collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 20969 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
People forget we were a superb save from being behind last night. In that scenario its highly unlikely we would have got any more than a draw against 10 men on what we created as it was.

People forget we were a sending off offence from being in front early on.

These ifs and buts are fairly meaningless, we were the better team before and after the red card.

To be honest I agree with you that its unfair to judge much on a 1st game as it was clearly apparent some players weren't up to speed, and i would have took a draw beforehand tbf.

But the criticism is still relevant after last season. We had something like 16 shots on goal and managed 2 on target last night. Yes they parked the entire bus station, but you just have to look at us last season. What was it 6/7 games we scored 2 goals in? Basically if you score against us you've got a very good chance of at least a draw. If you manage 2 then we're not gonna win...Watkins had the sending off and his curled shot last night and both of those chances he made out of nothing. Grealish was having one of his don't pass nights - indeed I think Watkins set him up a few times, so the lack of creativity and the fact we probably will not face such a defensive team again who will allow us so much possession is a bit worrying imo.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »
I enjoyed the game, nice to have football back.

Positives

The Mings Konsa partnership which looked good. This was helped enormously by them having a very good keeper behind them, and in Luiz a very good midfielder protecting them. Konsa was excellent, and capped it with a goal. Mings always looks like he has a clanger in him, despite being mostly good (reminds me of Richard Dunne).

Watkins looked shaper than Wesley or Samatta, and when Davis came on he looked even better.

Midfield is a concern. Luiz is good, but McGinn has been off form for a long while now and Hourihane whilst being a good squad member should not be a first choice. Don't even want to think about the options if either of them got injured.

Grealish didn't have his best game, but was still the most talented player on the pitch. Trez worked hard but didn't have a great game.

Liked Cash (but also like Guilbert) but am scratching my head as to why we have not replaced Targett. I would actually pick Taylor over Targett, that's how rubbish he is.

We would not have won that game last year, so I think we are seeing a better Villa this season. We have Traore to come in who would have made a difference. If we do add a player like Barclay to the mix we will much better.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2020, 12:18:42 PM »
There seems to be - on here and in the wider reporting of the game - a preoccupation with the red card decision (something entirely out of our control).

Another take, If Egan doesn't foul Watkins, he gets to the ball before a stranded keeper and scores so we are 1-0 up after 12 minutes, full of confidence and facing a side that has to do more than park the bus to get something from the game - remembering that they scored fewer goals than us last season.

They were organised and very determined to earn a point. It wasn't a thing of beauty but we found a way to win.

In many games last season we took something positive from the performance and hoped that results would improve. Today I'm very happy to take something positive from the result and hope and expect performances will improve.

We are a work in progress, there are other players to come in - just signed and likely - and as a group they will get better. UTV.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
I was going to post my thoughts but Ashton has pretty much said them word for word. I just hope if Freddie and Engels go, we can get a much better LB than either of the two current choices. I know Deano rates Targett but I honestly think that Taylor is the least worse of the two - at least he can defend most of the time. Targett has a rick per game in him and we can’t afford that.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2020, 12:27:37 PM »
Also Targett pisses me off for two reasons other than not being very good
1) He grins inanely whenever he gives a goalscoring opportunity to the opposition
2) He looks as if he was in the cast of the Inbetweeners.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2020, 12:31:54 PM »
We won. That's what we set out to do.

We controlled the game and, penalty aside, they never looked like scoring. (To be fair, even with the penalty their fans were convinced they'd miss).

Room for improvement for sure, but for a first game, we got plenty of practice at playing the ball around and keeping possession, we just need more of a spark. Hopefully, Traore and AN Other will help to provide it.

And I agree with LeeB again, Davis, Watkins and Traore with Luiz, Grealish and McGinn (or AN Other) would be good. I'm still not convinced McGinn is back to fitness, or maybe he is but we're becoming better and he doesn't stand out as much any more.

Goal aside though, neither did we look like scoring.  Two shots on target all game, against ten men. 

There were so many opportunities for us to shoot from outside the box but Luiz, Grealish and Conor were all sitting 10 yards to deep to really have a go. Instead we played it across time after time, from one side to the other 30 yards out. It was completely pointless given how packed the Sheffield box was and how easily they dealt with our crosses into the box.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »

There were so many opportunities for us to shoot from outside the box but Luiz, Grealish and Conor were all sitting 10 yards to deep to really have a go. Instead we played it across time after time, from one side to the other 30 yards out. It was completely pointless given how packed the Sheffield box was and how easily they dealt with our crosses into the box.

I agree, I wish we'd had more shots as we've players in midfield who can all strike the ball well. However, we kept possession and I guess that's half of the point, we kept the ball moving, retained possession and got some practice in.

And we beat them, hahahaha! I love that Wilder started ranting afterwards!

Offline Luke8

« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2020, 01:18:32 PM »

To be honest I agree with you that its unfair to judge much on a 1st game as it was clearly apparent some players weren't up to speed, and i would have took a draw beforehand tbf.

But the criticism is still relevant after last season. We had something like 16 shots on goal and managed 2 on target last night. Yes they parked the entire bus station, but you just have to look at us last season. What was it 6/7 games we scored 2 goals in? Basically if you score against us you've got a very good chance of at least a draw. If you manage 2 then we're not gonna win...Watkins had the sending off and his curled shot last night and both of those chances he made out of nothing. Grealish was having one of his don't pass nights - indeed I think Watkins set him up a few times, so the lack of creativity and the fact we probably will not face such a defensive team again who will allow us so much possession is a bit worrying imo.

Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by. I’d argue that the two of Grealish’s chances that went just wide when better than Luiz’s header on target for instance.

Regarding scoring goals, we scored two, or more, eleven times last season. So it’s not as concerning as you reckon, especially when you factor in the improvement in the defence towards the end of last season and the fact that we have improved the attacking players on the team.

Specifically in relation to last night, it’s not the possession really, it was the fact that they defended with their defence and midfield in such a deep block. I think Grealish, Watkins and others would benefit from having more space in transition when opposition attack and commit men forwards. I don’t imagine we will play many, if any, other games like last night this season.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2020, 01:25:08 PM »
We won. That's what we set out to do.

We controlled the game and, penalty aside, they never looked like scoring. (To be fair, even with the penalty their fans were convinced they'd miss).

Room for improvement for sure, but for a first game, we got plenty of practice at playing the ball around and keeping possession, we just need more of a spark. Hopefully, Traore and AN Other will help to provide it.

And I agree with LeeB again, Davis, Watkins and Traore with Luiz, Grealish and McGinn (or AN Other) would be good. I'm still not convinced McGinn is back to fitness, or maybe he is but we're becoming better and he doesn't stand out as much any more.

Goal aside though, neither did we look like scoring.  Two shots on target all game, against ten men. 

I thought Luiz in particular signposted his shots last night. Most if not all were blocked. Hourihane should have done better with the one before half time. Jack just went wide of the right post with a good effort. In fairness, they defended the area in front of the box really well. Berge in particular was excellent.

We really struggled to get in behind them out wide. I was expecting a bit more from Cash in this regard. Though Trez offered absolutely nothing. McGinn or Traore tucking in to free Cash up might be a better bet going forward. 

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »

Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by. I’d argue that the two of Grealish’s chances that went just wide when better than Luiz’s header on target for instance.

Spot on - it’s always a bugbear if mine that those crosses that zip across the face of the goal, and are inches short of someone getting a touch which would put it in the back of the net, are often the closest thing to a goal without scoring, yet they don’t even count as a shot, let alone on or off target. We had 2 or 3 of those last night.

Then the stats count some lame effort that trickles straight at the goalkeeper as if it was an achievement.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #265 on: September 22, 2020, 01:35:13 PM »

I agree, I wish we'd had more shots as we've players in midfield who can all strike the ball well. However, we kept possession and I guess that's half of the point, we kept the ball moving, retained possession and got some practice in.

I don't think I've ever seen such epic post-match interviews before.  Most managers do three or four minutes each to the likes of the BBC, Sky, and their own in-house website. If Mourinho and Guardiola are in a bad mood, you're lucky to get half a dozen words and a couple of shrugs of the shoulders.  But Wilder went for it like an unemployed actor asked to fill in for Laurence Olivier.  Jesus Christ, he was going to have his say, and he was going to make sure he repeated it for a good 10 minutes to anybody paid to listen.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #266 on: September 22, 2020, 01:36:14 PM »

I also agree. It was driving me mental that Luiz, in particular, didn't pull the trigger on a few occasions, also Hourihane and Grealish.

I think Targett just looks like he's grinning because he has those massive choppers.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #267 on: September 22, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »
But c'mon Amfy, that's what the sexy Expected Goals number takes into account...
Had to laugh at a weird one at the weekend. Think it was Leicester's Exp.Goals which was less than one and they actually scored four.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by.

When you have 72% Possession, only manage 2 shots all game on target and having watched the game I'd say it's a great metric to measure the performance by.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2020, 01:48:23 PM »
Personally I like the fact that despite the win, most people weren't overly happy with the performance and can see that we didn't play that well.  It means we're not settling for making up the numbers and actually want to do something this season.

I'm not sure what else were were meant to do against a team that just sat back and defended once they went down to 10 men. We had 72% of the possession and yes, we could have done better with it at times but it wasn't a dreadful performance by any means.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51779562

Newcastle scored 5 minutes after Egan again got sent off and had 8 shots on target in the end. It was actually a similar situation as Sheffield had just played us while it was Newcastle's first game after 3 months off.

I don't think anyone is saying we should've won 5 or 6 nil but it would've been nice to have had a few shots on target and only desperate goalline clearances and shots hitting post/bar stopping us from scoring. Did we even have a shot on target before the goal.

We seem to have a massive issue playing v 10 men for some reason given all the points we wasted last season so it would be nice for once to have a comfortable victory in that situation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal