collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 21375 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2020, 10:53:44 AM »
People forget we were a superb save from being behind last night. In that scenario its highly unlikely we would have got any more than a draw against 10 men on what we created as it was.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #241 on: September 22, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
We won. That's what we set out to do.

We controlled the game and, penalty aside, they never looked like scoring. (To be fair, even with the penalty their fans were convinced they'd miss).

Room for improvement for sure, but for a first game, we got plenty of practice at playing the ball around and keeping possession, we just need more of a spark. Hopefully, Traore and AN Other will help to provide it.

And I agree with LeeB again, Davis, Watkins and Traore with Luiz, Grealish and McGinn (or AN Other) would be good. I'm still not convinced McGinn is back to fitness, or maybe he is but we're becoming better and he doesn't stand out as much any more.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2020, 10:55:17 AM »
Worried for all those who have bought a Konsa shirt. Two more goals from him and we may have to retire the number.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »
Wilder "not coming out to mug off" then states Targett should have been sent off as the ball was 4 yards away on the challenge.........

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »
We won. That's what we set out to do.

We controlled the game and, penalty aside, they never looked like scoring. (To be fair, even with the penalty their fans were convinced they'd miss).

Room for improvement for sure, but for a first game, we got plenty of practice at playing the ball around and keeping possession, we just need more of a spark. Hopefully, Traore and AN Other will help to provide it.

And I agree with LeeB again, Davis, Watkins and Traore with Luiz, Grealish and McGinn (or AN Other) would be good. I'm still not convinced McGinn is back to fitness, or maybe he is but we're becoming better and he doesn't stand out as much any more.

Goal aside though, neither did we look like scoring.  Two shots on target all game, against ten men. 

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2020, 11:08:57 AM »
A lot of people looking for pace in the game last night.  You can't do anything with that against a side who are very organised at defending deep.  It doesn't matter how quick you are there is nowhere to go.  As soon as they were down to 10 men they reset their stall out.  We didn't react to their new formation until into the 2nd half when we brought Davis on.  That should have come sooner as it showed how effective he is at keeping hold of the ball and laying it off which was far more effective than anything else we were doing earlier.  We're nowhere the level of Man City, Arsenal or Liverpool at working through a stubborn defence, we just don't have enough players at that level. 

Overall I was very pleased with the effort and result. Sheff Utd are a difficult nut to crack but we looked the far better team and deserved to crack that nut.  It's also great to have a keeper who gives out such confidence to those in front of him.  He is a very commanding figure.   

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2020, 11:15:46 AM »
Personally I like the fact that despite the win, most people weren't overly happy with the performance and can see that we didn't play that well.  It means we're not settling for making up the numbers and actually want to do something this season.

I’d say a bit of yes & no on that one Risso

Yes we can always improve & certainly there is room to significantly improve on last night :-) but for some it’s a default position to moan about something.

Highlighting concerns & weaknesses is a game we all play (& in the main we all tend to agree on the issues) but when you see nonsense like ‘dreadful performance’ written after a win with a clean sheet you have to question whether some find any joy in the game anymore.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2020, 11:18:04 AM »
We've recently struggled against teams with 10 men.  We've recently struggled against teams like Sheffield United who are strong defensively and well organised.  I will take this result all day long.  Performances will get better but results might not.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2020, 11:18:43 AM »
People forget we were a superb save from being behind last night. In that scenario its highly unlikely we would have got any more than a draw against 10 men on what we created as it was.

People forget we were a sending off offence from being in front early on.

These ifs and buts are fairly meaningless, we were the better team before and after the red card.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2020, 11:19:52 AM »
Just watched Wilder's post-match interview on the Sky Sports website. I like him, and think he's a great manager, but it's deeply enjoyable to see how pissed off he was.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2020, 11:21:46 AM »
Just watched Wilder's post-match interview on the Sky Sports website. I like him, and think he's a great manager, but it's deeply enjoyable to see how pissed off he was.

We'd be the same but rules is rules.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »
Last night we had a fairly easy win against a side we should be comparable to this season. As Amfy said at the end of last season - we would have settled for seventeenth and what we saw was what it's like. This season we'd settled for mid-table and last night was what it's like; beat the teams round you at home and anything else is a bonus. Ultimately, you're not going to go down if you finish above Sheffield United.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2020, 11:24:15 AM »
I like him too. What you see is what you get, a down to earth grafter with a brain. I'm just impressed how he manages to avoid swearing as he often looks like he's going to at any moment. I like the way he referred to Dougie as "David Luiz".

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #253 on: September 22, 2020, 11:26:33 AM »
Just wondering, if Mings had been sent off and we played for 80mins with 10 men against Sheff Utd. What do you think the score would have been ?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #254 on: September 22, 2020, 11:31:39 AM »
Just wondering, if Mings had been sent off and we played for 80mins with 10 men against Sheff Utd. What do you think the score would have been ?

15-0. We'd have battered them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal