collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34655 times)

Offline danno

Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »
How do Southampton get special status above us? They were in League One and outside the top flight for 7 years out of the last 20.

Liverpool need a feeder club in the league, I thought West Ham was the stranger one

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 02:21:53 PM »
Let's have what exactly is meant by "special status" and on what grounds certain clubs will be granted it. The BBC Sport website is - as so often the case - wrong.  West Ham and Southampton have not been Premier League ever-presents.

This is a carve-out by a self-appointed and self-styled elite. Mark my words, the next step will be the end of collective broadcasting deals.

It doesn't say they've been ever presents. That portion is clumsily worded and punctuated though, I'll give you that.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 03:08:35 PM »
Sadly for them, they won't be able to get it through the current voting structure. A real shame for Ireland's two most glamorous clubs.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
Scrolling down further, there's Pogba, the dabbing twat. He can be at the front of the space shuttle.

Made me laugh 😆

Online manic-road

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 03:26:02 PM »
So proposed by Liverpool's owners and already back by Man U. Hope they fuck off and form a European league. They propose that the League Cup and community shield is scrapped which would deprive charities of income.
I am open minded for reducing the league to 18 teams but this smacks of self righteousness

Offline charlatan

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
Seems they want to shaft the other PL clubs by having a share of everyone's PL income go to the EFL, but none of their Champions League income. Difficult to see why other PL clubs would go along with being guilt tripped into losing power and relative income like this. There seems to be no reason why helping out the EFL has to be linked to any PL restructuring. No club should have special status, not even the Villa.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 04:25:04 PM by charlatan »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »
Amazing when those clubs moan about fixture congestion that they never suggest playing less Champions League games.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »
Amazing when those clubs moan about fixture congestion that they never suggest playing less Champions League games.

Or as a result of that fixture congestion, the period when players need to be resting never seems to coincide with a lucrative friendly in the far east.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 04:42:14 PM »
The quicker these 'important' clubs form a European league the better. Manure plastic fans will soon tire of midtable finishes.Arsenal will change their manager 2 or 3 times a season and Liverpool can claim that Alexander-Arnold is the best RB in the world and the team can avoid 7-2 drubbings.Selfish,odious.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »
I hope Man U and Liverpool just fk off to a European Super League.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
I'd rather they fucked off to the Lancashire Combination League.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2020, 04:50:25 PM »
I might be wrong, but I don't  think this is being discussed in any other threads.

Project Big Picture: Premier League and EFL plan radical reform to avoid crisis
Plan includes top flight giving 25% of future TV deals to EFL
Shake-up devised by Liverpool and Manchester United owners
Paul MacInnes

@PaulMac
Sun 11 Oct 2020 14.14 BSTLast modified on Sun 11 Oct 2020 15.24 BST

Plans for the radical reform of English football, which would include sharing Premier League TV revenue with the EFL but also a concentration of power amongst the “big six” clubs, are being actively considered at the top of the game.

Known as Project Big Picture, the plans have been devised by the owners of Liverpool and Manchester United but embraced by the EFL. If agreed by the Premier League as a whole, the reforms would stave off the immediate financial crisis that threatens to swallow the game. They would also bring to an abrupt end to structures that have been in place for more than 25 years.

According to details first reported in the Daily Telegraph, Project Big Picture would involve the Premier League agreeing to give 25% of its future TV deals to the EFL and bringing an end to parachute payments. It would also involve the top flight shrinking from 20 clubs to 18 and Championship playoffs including the 16th-placed Premier League side, who would compete to stay up against three promotion hopefuls from the second tier.

In return, however, the current voting structure of the Premier League would be abandoned. Instead of one club, one vote, and a majority of 14 being required to pass any change in rules, a new system would give extra power to clubs with “long-term shareholder status”, the nine longest-serving teams in the league.

That group comprises the big six, plus Everton, Southampton and West Ham United. Under the plans it would require only six “long-term shareholder” votes to approve any changes in Premier League rules, a shift that could effectively render the other nine clubs in the top flight powerless.

Other proposed changes are reported to include the scrapping of the League Cup and Community Shield, and the launch of a new “Premier League summer tournament”.

Fourteen Premier League clubs would have to vote in favour of any proposals if they were to be implemented but in a highly critical statement, the Premier League said any discussions should be conducted through the ‘proper channels’.

“We have seen media reports today regarding a plan to restructure football in this country,” the Premier League said in statement. “Football has many stakeholders, therefore this work should be carried out through the proper channels enabling all clubs and stakeholders the opportunity to contribute.

“In the Premier League’s view, a number of the individual proposals in the plan published today could have a damaging impact on the whole game and we are disappointed to see that Rick Parry, chair of the EFL, has given his on-the-record support.

“The Premier League has been working in good faith with its clubs and the EFL to seek a resolution to the requirement for Covid-19 rescue funding. This work will continue.”

Offline jwarry

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 04:54:06 PM »
More like project drawbridge!

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
The pandemic being used as an excuse for a power grab by the top 6? I’m shocked.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2020, 04:55:05 PM »
Let the “big six” go and play in their own league.

I won’t miss them one bit. Promote six up from the championship.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal