collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:35:25 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 11:35:16 AM]

NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 11:33:19 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 11:33:03 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:50:46 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 463784 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2020, 10:57:10 PM »
I’ve never understood why us fans talk about the money aspect like
It’s our money - it isn’t - it’s the clubs whether it’s revenue based or owners holdings.

If he does the job I couldn’t careless how much he costs.

Agreed. This is an excellent signing in my book, not sure why we insist on qualifying that with 'yeah, but we paid too much'.

Because we ther we like it or not we live in an era of FFP so it has an impact on the budget for future signings.

Yes, but it's someone else's job to worry about that. I didn't fall in love with football dreaming that one day I could balance the clubs wages to income ratio.

I just want to see centre forwards battering in goals.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2020, 10:58:55 PM »
It’s our money - it isn’t - it’s the clubs whether it’s revenue based or owners holdings.

Agreed. This is an excellent signing in my book, not sure why we insist on qualifying that with 'yeah, but we paid too much'.

Because we ther we like it or not we live in an era of FFP so it has an impact on the budget for future signings.

None of us know the extent to which this fee impacts on our budget for future signings.

Those in charge of signings have made this decision and I think it looks decent value. If you disagree, that's perfectly fine, you may well turn out to be right. But we aren't just going to be able to sign every player we might want for the fees we want.

Ultimately, I think we needed this signing, and clearly we wanted Watkins. I'd rather we sign the players we really want, even if it means paying slightly over the odds, than settle.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2020, 11:04:19 PM »
I suppose it puts those penny pinching claims to bed.

I still think there’s enough to get in a winger and hopefully a midfielder too. And if we get Martinez that will be the thick end of £100m net spend. I would like a fast left back too and sell off Taylor.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2020, 11:22:05 PM »

Vast majority of our signings have been overpriced in last 10 years, probably even stretching back to MON years although that was more insane wages for 3m signings like Habib Beye.

It can impact on club long term and set us back seasons with FFP, we still can't get rid of Scott Hogan after all and McCormack drained wages off us for the full 4 years.

I don't think Watkins will be like either of those two thankfully. However if his goal output massively reduces at premier league level then we won't have too many clubs queueing up to pay 20m for him.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »
It's a perfectly valid opinion, which as it goes seems be shared by quite a few.  It's not as if we got utterly bummed but Brentford got a good deal out of us.  There's not much wrong with pointing that out is there?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2020, 11:27:04 PM »

because we're 2 years on from having to sell the addons from transfers to pay the electric bill. Kinda makes finances feel important.

That said I'm more bothered by the wage bill than the transfer fees, that's why I'd rather spend a decent wedge on younger players than give a final big contract to older ones. Wages are far more of a money pit than transfer fees.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2020, 11:27:49 PM »
It's a perfectly valid opinion, which as it goes seems be shared by quite a few.  It's not as if we got utterly bummed but Brentford got a good deal out of us.  There's not much wrong with pointing that out is there?

Indeed not, they really have got good money from us for what is essentially a gamble. But hopefully it'll prove a gamble that makes it look a good deal all round in the end.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2020, 11:30:13 PM »

Well put it this way we've paid nearly 50m for Matty Cash and Ollie. Have they got the quality to push us up from 17th to 12th or even 10th? We'll soon see but players costing that much need to have potential to be top half players for us not just move us up a place.

Saw a few saying he'd be good for us if we get relegated, surely got to get past that mentality for new signings, I could fully understand that last summer but we need to kick on now towards mid table with what we're spending and signing.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 11:32:16 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2020, 11:33:54 PM »

And not giving a shit about the finances nearly bankrupt the club. Get serious - this is a business, not a hobby

Offline Rory

« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2020, 11:41:53 PM »
Have we overpaid, and if so, by how much?

We need new options in attack, I'm fairly confident the club didn't say "hey, what do you want for Watkins? £20m? Okay, we'll offer £28m".

If he's a player we want, that was valued at that by Brentford, and we decided he was worth it, then so be it. I don't think Jack is worth £80m but we're all happy enough if that means Man Utd fuck off and Jack is in our starting XI come the first game of the season.

Not dismissing anybody else's opinion, but I think this is a good signing.

Offline Rory

« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2020, 11:43:28 PM »

And not giving a shit about the finances nearly bankrupt the club. Get serious - this is a business, not a hobby

That must be why you're paid so much to monitor our transfer activity then.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2020, 11:47:21 PM »
Irrespective of how FFP may be relaxed for a while now due to worldly issues, we are still not accountants.

Even what we think is “value for money “ we will ultimately never know the true cost of a player or what income we have to cover that .

Let’s relax knowing our owners are minted, not Lerner minted , but actually minted.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2020, 11:49:09 PM »
I thik the video linked earlier is very misleading. It shows him scoring a lot of 'fox in the box' style goals, and that will be welcome, but if you look at how he was playing before last season where he was a winger more often you get a much better understanding of his overall game:

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2020, 11:52:34 PM »

Absolutely it’s a business, so at the top table let’s pay over the odds if needs be as if that player keeps us up / gets us a place higher in the PL it pays for itself and then some.

Relax.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2020, 11:57:18 PM »
Watkins is both footed and comfortable shooting and scoring either and his head.
Plays all across the front 3 so great option. Hope he's used as striker but is flexibility allows him to play as wing forward too and has attacking creativity
Deano knows him well and only improve him
Lovely acquisition with best years ahead of him.

I'm pleased he's coming in and I hope can be a great attacking asset.
15+ goals this season please!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal