collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431085 times)

Offline RichardBatchelor

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1440 on: October 26, 2021, 07:01:40 PM »
Think both he and Ings can play together. Need to go to 4-3-3 and coach Watkins to play in a similar way to how Henry did and how Salah does now. Mobile using his speed and movement to utilise the width of the pitch and not just be a central target. Ings can be the central figure but Watkins and either Bailey or Traore can be the other two attackers.

That would be great!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1441 on: October 26, 2021, 11:53:50 PM »
Think both he and Ings can play together. Need to go to 4-3-3 and coach Watkins to play in a similar way to how Henry did and how Salah does now. Mobile using his speed and movement to utilise the width of the pitch and not just be a central target. Ings can be the central figure but Watkins and either Bailey or Traore can be the other two attackers.

Salah and Mane are excellent as wide forwards but it's easy to miss how important Firmino is as well. I think bailey and watkins as wide-ish forwards could work well but I can't decide if Ings can do the "9 and a half" role between them.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1442 on: October 27, 2021, 04:20:54 PM »

Watkins has been absolutely brilliant for us since joining, and to fuck him off now just so Ings can play is to me, borderline criminal

Watkins plays best in the middle, as a loan striker with wide men either side who can drift in when he pulls wide etc

This has been PROVEN to work already, and i'm a big believer in the 'if it's not broken don't try and fix it' school of thought.

I see absolutely no reason why this 4-3-3 shouldn't still be our number one formation option.

For me, you play Bailey on the left, Watkins in the middle and try Buendia in his preferred position on the right side.

Simple as that.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1443 on: October 27, 2021, 04:43:14 PM »

Watkins has been absolutely brilliant for us since joining, and to fuck him off now just so Ings can play is to me, borderline criminal

Watkins plays best in the middle, as a loan striker with wide men either side who can drift in when he pulls wide etc

This has been PROVEN to work already, and i'm a big believer in the 'if it's not broken don't try and fix it' school of thought.

I see absolutely no reason why this 4-3-3 shouldn't still be our number one formation option.

For me, you play Bailey on the left, Watkins in the middle and try Buendia in his preferred position on the right side.

Simple as that.

Radical!

But I like it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1444 on: October 27, 2021, 04:52:43 PM »
I like Watkins, but if you are only playing one up front there's an argument that he deserves to be dropped more than Ings on the basis that neither is playing brilliantly but Ings is, at least, scoring.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1445 on: October 27, 2021, 05:24:51 PM »
Watkins for me, though I can see the argument for him and Bailey doing the Salah/Mane role to Ings as Firmino.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1446 on: October 27, 2021, 05:49:36 PM »
My choice is Watkins and Bailey wide, Buendia in behind Ings.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1447 on: October 27, 2021, 05:54:07 PM »

Still think this leaves us light in midfield as it means sacrificing the Ramsey/Sanson position to another forward and means McGinn has to stifle his attacking intent. Anyway let see how Smith decides to solve the conundrum on Sunday.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1448 on: October 27, 2021, 05:58:58 PM »

Yeah like the look of that

Offline Risso

« Reply #1449 on: October 27, 2021, 06:02:22 PM »
I think Buendia played anywhere centrally is going to be a huge disappointment.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1450 on: October 27, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »

Simple as that.

I agree.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1451 on: October 27, 2021, 06:10:35 PM »
I think Buendia played anywhere centrally is going to be a huge disappointment.
Yes needs to be deployed right wing position in a 4-2-3-1
As the legend goes
'During December 2019, Buendía created 29 chances for his teammates. This is the most chances created by a player in a single month in the Premier League since the stat began to be recorded in 2003–04'

Offline Risso

« Reply #1452 on: October 27, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »
I like Watkins, but if you are only playing one up front there's an argument that he deserves to be dropped more than Ings on the basis that neither is playing brilliantly but Ings is, at least, scoring.

They've both got 1 goal in the last 7 games, so not really much to choose form wise.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1453 on: October 27, 2021, 07:33:11 PM »
Stop disproving my theories using facts please. 😡

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #1454 on: October 27, 2021, 07:48:31 PM »

Simple as that.

Totally agree and while I think Ings is good player it has really messed up our formation in trying to fit him in.

Ings on the Bench and just rotate them accordingly. Buendia as you say in his preferred possession and Tuenazebe no where near the first team just for the moment.

Its not guaranteed changing the formation will get us any points on Sunday but it will give us a chance.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal