collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 515078 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Emiliano Martinez - signed
« Reply #810 on: May 28, 2021, 11:40:05 AM »
I was thinking last night about how strange and atypical, at least from my recollection, Emi’s career seems to be. He had been at Arsenal an age with a number of unremarkable loan spells. Then suddenly he has a 6 month spell in Arsenal’s team due to injury and his career blows up. He’s been an incredible signing for us and has probably trebled his value already. It’s just really odd that such a talented goalkeeper just appeared to be drifting along, with little fanfare, and now is in the company of the best keepers around.

I think he was well appreciated in his loan spell at Reading.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #811 on: May 28, 2021, 11:42:49 AM »
Harry Kane's had a vaguely similar career trajectory. Some pretty underwhelming loan spells.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #812 on: June 02, 2021, 12:50:48 PM »
Big day for Emi today where hopefully he'll earn his first cap for Argentina in their World Cup qualifier against Chile.

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #813 on: June 02, 2021, 01:24:07 PM »
Big day for Emi today where hopefully he'll earn his first cap for Argentina in their World Cup qualifier against Chile.

I think the game is on Friday RCF. Unless you mean the team gets selected today?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #814 on: June 02, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »

I think the game is on Friday RCF. Unless you mean the team gets selected today?

My mistake, it's tomorrow night (1am Friday UK). A lot of talk in Argentina about Emi and how he should be the Nº1.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #815 on: June 02, 2021, 03:10:24 PM »
He bloody should be.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #816 on: June 02, 2021, 04:41:42 PM »
It would be great if he is plus the 'other' Emi will see how playing for the Villa can get you in the national side. As TV posted yesterday, our Emi is taking good care of him though he's not expected to make the final cut for Copa America.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #817 on: June 03, 2021, 12:01:26 AM »
Emi starting for Argentina tomorrow vs Chile

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #818 on: June 03, 2021, 12:24:58 AM »
I was thinking last night about how strange and atypical, at least from my recollection, Emi’s career seems to be. He had been at Arsenal an age with a number of unremarkable loan spells. Then suddenly he has a 6 month spell in Arsenal’s team due to injury and his career blows up. He’s been an incredible signing for us and has probably trebled his value already. It’s just really odd that such a talented goalkeeper just appeared to be drifting along, with little fanfare, and now is in the company of the best keepers around.

When you think about it though....Jed Steer had similar path with us. I know it was lower level but he'd been with us since July 2013, played in odd cup game and was just constantly loaned out and deemed not good enough to ever be number one. Then nearly 6 years later plays a huge part in our promotion and very possible he could've staked a serious claim to be a premier league number one if he hadn't done his ACL at Wolves.

Also going back a few years we signed Guzan in August 2008 and he only got serious shot at number one at start of 2012 season after Given made some errors so with that position good players can just be backup for years. Then you see whether those players are just content to be a reserve for most of their career or really take their chance when they get it. Emi and to lesser extent Jed certainly did.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #819 on: June 03, 2021, 01:14:43 AM »
Emi starting for Argentina tomorrow vs Chile

Well deserved. 🙂

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #820 on: June 04, 2021, 03:00:52 AM »
Finished 1-1. Emi didn't much to do other than pick the ball out of the net. Chile got the equaliser (not much Emi could do as the defending was poor from a free kick) and then parked the bus and got a point. It was typical Argentina, all huff and puff and coming close but once again not having enough to blow the house down. The Chile keeper Bravo was really good also, in particular a save from a Messi free kick.

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #821 on: June 04, 2021, 08:35:21 AM »
Highlights from the game.

https://youtu.be/19LhmVpx-3w

As Toronto Villa says, Emi's only involvement is picking the ball put if the net. To save yourselves time, Chile scored in the 34th minute.

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #822 on: June 04, 2021, 08:36:40 AM »
Highlights from the game.

https://youtu.be/19LhmVpx-3w

As Toronto Villa says, Emi's only involvement was picking the ball out of the net in the 34th minute.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #823 on: June 04, 2021, 05:03:20 PM »
Glad Emi has made his debut.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #824 on: June 05, 2021, 07:58:40 PM »
I watched the full game between Argentina v Chile today I was so pleased for Emi making his debut.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal