collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 23060 times)

Offline WilliamStanding

Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2020, 11:52:17 PM »
Getting attention from Leeds fans on Twitter is like a turkey getting attention from Bernard Mathews.

Offline wince

« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2020, 11:52:53 PM »
We were bound to lose at some point. Onwards and upwards

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2020, 11:53:43 PM »
When Bielsa hooked his player off after 20 minutes, I thought it's probably not going to be our night. To be honest, I really respect that sort of ruthlessness from a manager. Smith should have done the same to Barkley after his horror pass at 0-1, which directly resulted in their second.

I thought the same but would be incredibly brave of any manager to take off a big name like Barkley, could of soured the whole loan, easy for Bielsa to sub his no name players. Smithy could of perhaps shifted Ross out to the right in place of Trez and put Nkamba on to try and get hold of the midfield however it seemed like leeds wingers did most of the damage so who knows how that would of worked out.
Barkley has had games like this for Everton and Chelsea, thats probably why they've loaned him out. It's up to us to see if we can do something with him.

The day Ross Barkley is too good for us to upset and sub off when having a mare is a day to give up watching us. Smith's comments on Ross so far have been, worryingly, on the starstruck side (has he ever managed a higher profile player who wasn't already at any club he's been boss of?). I'd be right pissed off tonight if I was Conor Hourihane.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »
Fucking hell

Sorry I’m a bit pissed and missing the point?

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2020, 12:00:29 AM »
When Bielsa hooked his player off after 20 minutes, I thought it's probably not going to be our night. To be honest, I really respect that sort of ruthlessness from a manager. Smith should have done the same to Barkley after his horror pass at 0-1, which directly resulted in their second.

I thought the same but would be incredibly brave of any manager to take off a big name like Barkley, could of soured the whole loan, easy for Bielsa to sub his no name players. Smithy could of perhaps shifted Ross out to the right in place of Trez and put Nkamba on to try and get hold of the midfield however it seemed like leeds wingers did most of the damage so who knows how that would of worked out.
Barkley has had games like this for Everton and Chelsea, thats probably why they've loaned him out. It's up to us to see if we can do something with him.

The day Ross Barkley is too good for us to upset and sub off when having a mare is a day to give up watching us. Smith's comments on Ross so far have been, worryingly, on the starstruck side (has he ever managed a higher profile player who wasn't already at any club he's been boss of?). I'd be right pissed off tonight if I was Conor Hourihane.

Hourihane wouldn't have made a difference tonight. He'd have been passed through like the rest of the team tonight.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2020, 12:11:50 AM »

Hourihane wouldn't have made a difference tonight. He'd have been passed through like the rest of the team tonight.

Maybe so but if nothing else hooking Barkley after his pathetic effort to stop the Leeds second goal might have laid down a marker or two. I thought Hourihane should have come in for Trez soon after half time and sat in next to Luiz with McGinn moving over.

Offline Neal and Winton

« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2020, 12:12:47 AM »
I would have brought Nakamba and Hourihane on in the second half frankly Barclay was a passenger from the kick off and McGinn didn’t leave the changing room at half time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2020, 12:14:25 AM »

Maybe so but if nothing else hooking Barkley after his pathetic effort to stop the Leeds second goal might have laid down a marker or two. I thought Hourihane should have come in for Trez soon after half time and sat in next to Luiz with McGinn moving over.

What was Barkley doing for the second, he just jogs around in a sort of vague, half-hearted fashion then wafts his foot nowhere near the ball.  Odd.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2020, 12:24:01 AM »
Agbonlahor is a prick, and has been for ages. We were crap tonight, but haven't been for awhile.

Onwards to the Southampton game where the players need to play alot better than they did this evening.

Fuck Leeds, but they were better than us tonight.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2020, 12:26:50 AM »

Barkley said himself after Leicester he was barely fit to start that game so imagine he wasn't 100% tonight and he certainly flagged when we were chasing the game.

You never know with loan deals. Plenty of clubs have penalty clauses if their player is benched but that's mainly for young players and given we've paid a loan fee of around 11m I'd like to think there's no nonsense clause like that.

I'd leave him out next weekend. We seem to have this weird view any big name player we sign should play evey single minute of every game even if their leg is hanging off (McGinn in December last season). Wesley was also an example of this. Leeds signed Rodrigo for 30m and they left him as a sub for first 3-4 games so he could adapt to the style.

Our squad may not be that great but we simply have to use it this season otherwise we will hit the wall just at the wrong time.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2020, 12:31:07 AM »
I'm resigned to the fact that my stepdaughter is going to marry Patrick Bamford.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2020, 01:04:58 AM »
Reality check. There was too much hoorah anyway, too much expectation. Let them learn from it, and we go again. Pitty it was Leeds but it's done. Let's put it down to Leeds having an exceptional and highly rated manager who out thought Dean and move on. We're still second, and a third of our way to safety. Only Liverpool can move above us on points and we'll still have a game in hand if they do.

Utv.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2020, 01:06:26 AM »
What stood out for me was their one touch play, moving the ball quickly. As good as Jack usually is, he tends to hang on to the ball for too long. Barkley looks like a player carrying an injury, hasn't moved as well the last two games.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2020, 01:12:56 AM »
We're 12 from 15.
No one watched cos its on PPV.
Leeds two years ago were better than most Prem sides and have only got better.
Bielsa is a genius.

A game to learn from and move on.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2020, 01:22:20 AM »
We're 12 from 15.
No one watched cos its on PPV.
Leeds two years ago were better than most Prem sides and have only got better.
Bielsa is a genius.

A game to learn from and move on.

I watched it on PPV but at the pub

Bielsa is a very good manager, genius I’m not sure

Leeds two years ago finished 13th with a different manager.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal