collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34850 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »
No. Villa should always aspire to compete with the best.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »
I think we already have a thread running for this shit suggestion.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 05:15:20 PM »
The proposal for inequitable voting rights undermines the integrity of the competition. If the 'big six' don't want to compete on equal terms with the other domestic teams then they should just f**k off. They are welcome to start their own 6-team domestic tournament if they want, in addition to a closed shop European Super League.

The big six are obviously confident that losing 25% of future EPL TV revenue to the EFL is more than compensated for by greater access to revenues from expanded European competition. It feels inevitable that the two most successful clubs, who are both US-owned, are actively promoting this direction of travel. Perhaps it would be inevitable even if they were UK-owned.

Not that I would want us to be implicated with something as morally dubious as this, but it is interesting that Southampton and West Ham have more status in this proposal than we do due to us having been relegated in 15/16. Other suggestions such as total number of season in the EPL, total number of seasons in the top flight, total number of league titles etc. would obviously have resulted in a different power dynamic.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »
I think we already have a thread running for this shit suggestion.
If we do, please feel free to merge.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 05:16:23 PM »
I hope Man U and Liverpool just fk off to a European Super League.

Better still let their owners bring them 'home' to the MLS. Purely in the interest of boosting the game in the US as they always have Soccer's best interests at heart.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »
Yeah I did it but put it in the wrong forum - other football

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2020, 05:25:01 PM »

Not really, hopefully this proposal is 0% Villa.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2020, 05:29:53 PM »

Not really, hopefully this proposal is 0% Villa.

There no way Villa would vote for this as it stands, it would, effectively, silence us in future discussions, why would we ever agree to that?

Online wince

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2020, 05:41:28 PM »
The gap is unbridgeable because the big 6 bought their way to the top. Bindipper fc, manure, cheatski, Arright ahh kid city et el can fuck the fuck off. Amazing that Southampton are in there given that they have won the square root of fuck and all. It’s about brand protection and if you wanted to bridge the gap, why not make the leagues bigger? 24 in the prem and so on.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2020, 05:41:51 PM »
I was thinking the other day, before today's news, about the EPL's attitude towards the EFL's current economic strife. In particular, the view as expressed by Sean Dyche, that football is no different than any other industry, and that we wouldn't expect hedge funds to help each other out.

This only makes sense in terms of business. Sport, however, relies on there being a competition. The clubs at the top are in their position because they have proven themselves successful within this competition. It wouldn't mean anything if their position was pre-ordained, and there was no jeopardy about losing that position, however unlikely this might seem. It seems to me that you either accept the competition, or you don't. So the big six should either stay within an equitable EPL, or leave.

I don't recall the exact details, but didn't Villa bail-out WBA at some point in the 19th century? I can't remember if this was before or after the establishment of the EFL. My understanding was that this was to ensure that they continued to exist so that Villa could continue playing them. I suppose this wasn't necessarily about the authenticity of the competition, and might have been about lucrative local derbies.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2020, 05:55:25 PM »
Is this the same Liverpool FC who just got dicked 7-2 by a “lesser” team?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »
How do they explain away Citehs non PL status and general shitness for years and years.

Offline dave17

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2020, 06:49:49 PM »
How do they explain away Citehs non PL status and general shitness for years and years.
given Southampton and whu are getting special status whereas we and the barcodes aren’t you’d imagine we would be no votes?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2020, 06:51:44 PM »
More like project drawbridge!

Don't forget we already have FFP. This would be project drawbridge part two. In no way should the Premier League comprise less than twenty teams. Unless Manure, City & 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' want to piss off in which case I'm all for it. Then Arse, Spuds and Everton will want out. What kind of super league structure would feel the need to include Southampton (last major trophy 1976) and West Ham (last major trophy 1980). They have both also bobbed up and down the divisions in recent years.

Online danno

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2020, 06:54:24 PM »
So we lead the protests against the five substitutions rule, and we don't get the super special voting status? 

What a coincidence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal