collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 456001 times)

Offline danno

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »
Can we all just disagree without becoming Julian Clary in a tizzy?

I can't remember who it was Clampy was having handbags with last year but it was as boring to read as anything I've ever posted. And I am one dull bstrd.

Online FatSam

« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2020, 12:36:26 PM »
I'm pleased with this signing, but Brentford certainly know how to do business - Watkins has just paid for two sides of their new ground!

I can remember him being touted as a hot prospect when he was with Exeter, so in future it would be good to be in a position (i.e. more established in the EPL) to pick-up similar players one step earlier and take the risk on their potential being fulfilled.

Anyway, score 15 goals this season and he will have justified the fee straight away. Welcome Ollie, and good luck!

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
I can remember him being touted as a hot prospect when he was with Exeter, so in future it would be good to be in a position (i.e. more established in the EPL) to pick-up similar players one step earlier and take the risk on their potential being fulfilled.

Yes, it would be good to be in a position where we could hoover up some of the best young players and send them out on loan straight away for first team experience.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2020, 12:45:53 PM »
In fact, you really shouldn't be buying one without the other and I fully expect us to bring in a couple before the end of the window."
If we sign older players it will be because they have an attitude that we want our young players to learn from, Heaton is a great example.
That's exactly the point I'm making.  In pretty much every end-of-season review I read over the summer, as well as on here, our lack of experience was mentioned as a reason we struggled.  All I'm saying is that I wouldn't want us to make the same mistake this year. 

Very different circumstances though. Last year the squad had about 100 premier league appearances between them other than Heaton. One season on and there's a much better understanding of the demands of the league within the squad. I don't have a problem with us signing a more experienced player or 2 but fitting in with the squad and adding to the team spirit we have is far more important.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2020, 12:49:27 PM »

Yes, it would be good to be in a position where we could hoover up some of the best young players and send them out on loan straight away for first team experience.

I think the signings of Chrisene and Barry indicate that's the sort of plan we're heading for... though I think doing a bit of development in house first to get them understanding the style of the club is a good idea...

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2020, 12:49:40 PM »
Welcome Ollie, excited to see what you can do, so please don't be rubbish.

Online Villafirst

« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
Welcome Ollie!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2020, 12:53:56 PM »

I think the signings of Chrisene and Barry indicate that's the sort of plan we're heading for... though I think doing a bit of development in house first to get them understanding the style of the club is a good idea...

I suspect 12-18months with the academy/U23s and then we'll make a decision on whether to blood them with us or send them out for 6-12months.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »
A classic H&V welcome to new signings : "Please don't be shit." But please don't be average either. Be good. Be cool.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2020, 01:04:07 PM »
Jut once can we have a signing come in and hit the ground running?  No moaning, no saying that he needs a full pre-season and 6 months to bed in, just some decent performances and a goal or two would be lovely.  Cheers in advance Ollie!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2020, 01:06:23 PM »
When was the last time we had an Oliver in the team?

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2020, 01:08:08 PM »

So when Chrisene sells for £100M we can retire his shirt.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »
Welcome Olllie, I have a feeling you're going to be a star for us!

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
Do we know how much Exeter City gets from this deal? I would hope it's a fair chunk of money.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »
Best of british luck ollie. In 5 years time may we find you with 100+ goals, sleeping in a pile of 50 pound notes  and with a ridiculous WAG in tow, rather than in the priory between dogging adventures and fights with weathergirls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal