collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 23021 times)

Offline frank black

Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »
We seem a bit like a MON team (hopefully as good). Normally solid, good on the counter-attack, but struggle when a team has players behind the ball.

They were all out attack and all out defense man for man, absolutely brilliant fitness. They certainly weren’t defensive though.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2020, 07:03:07 PM »
What concerns me is how quickly we have gone from "Ruthless to Toothless"
Are Leeds really that much better than us or is the gulf between the two coaches so big?
Great start to the season but let's not get complacent ......

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #272 on: October 24, 2020, 07:46:08 PM »
I think last night showed Trez ain’t good enough.   He was AWOL so many times.  Targett we know about.  I also think Cash is a bit of a liability but I think there is a good chance he will come good.  I hope the scouts are lining up some upgrades in January.  If they do it will be a very interesting season. 

But yes goals change games.   If only Jack had scored - we all would be very chipper today.

As I mentioned in another thread, Trezeguet looks great in a win and gets blamed for being shit in a defeat, it's the nature of his style.

They did us, their fans will be excited... It just didn't work for us last night. It was breakneck stuff and a really entertaining 50 minutes.

There were little errors from us across the pitch and they were pretty much faultless. Much like the Liverpool game.

I'm really pissed off about it but it happens. It's how we react next that matters.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2020, 07:51:19 PM »
Proper ruined my weekend though.  Hope we don’t get too many more Friday night kick offs.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2020, 08:58:00 PM »
The social club where I watched the game is considered to be more of a nose club than Villa. There wasn't a spare seat to be had. And at least 50% were noses. Just sayin.

Online Skerra

« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2020, 09:09:18 PM »
Can always tell when Jack isn’t having a really good game as he gets petulant and booked. He should really try to cut out that side of his game as it shows the opponents they are getting the better of him.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2020, 09:14:04 PM »
Even after conceding 3 we still have the best defensive record in the division.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #277 on: October 24, 2020, 09:37:06 PM »
Can always tell when Jack isn’t having a really good game as he gets petulant and booked. He should really try to cut out that side of his game as it shows the opponents they are getting the better of him.

Same with Mings.  Only Jack is as good as he thinks he is.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2020, 09:42:42 PM »
What concerns me is how quickly we have gone from "Ruthless to Toothless"
Are Leeds really that much better than us or is the gulf between the two coaches so big?
Great start to the season but let's not get complacent ......

I think on the flip side of not getting complacent is everyone not over reacting - we weren’t great but we had a shot cleared off line & Jack’s run before they scored so we were not exactly toothless.

We have pretty much played the same teams as them yet we have 2 points more - they were better than us 2nd half last night, both coaches sent their teams out to play the only way they do, they executed better.

Bring on Southampton :-)

Offline The Edge

« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2020, 11:32:46 PM »
Just watched the replay on motd. Made us look a lot better than I remember it. Bamfords first and especially his third were eminently avoidable. And Jack really should have put Watkins in for a sitter after his brilliant run. A goal there alters the whole course of the game. I know it's almost sacrilegious to criticise Jack but that did cost us dearly last night.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2020, 11:40:35 PM »
People acting like it was an open goal for Watkins. With the pass being rolled to him defenders would've been sliding themselves in to block and also still had the keeper to beat.

Think Jack had every right to shoot considering he'd just gone on the incredible run but possibly should've shot a little earlier or looked up to see the keeper was quite a way over to his left. Reminded me of the run he had v Fulham in the first play off final.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2020, 11:46:42 PM »
People acting like it was an open goal for Watkins. With the pass being rolled to him defenders would've been sliding themselves in to block and also still had the keeper to beat.

Think Jack had every right to shoot considering he'd just gone on the incredible run but possibly should've shot a little earlier or looked up to see the keeper was quite a way over to his left. Reminded me of the run he had v Fulham in the first play off final.
Watkins was literally unmarked no more than 10 yards out. Not knocking Jack but he really should have given it Watkins.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:00:01 AM by The Edge »

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »
Did anyone notice this?

The three goals that Bamford scored came almost exactly after that “penalty” incident with Mings where Mings picked him up by the scruff of his neck. I hate him for it, but Bamford doing this caused Mings to lose his calm and go to pieces - we all know Bamford has form with his diving and cheating, and when he went over, it clearly was a designed wind up to get Mings fired up. It worked, Mings was all over the place after that and Bamford scored 3.

I hate him for it, but he certainly got inside Mings’ head with that game. And it bloody worked. He knew exactly how to fire him up and make him lose his concentration.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #283 on: October 25, 2020, 12:11:00 AM »
The beef between them seems like it was apparent as early as the first half. Bamford got in between Mings and Konsa for a diving header that flashed wide. From one of the replays you could see Bamford saying something to Mings immediately afterwards, presumably to the effect of "You'd better watch it". On what grounds I'm not sure, as Mings didn't touch him

Offline pelty

« Reply #284 on: October 25, 2020, 01:13:30 AM »
Biggest issue for me is the way we did not respond after the first goal and stopped playing after the second. With the exception of Watkins, Konsa (except the third goal when four Villa players stood and admired Bamford's boots), and, to a lesser degree, SJM, I thought every player had a very bad night. Even Martinez' positioning was bad on the opening goal which forced him to palm it rather than collect it, but he was the least of our problems last night.

Still, 12 points from 15, so I am not going to get wound up yet. But they all better show up against Southampton next week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal