collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34740 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »
I reckon this is the "shock" version, so that a slightly watered down but still shit version will be met with less outrage.
Yes I agree plus they are dangling the carrot for us, Leicester, Newcastle etc to fall in line to be given "special treatment" and join the groupies.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2020, 02:13:14 PM »
I'll bet anything they want to scrap the Charity Shield so as they can play the 'Premier League summer tournament' instead. Scrap 1 game in London that benefits a load of charities around the country for a bunch of games in Asia etc that willl benefit a few clubs. But it's all about fixture conggestion and saving the lower leagues.

I was about to say the same. It’s one game per year so is really neither here nor there with regards to ‘fixture congestion’. However if the Sky 6 know that they have an extra free weekend in summertime, just wait for all the extra Asian trophy bollocks to be arranged.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2020, 02:13:50 PM »
As an aside how are Southampton regarded ahead of us as long standing PL participants? They were out of the league for 7 seasons.

Online danno

« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »
As an aside how are Southampton regarded ahead of us as long standing PL participants? They were out of the league for 7 seasons.

They are counting it by continuous seasons, so technically we have one season in the league. Wolves have two, Southampton seven.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2020, 02:26:40 PM »
It's rolling participation, so to crack the 'big' six, we'd need Everton, Southampton, West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Brighton and Burnley all to suffer a relegation, along with one of ploop, manure, cit£h, chelski, the arse or spuds.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »
It's rolling participation, so to crack the 'big' six, we'd need Everton, Southampton, West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Brighton and Burnley all to suffer a relegation, along with one of ploop, manure, cit£h, chelski, the arse or spuds.
Because aggregate participation would have fucked Citeh?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2020, 02:36:07 PM »

This bit is particularly incredulous.

It is not known what will happen if the plan - which has drawn criticism from supporters' groups, the government and the Premier League executive - is rejected.

The Premier League said "individual proposals" in the plan "could have a damaging impact on the whole game", and that it would continue its own work on a "resolution to the requirement for Covid-19 rescue funding" for the EFL.

However, one theory - which EFL chairman Rick Parry refused to dismiss when questioned specifically about it twice on Sunday - is that the six clubs have been told they could play within the Football League if their Premier League status was threatened.

What does that bit mean, I've no idea?  Does it mean if they're told to get to fuck by all the other PL clubs and kicked out of the PL altogether?

I think it means that the '6' would resign from the Premier League and be welcomed with open arms by Parry at the EFL, that would then become the 78 and leave the remaining Premier League teams stranded on their own.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »
It doesn't matter who the other 3 clubs are or what they use to determine which 3. They are just included to try and make it look better. "Look, it's not just about us 6 clubs, 3 others have the same say, see, we believe in democracy." In reality the votes of those 3 are as meaningless as the other 11 clubs.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »
Sounds a bit of a hollow threat that.  I can imagine them doing so to join a European Super League, but not to play the likes of Brentford and Rotherham.  All I'd do if they did decamp to the EFL if I was the remaining 14 Premier League teams, is laugh at them, and then invite the biggest teams in the Championship (and Scotland if they really wanted to be shithouses) to join a revamped Premier League, with no relegation or promotion for three years.  Enjoy Millwall away, arseholes.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2020, 02:47:57 PM »
The money will follow those 6. Not that they'd bugger off and join the EFL, but in that hypothetical scenario all the TV money would follow them.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2020, 02:53:15 PM »
Sounds a bit of a hollow threat that.  I can imagine them doing so to join a European Super League, but not to play the likes of Brentford and Rotherham.  All I'd do if they did decamp to the EFL if I was the remaining 14 Premier League teams, is laugh at them, and then invite the biggest teams in the Championship (and Scotland if they really wanted to be shithouses) to join a revamped Premier League, with no relegation or promotion for three years.  Enjoy Millwall away, arseholes.
The way I read the comment from Parry was that it was tongue-in-cheek.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2020, 03:20:29 PM »
Telegraph:   Hostile takeover disguised as a rescue package.

Exactly.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2020, 03:21:52 PM »
The money will follow those 6. Not that they'd bugger off and join the EFL, but in that hypothetical scenario all the TV money would follow them.

Not necessarily.  The TV companies will want to cover the league that has the best players and the best players will go to the clubs willing to pay them the most.   It's not a foregone conclusion that those six clubs will have the wealthiest owners or access to the best players in the years to come. 

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »
I reckon this is the "shock" version, so that a slightly watered down but still shit version will be met with less outrage.
Standard negotiation tactic. Hope it backfires on them.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2020, 03:25:06 PM »

Not necessarily.  The TV companies will want to cover the league that has the best players and the best players will go to the clubs willing to pay them the most.   It's not a foregone conclusion that those six clubs will have the wealthiest owners or access to the best players in the years to come.
The TV will follow the highest advertising and subscription revenue.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal