collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 456680 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #660 on: December 27, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
Matter of time before he's called up to England and I say that when he's having bad luck in front of goal. He has a lot of competition which will likely delay him but his work-rate, closing down and starting the press means he's first line of the defence. Smith said it right when he said there's no striker better when you find yourselves down to 10 men. The work rate we have in our side, led by Watkins, Grealish and McGinn is exceptional and makes it feel like we start every game with extra players than the opposition.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #661 on: December 27, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
He worked so hard that second half and it was a crying shame he didn’t score

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #662 on: December 27, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »
I feel like Watkins might be the best all rounder we've had since Yorke up front, in terms of all his attributes. There's not a lot he can't do. He doesn't look big but he's good with his back to goal, he works the channels well, he's quick, decent in the air, a good one touch passer, intelligent player. He scores goals (no seriously, he does). We've had some good CF's, but generally not as much of a team player as Ollie. Likewise, his role model being Henry looks clear in the fact he can bring others into play so well and make goals as well as score them. If he stays here 5 years he'll be comfortably over 50 goals for us and probably a hatful of assists on top.

Benteke in 12/13 was imo the best individual striker season we've had at top level since the 90s. People think now all Benteke did was stand in 6 yard box and head in crosses but he was huge with our counter attack with his hold out play and drifting out wide and pulling defenders out of position. Remember the Man. United goal when Weimann scored and he made a complete mug out of Smalling who was a good defender at the time.

Considering how much stronger we now are across the pitch compared to those dark times we're going to have an incredible season if Ollie can score 15 + goals considering what else he contributes to our play.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #663 on: December 27, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
Benteke was magnificent at his best. It’s easy to forget how good he was watching what has become of him. I love Ollie for many reasons, but he’s still got a ways yo go to become what Benteke was for us. I’ll say to everyone just watch the sheer variety of goals he scored. He could literally do it all.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #664 on: December 27, 2020, 08:40:53 PM »
Benteke was magnificent at his best. It’s easy to forget how good he was watching what has become of him. I love Ollie for many reasons, but he’s still got a ways yo go to become what Benteke was for us. I’ll say to everyone just watch the sheer variety of goals he scored. He could literally do it all.

It wasn't just his goals, remember the back-heel for Weiman's goal at Anfield? At his best, he was absolutely brilliant for us.

Ollie has been brilliant so far, but he's not even had half a season yet.  If he carries on like this then he'll be right up there.  The thing I like about him is that he still looks like scoring, even if he's missing chances.  There are strikers who go through a dry spell and become anonymous - he could literally have had a hat-trick yesterday, and also got three assists.  If this is him in a dry-spell, the rest of the league better watch out when he hits a purple patch...

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #665 on: December 27, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »
I think Ollie works harder for the team . I always felt benteke was keeping something back

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #666 on: December 27, 2020, 08:54:56 PM »
Let's not re-write history. For three seasons Benteke was up there with the best we've ever had.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #667 on: December 27, 2020, 08:58:58 PM »
Let's not re-write history. For three seasons Benteke was up there with the best we've ever had.

Yep unplayable at times

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #668 on: December 27, 2020, 10:30:32 PM »
Ollie's showing fantastic promise but it's early days.

Like others have said, Benteke was one of the best players we've ever had in claret & blue at his peak. He could do everything and anything.

Going to Liverpool ruined his career.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #669 on: December 28, 2020, 09:24:43 AM »
9 shots against Palace, the most by a Villa striker in one game since JPA had 11 back in, well ages ago.

He's not blazing them over, getting scared or lacking confidence, which is great. It will happen soon. Next two games please Ollie.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #670 on: December 28, 2020, 09:48:01 AM »
The fact that most of us still have a respect for Benteke, despite the shadow of a player he has become since joining 'The Mighty Reds YNWA', shows just how good he was with us. Ollie is going to overshadow him though by the end of his career with us and Engerland

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #671 on: December 28, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »
Was phenomenal against Palace, he was so integral and the fact we scored 3, his personal tally was almost immaterial. A really likeable guy as well. My only question would be should he have had ten minutes off towards the end. We've got no real striker as backup and he's run a lot of miles with games coming thick and fast.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #672 on: December 28, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »
That's a fair point about resting him. Playing with 10 men for 50 minutes 48 hours before a game against Chelsea is going to take it's toll.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #673 on: December 28, 2020, 11:33:20 AM »
I wonder what our team running stats were against Palace compared to the average second half.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #674 on: December 28, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »
I also wonder how we will keep it up as the season goes along. The work rate, the pressing, from the whole team, is phenomenal to watch. But Deano also seems not to want to fix what ain’t broken by using subs, and the lack of squad rotation  so far - surely must take it’s toll at some point?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal