collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 20968 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »
Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by.

When you have 72% Possession, only manage 2 shots all game on target and having watched the game I'd say it's a great metric to measure the performance by.

I don’t think having only two shots on target, against a team that defended very narrow and very deep, and did a good of it as well is an indication that we are going to struggle to score this season as Mr Beggar was implying.

I don’t think it was a great attacking performance, but it wasn’t terrible and people tend to ignore the fact that Sheffield United defended pretty well.

Put it like this, if I'd been a neutral watching last night I'd have changed channel.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2020, 04:14:47 PM »
Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by.

When you have 72% Possession, only manage 2 shots all game on target and having watched the game I'd say it's a great metric to measure the performance by.

I don’t think having only two shots on target, against a team that defended very narrow and very deep, and did a good of it as well is an indication that we are going to struggle to score this season as Mr Beggar was implying.

I don’t think it was a great attacking performance, but it wasn’t terrible and people tend to ignore the fact that Sheffield United defended pretty well.

Put it like this, if I'd been a neutral watching last night I'd have changed channel.
I'm also pretty sure when the neutrals saw the fixture they would have avoided it! Both teams were very uninspiring last season, even Utd although they had a great campaign.

I was happy with the performance, but I agree it was a bit dull. Very much like the Burton game we tried too hard to walk it in and not test the keeper enough. Jack's shooting was way off a few times and we over complicate things.

It was the first game of season so will not be too critical and it's been no secret that we are still in the market for another attacking, option with some pace. It was missing last season and it seems Smith knows we need to address it.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »

To be honest I agree with you that its unfair to judge much on a 1st game as it was clearly apparent some players weren't up to speed, and i would have took a draw beforehand tbf.

But the criticism is still relevant after last season. We had something like 16 shots on goal and managed 2 on target last night. Yes they parked the entire bus station, but you just have to look at us last season. What was it 6/7 games we scored 2 goals in? Basically if you score against us you've got a very good chance of at least a draw. If you manage 2 then we're not gonna win...Watkins had the sending off and his curled shot last night and both of those chances he made out of nothing. Grealish was having one of his don't pass nights - indeed I think Watkins set him up a few times, so the lack of creativity and the fact we probably will not face such a defensive team again who will allow us so much possession is a bit worrying imo.

Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by. I’d argue that the two of Grealish’s chances that went just wide when better than Luiz’s header on target for instance.

Regarding scoring goals, we scored two, or more, eleven times last season. So it’s not as concerning as you reckon, especially when you factor in the improvement in the defence towards the end of last season and the fact that we have improved the attacking players on the team.

Specifically in relation to last night, it’s not the possession really, it was the fact that they defended with their defence and midfield in such a deep block. I think Grealish, Watkins and others would benefit from having more space in transition when opposition attack and commit men forwards. I don’t imagine we will play many, if any, other games like last night this season.

Well you're including cup games and scoring 6 past Crewe, and other team's reserves and youth, well i'm on about the league primarily.

I don't know, maybe last night was a hangover from last season and they still haven't adapted to having a striker. I know I was telling them to shoot when the alternative was passing to Samatta or Davis. I just think we've spent 28m on a striker who on paper at least should be our most prolific marksman. It would have been nice last night is someone had created a chance for him, even a 50/50 chance where he didn't have to do all the work himself because frankly he's our best chance of scoring.

I only included the league games. We scored two or more quite a bit, we just also let the opposition scored that many too many times!

I wouldn’t be too worried at the moment about Watkins. If you only look at shots on target, Werner has had one in two games and Salah has had two (excluding penalties). The state of the game made it difficult to create much space around/in their penalty area. The one time he had space to work in he got a player sent off.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »
For most of the game last night we had this slow, languid style which gave SU so much time to get back in positions and organize. It was only after we scored, when they opened up a little to try and chase an equalizer, that we showed a bit more urgency. We have to move the ball quicker from time-to-time to mix it up or we become very predictable and easy to defend.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2020, 05:10:17 PM »
Can't believe Wilder thought Targett should have been sent off at the time of their pen.  I know he's upset about their sending off but it's hardly 9 minute rant worthy.

Their red card was ludicrous I thought. Referee could have consulted linesman or screen on field. Not that clown Mike Dean. That decision gets given against us and we all would have been going ballistic. I'm not a fan of the "double jeopardy" rule either, a penalty is not a guaranteed goal. At least there is a rule that prevented Targetts red card. Egan was very unlucky.

Sheff United are struggling anyway though. Found goals an issue last season and I highly doubt any combination of Burke, McGoldrick, McBurnie are going to change that. Their new keeper reminds me of Kalinic a bit based on the goals he has let in so far. Same money as Martinez too.

I'm sorry but no, it was a clear sending off, and the only thing I'd have been angry if it was us would've been our donkey centre half. He'd got both his arms wrapped around him for crying out loud.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
I'm sorry but no, it was a clear sending off, and the only thing I'd have been angry if it was us would've been our donkey centre half. He'd got both his arms wrapped around him for crying out loud.

Exactly.  It wasn't a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" tussle at all.  Our player would have been clean through if not for the opposition defender having both of his arms around him.  All Ollie was trying to do was get the useless donkey off him, which doesn't strike me as unreasonable and certainly not a reason not to issue a red card.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »

Genuinely couldn’t care less about the neutral....3 points are 3 points against a team that finished comfortably on page 1 of ceefax table last season

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2020, 05:48:38 PM »
Good posts, IanJ and CT Villan. If anything it reminded me of the previous game against Sheff Utd after the break. I need to lower my expectations.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »
I think we'll see Davis starting through the middle with Watkins and Traore either side before long. And it will be a good thing, and we shall prosper.

And McGrath said unto his followers, behold the bounties I have brought thee. And the good people of Birmingham rejoiced and sang the Lord's name heartily. Apart from the Sty Dwellers, festooned in sin, they wandered the barren lands in search of Sherlock Street.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:11:52 PM by Ads »

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #294 on: September 22, 2020, 06:15:12 PM »
If a clear sending off is 40 yards from goal running away from the new nets is a goal scoring opportunity then every goal kick blocked in front of Martinez is a red.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
It was a definite sending off in my view, Ollie would have been through as his awareness and pace beat his man and he was pulled all over the place. Doesn’t matter at what point in the game it is and the ref did well calling it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #296 on: September 22, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »
But for Egan being a cynical cheat, Watkins is through on goal, with no hope of being caught. It is a clear goalscoring opportunity, he has been denied the same by a defender who deliberately impedes his run. The law is clear Sir, a red card must follow and those would be my submissions, unless I can be of any further service Sir?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2020, 06:21:16 PM »
It's a definite red.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #298 on: September 22, 2020, 06:30:01 PM »
The only possible circumstance in which that wasn't a clear red would have been if it was a Villa defender.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #299 on: September 22, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »
I think the goalie may have got there first.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal