collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 23002 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #315 on: October 25, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
Neymar? He couldn’t have done the dribble. Only Messi of your list could have done it. Only Messi.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2020, 12:41:10 PM »
Neymar? He couldn’t have done the dribble. Only Messi of your list could have done it. Only Messi.

I believe Hazard actually did it and scored for Chelsea a couple of seasons ago.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #317 on: October 25, 2020, 12:42:43 PM »
I don't think it's churlish at all.  I think Watkins was much better placed to score, and if he had, we might have taken something from the game.  I'm not going to beat him up over it as he's obviously still far and away our best and most exciting player, but he made the wrong decision in my opinion, and increased the ammunition for numpties like Southgate.
My thoughts exactly. Jack should have passed and looking back he will know this. No one is knocking him. He's adored by us but sometimes you have be honest and admit he's not quite the perfect player. Yet. And I agree about Southgate. He will feel justified with his lamentable misuse of Jack's unique talent. But as someone posted earlier Jack will outlive Southgate's tenure and hopefully a progressive coach will get the England job and utilise his special talents to the full.

Sure, I don't totally disagree with this, and it's at least arguable that of the players on earth who could've done that dribble and not by accident (Messi, Hazard, Neymar, a few othrrs) Jack is the most likely to not convert the resulting chance. But then, all those other players are at superclubs; it remains amazing that Jack is still with us given our current position. Of course he should've scored or passed given the position, but I still can't stop loving that we have, not just a player who can do that, but a homegrown one-of-us iconic number 10 who can do that. It's just great.
Absolutely. Long may it continue.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #318 on: October 25, 2020, 01:25:22 PM »
Actually, having taken the piss all last week, it's clear that what the Villa need is some man-buns.

Only explanation for what happened.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #319 on: October 25, 2020, 01:25:50 PM »
Actually, having taken the piss all last week, it's clear that what the Villa need is some man-buns.

Only explanation for what happened.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #320 on: October 25, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »
A lot has been said about us benefiting from lack of crowd.  Not a lot been said from others about it this weekend funnily enough.  The way we reacted to going one down I do wonder whether if the crowd being there might have helped them react more positively.

Possibly would've roared the Grealish mazy run into the goal.

Actually think BCD will help us next game as a full crowd would be nervous as hell after witnessing the Leeds game so hopefully the players can reset amongst themselves and get Leeds game out of their systems.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2020, 03:41:36 PM »
I don't think it's churlish at all.  I think Watkins was much better placed to score, and if he had, we might have taken something from the game.  I'm not going to beat him up over it as he's obviously still far and away our best and most exciting player, but he made the wrong decision in my opinion, and increased the ammunition for numpties like Southgate.

Spot on.  We could have been talking about the goal of the decade and after the run he'd gone on you can see why Jack was tempted to see if he could finish it off and really make a mark.  But the point is we aren't, we're talking about a 3-0 defeat. It's a team game and if someone is better placed it doesn't matter how the chance has come about, you should aim to get the ball to whoever has the most chance of burying it.  I've seen Messi do just that more than once. Score that and we probably go onto win the game.  And people would still be raving about the goal and Jack's part in it if he'd passed and Watkins had buried it. 

Still Jack's a fantastic player no denying, and he's come a long way since the frustrating days of not backing himself to take a player on or shoot when well placed to do so. 

Online Astnor

« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »
Hopefully we beat them with ease at Ellen road later in the season.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2020, 04:03:55 PM »
Hopefully we beat them with ease at Ellen road later in the season.

Elland, sorry.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »

Spot on.  We could have been talking about the goal of the decade and after the run he'd gone on you can see why Jack was tempted to see if he could finish it off and really make a mark.  But the point is we aren't, we're talking about a 3-0 defeat. It's a team game and if someone is better placed it doesn't matter how the chance has come about, you should aim to get the ball to whoever has the most chance of burying it.  I've seen Messi do just that more than once. Score that and we probably go onto win the game.  And people would still be raving about the goal and Jack's part in it if he'd passed and Watkins had buried it. 

Or the keeper may have saved Ollie's shot and we go on to lose 3-0.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2020, 06:42:00 PM »

Or the keeper may have saved Ollie's shot and we go on to lose 3-0.

Indeed he may - and I haven't assumed Watkins would have scored, just that he had a better chance of scoring because he was better placed.  It's about maximising your chances.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2020, 09:11:33 PM »
I've held back from the thread for a couple of days to let people get things out of their system but now on to how I saw the game.

In my opinion there was nothing much between the teams until the first goal, both sides had decent chances they hadn't been able to take and both defences had been doing a good job so the game was on a knife edge to be tipped one way or the other by a bit of brilliance or a mistake. In the end it was a couple of very small mistakes by us that turned the game, Martinez needed to push the ball away better and Mings was probably a yard to narrow which meant he couldn't deal with the 2nd ball.

After that I think the defeat was always on the cards because they had control over the game. That said the 2 goals we conceded were really disappointing because we stood off and let him pick his spot both times, he's not a good enough player to deserve that much respect.

Online FatSam

« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2020, 10:18:12 PM »
he's not a good enough player to deserve that much respect.
Agreed, but he had just demonstrated his intention to throw himself on the floor looking for a penalty at any opportunity, which might have had something to do with it. He had clearly got under Mings’ skin

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #328 on: October 25, 2020, 10:23:53 PM »
Agreed, but he had just demonstrated his intention to throw himself on the floor looking for a penalty at any opportunity, which might have had something to do with it. He had clearly got under Mings’ skin

Agreed, I think they were scared to touch him in the box because he was desperate to go over for a penalty, still poor goals where we showed him too much respect though.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #329 on: October 26, 2020, 08:26:49 AM »

Agreed, I think they were scared to touch him in the box because he was desperate to go over for a penalty, still poor goals where we showed him too much respect though.
His third goal was piss poor defending. I counted 4 players who could have tackled him or at least not allowed him the luxury of picking a spot and placing the ball there. That was the kind of goal you'd normally see in a testimonial match. We can only hope that the training ground this week will be the place to iron that kind of schoolboy defending out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal