collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431095 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #870 on: March 06, 2021, 11:15:59 PM »
He doesn't have much luck. He hits the bar more often than me, fifteen minutes before the end of matches in the 2015/16 season. I'm hoping next season he is dead jammy. He will score 40 goals.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #871 on: March 06, 2021, 11:24:38 PM »
Really really like him, but he's not clinical enough. I think I'd have him as one of the wider forwards next season in place of Traore who is so hit and miss it's unbelievable.

I agree with that, I think it'd suit his game, and he's a much better all round player than any of our wide players with the obvious exception of Jack. I don't think playing wider would unduly hit his goal return either.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #872 on: March 07, 2021, 12:39:06 PM »
Terrific player, loads of energy and commitment. Progressing well in his first season in the top division. Think he’ll get the “20” next season with the experience gained this season

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #873 on: March 07, 2021, 12:46:55 PM »
He's hit the woodwork 7 times this season, twice in the last 2 games that could have given us 4 points. Really unlucky.

Offline nigel

« Reply #874 on: March 07, 2021, 12:55:24 PM »
Really really like him, but he's not clinical enough. I think I'd have him as one of the wider forwards next season in place of Traore who is so hit and miss it's unbelievable.

I agree with that, I think it'd suit his game, and he's a much better all round player than any of our wide players with the obvious exception of Jack. I don't think playing wider would unduly hit his goal return either.

He’s been an inch away from 7 extra goals this season.
When guys say he’s not clinical enough just add that 7 to his tally and see where he is.
I’d go with unlucky rather than not clinical enough

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #875 on: March 07, 2021, 01:03:45 PM »
He's hit the woodwork 7 times this season, twice in the last 2 games that could have given us 4 points. Really unlucky.

Is it bad luck or is it that his finishing is poor?  10 goals looks impressive and his workrate is phenomenal.   However, the number of big chances he's missed is 11.  A more clinical and ruthless striker would have put more of those chances away.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #876 on: March 07, 2021, 01:07:18 PM »

I think it would blunt his impact. Playing wide he’d be expected to track back more to protect the fullback which takes him away from where he’s best.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #877 on: March 07, 2021, 01:10:57 PM »
I thought he only really made one mistake, albeit a very big one when he passed. Other than that he got shots away, showed for the ball strongly and was a real pest to them. He'll get better and score more goals.

We should have bought/lent quality back up in the Jan window though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #878 on: March 07, 2021, 01:24:05 PM »

I think it would blunt his impact. Playing wide he’d be expected to track back more to protect the fullback which takes him away from where he’s best.

He'd be replacing Bert or Trez, who provide no support or no goal threat respectively, and so would be a huge upgrade on both.

Offline nigel

« Reply #879 on: March 07, 2021, 01:41:03 PM »
I find it unbelievable that we’re even having this debate on a lad in his first season at a new club, first season at, anywhere near, this level, who’s given the best defences a tough time, who’s scored 10 goals and hit the woodwork 7 times.
Yes, maybe he could have had one or two more, but give the lad a break, he’s done phenomenally well.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #880 on: March 07, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »
His all round game is outstanding, it's like having two players playing at the same time.

He's a total success for me, we couldn't have spent better in our position.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #881 on: March 07, 2021, 02:05:20 PM »

He'd be replacing Bert or Trez, who provide no support or no goal threat respectively, and so would be a huge upgrade on both.

Pretty harsh on Traore. He’s inconsistent but has definitely provide a goal threat this season.

I imagine the wide areas and striker would be positions we will look to strengthen in the summer, but I agree with Chris, I don’t see moving Watkins wide as the solution.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #882 on: March 07, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »
I hate it when commentators say - as did ours last night - that "he was denied by the woodwork" as if some inanimate object had somehow shifted to stop an otherwise-certain goal. Ollie's shot yesterday would have gone in if it had either been hit half a metre further out or directed slightly further to the keeper's left. It was neither, unfortunately.
He is a super player and needs a second or withdrawn striker to play alongside him. Last night I would have preferred to take off Traore and replace him with Barkley as a second striker. Louie Barry shows signs of potentially being that man next season.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:58:40 PM by Mister E »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #883 on: March 07, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »

He’s been an inch away from 7 extra goals this season.
When guys say he’s not clinical enough just add that 7 to his tally and see where he is.
I’d go with unlucky rather than not clinical enough

It's poor finishing. It's not some weird twist of fate that on another day would somehow have gone in.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #884 on: March 07, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »
Not a chance in hell Ollie will be moved out wide.
Overall an excellent first season in the premier league
He is our modern day Dwight Yorke and will continue to improve

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal