collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 516173 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Emiliano Martinez - signed
« Reply #480 on: December 12, 2020, 06:09:04 PM »
In a world where players are going for ludicrous money often keepers get overlooked. I know there has been the odd expensive deal for keepers in the past few years like Kepa, Allison etc. But for what we paid for Emi he will win us points on his own. You can certainly argue he won us one today for sure before AEG scored. It’s been a superb piece of business for what was a relatively small fee to get, I would contend one of the top three keepers in the league.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #481 on: December 12, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »
What a save!  What a keeper. One of the very best we've had.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #482 on: December 12, 2020, 07:22:56 PM »
He’s excellent and a great presence.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #483 on: December 12, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »
Straight up earned us 4-6 points already

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #484 on: December 21, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
Brilliant signing just wondered on the early moments of madness vs WBA yesterday where he handled ball out of area from misjudged and didn't even get a yellow card when he could have even got red.

Really that was a caution wasn't it?

Superb addition none the less and he was totally right to come here and leave that tawdry arsenal

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #485 on: December 21, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »
Surprisingly Sky didn't add it to the video highlights (same with Hause) so I don't know how bad it was or how much of a goal scoring chance it stopped.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #486 on: December 21, 2020, 09:38:12 AM »
This might be my worst hot take since suggesting Paul Jewell might be worth a punt as manager.

Anyone else thinking "£17m for a 28 year old reserve with 15 appearances over six years, WTF?" or is it just me? This is more a comment on the madness of the market than the player who seems extremely solid in terms of ability and personality.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #487 on: December 21, 2020, 10:07:40 AM »
Surprisingly Sky didn't add it to the video highlights (same with Hause) so I don't know how bad it was or how much of a goal scoring chance it stopped.

Oh ok well he did it in first couple of mins or so led to their one and only chance from free kick shot
But it was right on the edge of right hand side of area and he came out but was just outside and uneccessary

The thing is Martinez has had this lapse before and previous form.  If you saw FA Cup final this year vs Chelsea he handled it outside the box

Its still amateur and just outside so it's poor..just something that needs monitoring by him and Cutler to cut out anything like this.

Brilliant GK though interesting how he got away with out a yellow card though or even red
Which would have spoilt everything

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #488 on: December 21, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »
This might be my worst hot take since suggesting Paul Jewell might be worth a punt as manager.

Anyone else thinking "£17m for a 28 year old reserve with 15 appearances over six years, WTF?" or is it just me? This is more a comment on the madness of the market than the player who seems extremely solid in terms of ability and personality.

I think you saved yourself there by saying that he seems solid in terms of ability and personality.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #489 on: December 21, 2020, 03:29:26 PM »

Oh ok well he did it in first couple of mins or so led to their one and only chance from free kick shot
But it was right on the edge of right hand side of area and he came out but was just outside and uneccessary

The thing is Martinez has had this lapse before and previous form.  If you saw FA Cup final this year vs Chelsea he handled it outside the box

Its still amateur and just outside so it's poor..just something that needs monitoring by him and Cutler to cut out anything like this.

Brilliant GK though interesting how he got away with out a yellow card though or even red

He did what he needed to do. I wouldn't call it amateurish, more highly professional. And whilst I agree about potential yellow, it was never a red card.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #490 on: December 21, 2020, 03:59:58 PM »
It was a lot of money to pay, but it's turned out to be worth every penny.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #491 on: December 21, 2020, 04:20:25 PM »
Another clean sheet for Emi I'm glad we have him.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #492 on: December 21, 2020, 05:10:46 PM »

He did what he needed to do. I wouldn't call it amateurish, more highly professional. And whilst I agree about potential yellow, it was never a red card.

I don't think it was even a yellow, ref got it right for me. If you look at where the ref places the ball he judged it a couple of inches outside the box and martinez dropped the ball almost immediately because he realised. given how often keepers throw the ball from the edge of their box I reckon handling the ball for a fraction of a second outside the box happens fairly often.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #493 on: December 26, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »
Another clean sheet from Mr Safe hands brilliant buy.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #494 on: December 26, 2020, 05:15:22 PM »
Best signing of the summer by any club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal