collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34730 times)

Offline exigo

Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2020, 01:00:44 PM »
West Ham calling it out for what it is.
BBC linky.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2020, 01:07:43 PM »
I really don't like the idea of this if it happens.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »
I think this idea is going to fail miserably and hopefully all the other clubs will remember what those 2 shithawk clubs tried to do.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »
I think it's a no from Martin as well.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8829033/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Liverpool-Man-Uniteds-Project-Big-Picture-disgusting-Big-Six-power-grab.html

That's a fantastic article and every football fan should read it (even if it does mean clicking a Daily Mail link)
Who'd have thunk the Mail would be going 'red' whilst the Graun are favouring this stitch up?

FFP is inherently unfair. Talked about this with an Evertonian mate a while back, but how's someone like Blackpool manage to ever survive in the PL when their income is maybe 5% of any of the Sky 6s, and significantly less that even the 17th placed club from the previous season.

This is just going to make that same problem far worse. Averaging the money over 3 seasons' performance ties more of it to the more established clubs at the expense of the likes of Leicester or Wolves. They've made terrific strides in recent years, partially because they're able to build on their own success.

It puts all the power in the hands of clubs that have 'special status', basically the football equivalent of the landed gentry. It further cements their position. It's really not good at all for Championship clubs ... or even ones like ourselves, Newcastle, or Leeds who might be justified in feeling that we should be part of 'the establishment'.

We need to be fighting tooth & nail against this. There should be at least 10 other clubs who will be stitched up and so on our side, and arguably West Ham & Southampton should realise that their Premier League status isn't so secure for them to feel comfortable about it either.

Online malckennedy

« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
What are the chances of them getting their way on this? I know we shouldn’t be complacent but surely their chances are remote because at least 11 and probably 14 of the clubs who are disadvantaged by it will not support it?

I imagine they'll have made their support for any financial assistance package to the EFL contingent on support for this in return, so that if small clubs start going bust, they can say that they wanted to help but their kind offers of assistance were rejected.  If was Edens and Sawiris I'd be starting to get the other clubs not mentioned as being part of the new brigade on side.  Our owners have got to be the richest outside of the 'Big 6' haven't they?

It shouldn’t be too difficult to uncouple the proposals to help lower tiers in the pyramid from the naked power grab proposals, should it? The two really are quite separate issues which have been deliberately combined - for the reasons you suggest.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
This bit is particularly incredulous.

It is not known what will happen if the plan - which has drawn criticism from supporters' groups, the government and the Premier League executive - is rejected.

The Premier League said "individual proposals" in the plan "could have a damaging impact on the whole game", and that it would continue its own work on a "resolution to the requirement for Covid-19 rescue funding" for the EFL.

However, one theory - which EFL chairman Rick Parry refused to dismiss when questioned specifically about it twice on Sunday - is that the six clubs have been told they could play within the Football League if their Premier League status was threatened.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2020, 01:41:21 PM »
Who gets special status outside the top 6 is meaningless ,though Leicester who won the league recently and finished 5th have the strongest case.
David Conn in the Guardian points out that reducing the Prem by 2 clubs and a bigger TV share for the EFL will reduce the revenue for most PL clubs but the Champions League format will be extended and the revenues for the top clubs will increase.
The consequence will be that the gap between the top 4/6 and the rest will increase.
And - without the charity shield and other tournament distractions, there'll be more time for one-off lucrative friendly games and things like the World Club Competition that Liverpool competed in, getting a sick-note from the EPL to avoid being fined for not fielding a stronger team in the 'irrelevant' League Cup.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »

This bit is particularly incredulous.

It is not known what will happen if the plan - which has drawn criticism from supporters' groups, the government and the Premier League executive - is rejected.

The Premier League said "individual proposals" in the plan "could have a damaging impact on the whole game", and that it would continue its own work on a "resolution to the requirement for Covid-19 rescue funding" for the EFL.

However, one theory - which EFL chairman Rick Parry refused to dismiss when questioned specifically about it twice on Sunday - is that the six clubs have been told they could play within the Football League if their Premier League status was threatened.

What does that bit mean, I've no idea?  Does it mean if they're told to get to fuck by all the other PL clubs and kicked out of the PL altogether?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2020, 01:44:57 PM »
I imagine they'll have made their support for any financial assistance package to the EFL contingent on support for this in return, so that if small clubs start going bust, they can say that they wanted to help but their kind offers of assistance were rejected...
that's exactly the agenda.
I have no doubt they do not expect to get their proposals through: this is a pre-emptive excuse in the current discussions about trickling money down the pyramid

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2020, 01:49:02 PM »
Solution...... lose the 'Big Six'.

Fuck 'em.

Invite the top Scottish Clubs to replace them.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2020, 01:50:05 PM »
I'll bet anything they want to scrap the Charity Shield so as they can play the 'Premier League summer tournament' instead. Scrap 1 game in London that benefits a load of charities around the country for a bunch of games in Asia etc that willl benefit a few clubs. But it's all about fixture conggestion and saving the lower leagues.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2020, 01:50:36 PM »

Invite the top Scottish Clubs to replace them.

Fuck that even more.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2020, 01:55:24 PM »
I don't get why we're so hung up on not being part of the three stooges (patsies) to the "big six".
Are we saying we'd be in favour of this power grab if they deemed us one of the bigger boys too?

This whole exercise is precisely because we're standing up to the bigger kids, and about to get back our lunch money.

I'd be even more furious if Villa were asked to be one of the three stooges.  What kind of weak-as-piss club would even willingly sign up to that role? 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2020, 01:55:44 PM »
I reckon this is the "shock" version, so that a slightly watered down but still shit version will be met with less outrage.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2020, 01:59:50 PM »
Also proposed is the scrapping of parachute payments.Relegation from the PL would have even more serious financial consequences,even allowing for increased share of TV payments for EFL clubs.Result  again would be a financial weakening of clubs in comparison to the top 6.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal