collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 21261 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2020, 01:55:05 PM »
Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by.

When you have 72% Possession, only manage 2 shots all game on target and having watched the game I'd say it's a great metric to measure the performance by.

If you didn't see the game and judged the game by stats only you would conclude that Sheff U parked the bus.  If you watched the game and seen no stats you'd say that Sheff U parked the bus but Villa's constant pressure finally paid off.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2020, 01:58:38 PM »
We seem to have a massive issue playing v 10 men for some reason given all the points we wasted last season so it would be nice for once to have a comfortable victory in that situation.

Those aren't the only two possibilities (comfy win/awful performance). As the Scouse v Chelski match the day before showed us, playing against the bus parked across the back is very difficult. If the best team in the world at the moment (ish) only won 2-0 with one of those being a major mistake from their goalie then we might think about cutting our lads some slack for 'only' winning the game 1-0.

We won. Enjoy it :)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #272 on: September 22, 2020, 02:06:24 PM »

To be honest I agree with you that its unfair to judge much on a 1st game as it was clearly apparent some players weren't up to speed, and i would have took a draw beforehand tbf.

But the criticism is still relevant after last season. We had something like 16 shots on goal and managed 2 on target last night. Yes they parked the entire bus station, but you just have to look at us last season. What was it 6/7 games we scored 2 goals in? Basically if you score against us you've got a very good chance of at least a draw. If you manage 2 then we're not gonna win...Watkins had the sending off and his curled shot last night and both of those chances he made out of nothing. Grealish was having one of his don't pass nights - indeed I think Watkins set him up a few times, so the lack of creativity and the fact we probably will not face such a defensive team again who will allow us so much possession is a bit worrying imo.

Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by. I’d argue that the two of Grealish’s chances that went just wide when better than Luiz’s header on target for instance.

Regarding scoring goals, we scored two, or more, eleven times last season. So it’s not as concerning as you reckon, especially when you factor in the improvement in the defence towards the end of last season and the fact that we have improved the attacking players on the team.

Specifically in relation to last night, it’s not the possession really, it was the fact that they defended with their defence and midfield in such a deep block. I think Grealish, Watkins and others would benefit from having more space in transition when opposition attack and commit men forwards. I don’t imagine we will play many, if any, other games like last night this season.

Well you're including cup games and scoring 6 past Crewe, and other team's reserves and youth, well i'm on about the league primarily.

I don't know, maybe last night was a hangover from last season and they still haven't adapted to having a striker. I know I was telling them to shoot when the alternative was passing to Samatta or Davis. I just think we've spent 28m on a striker who on paper at least should be our most prolific marksman. It would have been nice last night is someone had created a chance for him, even a 50/50 chance where he didn't have to do all the work himself because frankly he's our best chance of scoring.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #273 on: September 22, 2020, 02:08:10 PM »
We seem to have a massive issue playing v 10 men for some reason given all the points we wasted last season so it would be nice for once to have a comfortable victory in that situation.

Those aren't the only two possibilities (comfy win/awful performance). As the Scouse v Chelski match the day before showed us, playing against the bus parked across the back is very difficult. If the best team in the world at the moment (ish) only won 2-0 with one of those being a major mistake from their goalie then we might think about cutting our lads some slack for 'only' winning the game 1-0.

Liverpool scored two goals in 5 minutes after the red card after not creating much v 11 men so I'd say they exploited things pretty comfortably against a top 4 level team.

Last season we drew 0-0 v West Ham despite having 30 minutes v 10 men, lost at Arsenal despite leading when they had a man sent off (and that was also first half), were 1 down at Watford when they had a red card and got worse and lost 3-0 and also lost at Bournemouth although we were 2 down when they had the red.

I can't imagine any other top flight club comes close to that sort of record of failing to win so often v 10 men so it's just something I'd like us to be a bit more competant at. It shouldn't take us 50 minutes to score a goal once oppo go down to 10 men for example.

Hopefully we'll learn from this and just like beating Arsenal will mean more points off top 6 we'll now win games more comfortably in this situation.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #274 on: September 22, 2020, 02:08:17 PM »
hopefully we take more points off the teams who we expect to be close to also

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #275 on: September 22, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »
Also Targett pisses me off for two reasons other than not being very good
1) He grins inanely whenever he gives a goalscoring opportunity to the opposition
2) He looks as if he was in the cast of the Inbetweeners.

3) He goes off injured in games in which he’s getting absolutely roasted. (This is not necessarily a bad thing for the team).

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »
Can't believe Wilder thought Targett should have been sent off at the time of their pen.  I know he's upset about their sending off but it's hardly 9 minute rant worthy.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
And can't believe that he could not see the difference between each incident. I think he's starting to feel a bit of pressure.  Leeds up next for them, I think that might see a few more Red cards.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2020, 02:56:21 PM »
Shots on target isn’t a particularly great metric to measure dominance/performance by.

When you have 72% Possession, only manage 2 shots all game on target and having watched the game I'd say it's a great metric to measure the performance by.

Ok, they had 1 shot on target so we're twice as good as they are.

Off target was 18 v 4, so we're 4.5 times better

Possession was 72 v 28 so we're 2.5 times better.

Corners 10 v 4, 2.5 times better

Goals 1 v 0. We were the best and they were all fart and no shit.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2020, 03:15:53 PM »
Can't believe Wilder thought Targett should have been sent off at the time of their pen.  I know he's upset about their sending off but it's hardly 9 minute rant worthy.

Their red card was ludicrous I thought. Referee could have consulted linesman or screen on field. Not that clown Mike Dean. That decision gets given against us and we all would have been going ballistic. I'm not a fan of the "double jeopardy" rule either, a penalty is not a guaranteed goal. At least there is a rule that prevented Targetts red card. Egan was very unlucky.

Sheff United are struggling anyway though. Found goals an issue last season and I highly doubt any combination of Burke, McGoldrick, McBurnie are going to change that. Their new keeper reminds me of Kalinic a bit based on the goals he has let in so far. Same money as Martinez too.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2020, 03:16:30 PM »

Some people just can't seem to enjoy it though. It's as if they have to discect every negative part of a win now. Strange.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:19:31 PM by Clampy »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2020, 03:25:28 PM »
I am waiting for someone to dig out the possession stats of the European Cup final to decide whether we deserved to win it or not. I am black and white on these matters. Obviously I prefer a good dominant performance but for me a win is a win.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2020, 03:49:51 PM »
I think we're a side that takes a few games to get into our stride. They looked a little bit ahead of us in terms of fitness as well I thought. Great win and I expect performances will improve over the next few weeks.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »

I don’t think having only two shots on target, against a team that defended very narrow and very deep, and did a good of it as well is an indication that we are going to struggle to score this season as Mr Beggar was implying.

I don’t think it was a great attacking performance, but it wasn’t terrible and people tend to ignore the fact that Sheffield United defended pretty well.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »

If you didn't see the game and judged the game by stats only you would conclude that Sheff U parked the bus.  If you watched the game and seen no stats you'd say that Sheff U parked the bus but Villa's constant pressure finally paid off.

Or more correctly, if you didn't see the game and judged the game by stats only you would conclude that Sheff U parked the bus and/or Villa were poor in attack.  If you watched the game and seen no stats you'd say that Sheff U parked the bus but Villa's constant pressure finally paid off despite being very poor in attack.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal