collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 455241 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #960 on: March 19, 2021, 08:53:59 PM »
Could have had him for £500k from Exeter.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #961 on: March 19, 2021, 09:17:35 PM »
Would he have been the same player though? Harsh to not give Brentford some credit for developing him into the player we bought. We were still getting our shit together as a club during the same time and he could have become another Jordan Bowery or any number of failed youth products we've had without those experiences that moulded him into the player he is.

Offline nigel

« Reply #962 on: March 20, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »
Would he have been the same player though? Harsh to not give Brentford some credit for developing him into the player we bought. We were still getting our shit together as a club during the same time and he could have become another Jordan Bowery or any number of failed youth products we've had without those experiences that moulded him into the player he is.

Agree.
We hadn’t got the best record of bringing players like that on.
I’m not saying Jordan Bowery would have reached the same level, but it would have been interesting to see how things had turned out for him had he gone to somewhere like Brentford under Deans guidance

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #963 on: March 20, 2021, 11:18:17 AM »
Probably means Brentford get another few quid out of us too. Well done Ollie, deserved call up.

His call up will most likely be the trigger that takes it from £28m to £30m (if I’ve remembered figures correctly)
But at the same time his value will almost certainly have doubled

Is it the call up to the squad that triggers the extra payment or the appearance?

We've had players called up to the England squad before who haven't actually featured.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #964 on: March 20, 2021, 02:00:03 PM »

I agree. I get Brian's frustrations but remember where we were as a club in those days, he'd have likely come here, got lost in the system and we'd have sold him somewhere else for 2-3. He'd have done a James Bree.

It's not like we ignored the lower leagues either, our 2012 transfer window was practically shopping in it with Lowton, Westwood, Bennett and Bowery all coming in.

Think when Ollie first started at Brentford he was on the bench a bit and needed a good six months to get up to speed to championship so I doubt he'd have got that patience here.

Offline nigel

« Reply #965 on: March 20, 2021, 04:44:50 PM »
Probably means Brentford get another few quid out of us too. Well done Ollie, deserved call up.

His call up will most likely be the trigger that takes it from £28m to £30m (if I’ve remembered figures correctly)
But at the same time his value will almost certainly have doubled

Is it the call up to the squad that triggers the extra payment or the appearance?

We've had players called up to the England squad before who haven't actually featured.

That’s true, you’re probably right

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #966 on: March 20, 2021, 08:42:17 PM »
To be honest, I'm quite happy with us picking up the likes of Konsa & Watkins, at the prices we paid for them. I don't want a load of players who are 12+ months off being good enough on our bench.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #967 on: March 21, 2021, 12:34:50 AM »

I agree. I get Brian's frustrations but remember where we were as a club in those days, he'd have likely come here, got lost in the system and we'd have sold him somewhere else for 2-3. He'd have done a James Bree.

It's not like we ignored the lower leagues either, our 2012 transfer window was practically shopping in it with Lowton, Westwood, Bennett and Bowery all coming in.

Think when Ollie first started at Brentford he was on the bench a bit and needed a good six months to get up to speed to championship so I doubt he'd have got that patience here.

Enda Stevens has done ok since he left as well

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #968 on: March 21, 2021, 12:50:49 AM »
We could have done, however the cash injection they have had from this makes me happy too. They are a local club to me, all my kids were born in Exeter and this will keep a small club going for years.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #969 on: March 21, 2021, 01:21:12 AM »
We could have done, however the cash injection they have had from this makes me happy too. They are a local club to me, all my kids were born in Exeter and this will keep a small club going for years.

Yes and also I’m not sure Villa would have been right for him then. Clearly it can’t be proven, but I bet Ollie wouldn’t be the player he is now had he joined us in 2017.

Online Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #970 on: March 23, 2021, 08:26:37 AM »
Just listening to a nice report on Ollie on BBC Radio Bristol, after his England call up, his having played for Weston super Mare.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #971 on: March 23, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »

Yes and also I’m not sure Villa would have been right for him then. Clearly it can’t be proven, but I bet Ollie wouldn’t be the player he is now had he joined us in 2017.
He would have been burned at the stake several times by the fans.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #972 on: March 25, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »
Nice article in the Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/25/ollie-watkins-non-league-england-weston-super-mare

'His own biggest critic': Ollie Watkins' road from non-league to England
Coaches from his days at Weston-super-Mare and Exeter recall the drive of the Aston Villa striker set for an international debut

It is a little more than six years since Ollie Watkins scored a dozen minutes into his Weston-super-Mare debut, stepping off the bench to propel the Conference South’s bottom club to a 4-3 victory over Farnborough Town before 130 spectators. On Thursday the Aston Villa striker could make his England debut in a World Cup qualifier and this time millions will be watching, none prouder than those who helped his remarkable rise from Exeter City to the Premier League, via a six-month crash course in the sixth tier.

When an 18-year-old Watkins walked through the door at Weston, the part-time club had lost eight on the bounce and were staring at relegation. He signed on loan from Exeter alongside Matt Jay, one of his closest friends, in search of experience. “They were thrown in at the deep end,” says Ryan Northmore, Watkins’ manager at Weston. “I brought Ollie on, he ended up scoring and it just gave everybody a huge lift, it brought momentum and that 40 minutes he was on the pitch was the turning point for us. We never looked back. We were cut adrift but secured our safety with plenty of games to go and it was a monumental effort from everybody. We got over that finishing line and collapsed into a heap.”

It was at Weston where Dean Smith, who signed the striker for Brentford before taking him to Villa for a club record £28m last summer, spotted Watkins. He scored 10 goals in 24 games but the loan did more than sharpen his instincts in the box. A selfless performance against Ebbsfleet, Northmore says, sticks in the memory, as does an irresistible display at Wealdstone that led to home supporters applauding Watkins off, but perhaps the biggest takeaway was the hunger it gave him.

Watkins, Northmore says, learned the value of “winning headers in your own box at a corner” and doing the unglamorous side of the game. “Academy football is very much focused on what you do with the ball, so if you’re a forward player sometimes you are just waiting at the end of a passing chain,” he says. “If that is the only way you are going to get on the ball, then you are not going to be on it very much when you’re in a team that is struggling.

“It was about saying: ‘Look, you can create goals, have a go at people and express yourself, but there are maybe five or six goals for you if you force errors from defenders, if you set traps and if you apply that pressure.’ He would take praise and criticism – he got a lot of tough love from me – but he took it really well because he recognised that it needed to happen in order to improve.”

Watkins has earned his stripes, showcasing his speed and athleticism whether as an emergency left-back, as he was on Exeter’s pre-season tour of Scotland after returning from Weston, or the talisman as Brentford chased promotion. He is one of 22 players in the 26-man England squad for the games against San Marino, Albania and Poland who have come through an English Football League club, played in the EFL or made their debut in the competition.

“Some of the qualities you see now in Ollie at Premier League level are some of the lasting images I have of him on a pitch playing for Exeter,” says Watkins’ former youth-team manager, Kevin Nicholson. “His ability to hold off opponents in one v one situations, to press defenders, he was always very hard-working, very determined. He was his own biggest critic. He would always come to you and challenge you as a coach, to continually help him to develop. He would say: ‘What can I do better in this situation?’ He would always be there after training practising, even if it was the simplest of things, sending free-kicks into an empty goal.”

Watkins was part of a talented crop of youngsters at fan-owned Exeter, including the now Swansea captain Matt Grimes, the Peterborough goalkeeper Christy Pym and Ethan Ampadu, who was in the under-14s; cutouts of all three form a mural at Exeter’s training base and last year Ben Chrisene, who made his Villa debut against Liverpool in January aged 16, became the latest prospect to be picked up from their academy.

“Ollie is a great example for young players on their development journey now,” says Nicholson. “It isn’t as straightforward as an upward curve. There isn’t one route to fulfilling your potential as a young player. It isn’t always going to be academy, all the way through from under-nines to under-18s, into under-23s and then directly into the first team.”

Watkins has done the yards to get here. “He wouldn’t get pushed off the ball at the age of 18 or 19 but needed to get kicked to get angry, to show his strength,” says Northmore, now an academy coach at Southampton. “He wasn’t one to bring it to the table first but when he got into that mood and got a little aggressive, that was when his strength really came out. I don’t feel like that needs to happen now because he imposes himself on games from the start. He doesn’t wait around. He needed someone to get him wound up a bit and then you saw his turbo kick in. And then he would take off.”

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #973 on: March 25, 2021, 09:01:43 PM »
Good luck Ollie.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #974 on: March 25, 2021, 09:05:36 PM »
Very proud of you young man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal