collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 515175 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Emiliano Martinez - signed
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »
Where was Oscar Arce from ?

Argentina.
In that case we can safely assume he was Argentinian.

Or Argentinean or Argentine although my preferred usage is Argentinian too. :)

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2020, 11:10:55 AM »
Welcome Emiliano

UP THE VILLA

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »
A little uneasy about this one, seems a very big fee for a relatively unproven 28 year old keeper, but hopefully our goalkeeping troubles are at an end.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2020, 11:18:53 AM »
Rave reviews from my Arsenal-supporting mate just now. "If we didn't need the money there's no way we'd sell him."

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2020, 11:32:04 AM »
I like this:

"“We moved for Emi when we saw the opportunity,” Smith said, “as it is rare to be able to buy a top-class goalkeeper who hasn’t yet reached their peak age and who can therefore be a key player for our club for the long term.”

Me too.

Building for the future. There's a plan and it's a short, medium and long-term one.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »
And she will come from India
with a gun at her side
or she will come from Argentina
with her cemetery eyes that say, "Oh, how my dark star will rise."
Great quote, SE!

Offline Diablo

« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »
my gooner mate is gutted to see him go....:)

UTV
The Doc
Yup mine too. He sounded visibly upset, the depth/strength of feeling actually surprised me - I'm now gonna call him and check he's ok ;-) 

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2020, 11:52:20 AM »
Welcome to Aston Villa Emiliano.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »
The Argentinosaurus as a step up.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2020, 12:07:22 PM »
I like this:

"“We moved for Emi when we saw the opportunity,” Smith said, “as it is rare to be able to buy a top-class goalkeeper who hasn’t yet reached their peak age and who can therefore be a key player for our club for the long term.”

Me too.

Building for the future. There's a plan and it's a short, medium and long-term one.

Yep, I really like that comment because I like the idea of the club looking at the gaps in the squad now but also in the next 2-3 years and signing players that fit the longer term needs as much as the short-term. For example I can see them looking at a midfielder that's a little older than the rest because we have Ramsey coming through so the signing is about filling the gap whilst we see if Ramsey steps up. For other positions they're less sure about the kids coming through so they sign younger players to put less pressure on the kids and let them take a couple of years out on loans, etc.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
how many argentines have played for us before?

I don't think any have ever played a first team game for us, but we have had perhaps one Argetine on the books in Bartlet.

How could you forget Oscar Arce? Or the legendary and apocryphal back four of Aitken-Brown-Arce-Hole?

Aitken was back four (Left back)  Brown Arce and Hole were midfielders (Hole was a very good player and Jimmy Brown was just 15 years and 349 days old when he made his debut). Oscar had a brother Hector who was also at the Villa so we had 2 Arce's. They played around same time as we had Zimbabweans Mwile and Kapengwi? We used to be at the forefront of foreign player signings!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2020, 12:54:46 PM »
Arsenal fans are gutted but have been very gracious in wishing him and us well.

6ft 5 too. *punches the like button”

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »
Arsenal fans are gutted but have been very gracious in wishing him and us well.

6ft 5 too. *punches the like button”

This guy has real integrity and honesty about him
Real love for the arsenal fans and really respects his profession I think he's wonderful and has real passion for football. I feel his emotions.

Has done a superb exit interview to the arsenal fans as well as mentioning how hard he worked to get where he is .

I can't wait for the first interview for Villa I promise you he'll touch everyone hearts.
He's going to be a cult hero and take to out hearts .
He loves the arsenal fans and they love him and I think he such a man of great character who he said came as a boy from Argentina and left a man .

Taken form whoscored.com

"Even the most ardent of Martinez followers couldn't have predicted quite how capable the substitute goalkeeper would prove to be in Leno's absence. As well as playing an important role in Arsenal lifting the FA Cup and Community Shield in a matter of weeks, the stand-in stopper boasted the best save success rate of all Premier League goalkeepers (78.6 per cent), having kept out 33 of 42 shots on target faced. With anything above 75 per cent among the strongest in any season, the fact that Martinez has managed such numbers in each of his previous two loan spells in the Championship suggests it was no fluke either."

Trust me he's going to be adored by all of us.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Emiliano Martinez
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2020, 01:06:18 PM »
Well he has said his goodbye to Arsenal, a nice long video on Instagram. Seems a lovely chap, genuinely hope he is as good as we all hope he is.

He's a great character of integrity. Brilliant exit interview .

Can't wait for his villa interview proper class act in how he conducts himself and what he's arrived for . It's his time now

And now we can have the GK position sorted . Great stuff!

Arsenal (@Arsenal) Tweeted:
Before leaving, @EmiMartinezz1 had one final request: to do a leaving interview to speak to the fans one last time ❤️

📺 This is Emi's farewell to the Arsenal family... https://t.co/rlaGSQkLVy https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1306159869217701889?s=20
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:08:04 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline sid1964

« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
Welcome to the greatest club in the world - enjoy your 4 years (we may even win a cup during that time) - although it is highly unlikely we will play in the champions league

I hope that at the end of the 4 years you will have enjoyed being at our club - there is no pressure here to win as long as we have 1 decent  season during your 4 years you will be looked upon as a legend!

We are very easy to please - just ask the other ex-Arsenal player who signed for us!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal