McGinn considerably less so.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »
The big difference for me this season is whenever we go a goal behind, I believe that we can come back. So do the players.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 08:55:05 AM »
I really hope we add at least a couple of very good additions to the side in January.  We've been quite lucky with injuries so far, but we're one or two away from being in difficulty, as we had no central defenders or strikers on the bench last night.  We've got players such as McGinn and Mings who are struggling for form as well, but with no real alternatives to either give them a break, or the kick up the arse they need.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »
Sorry banging on about grealish, but there was one shot of him where he was out wide 3 players on him where he just kind of shimmied and took off towards the by-line and the west ham players were just looking at each other obviously thinking what the fk just happened then?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal