collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: North Stand Demolition  (Read 23149 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: North Stand Demolition
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2020, 08:33:42 PM »
Had a season ticket in the North Stand Upper for about 8 seasons, and it's still usually where I sit now I'm reduced to occasionally visits. The proximity to Wotton railway station is a factor, but I find out the best value seat in the house - great view and usually only a few quid more than the cheapest seats. Also think, whilst it's pig ugly, it has a certain uniqueness to it that I quite like.

I slightly fall on the side of keeping it right now, but when it is replaced it needs to be with a brick-clad giant appropriate for "the stately home of football". No problem at all giving away fans a good view, they pays their money line the rest of us. We need to show them how poxy & smalltime their own grounds are.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2020, 08:36:54 PM »
I'll miss it when/if it goes, but it is shit. And also groundbreaking at the time it was built, but the outside looks like it belongs in 1976 Gdansk and the inside is only any good if you're as tall as Mazrim.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
It's an eyesore. I know we did the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig with the cladding last summer, but it still needs levelling. The facilities in the stand are akin to being in Lilliput, and let’s remember that it is the first impression of Villa Park for a great many people visiting for the first time, and it’s not a great one.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »
I would hope that any plan to demolish the North Stand would include rebuilding Witton Lane as well. At least we can say the North was state of the art when it was built - the Witton was done on the cheap and it has always shown. The concourses are cramped and it disrupts sight lines from parts of the lower Holte, despite the fact that there is a tonne of unused space at the front of the stand.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2020, 12:50:36 AM »
Concourse in Upper North is a complete nightmare when it's a sell out which has been usual in last 18 months.

No idea how it's going to work when fans are allowed back in grounds again.

Offline ez

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2020, 10:45:08 PM »
Concourse in Upper North is a complete nightmare when it's a sell out which has been usual in last 18 months.

No idea how it's going to work when fans are allowed back in grounds again.
The lower north isn't good either. The view is awful. It's a terrace with seats on it. The slope of it was never improved. It's understandable that so many stand up in there.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2020, 02:36:03 AM »
Timing- wise it makes sense to do it now, but I think the risk of building a new stand when there’s no visibility of when football is coming back and what form it will Take, is probably too high. You could end up with socially distanced impacted crowds like 2 empty seats either side of a supporter, which is essentially 20% or less of capacity. Why would you re-develop a stand now without knowing if something like that is going to happen?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:46:10 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2020, 08:20:01 AM »
Why spend a penny  on a new stand that you may never have full capacity of again - no vaccine no full stadiums.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2020, 08:34:59 AM »
To create work?

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »
Same principal applies though- Villa aren’t a job centre - if there’s no vaccine there will never be more than half full stadiums so clubs won’t spend a penny on any part of increasing capacity, ever.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »
I did not suggest Villa should pay.  When I was still teaching architecture I used the buildings produced in Fascist Europe of the 1930s funded publicly to create work as excellent architecture created for the right reasons by the wrong people.  Not that I suggest Aston Villa are the wrong people to be subsidized by taxpayers' money.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2020, 03:03:47 PM »
Same principal applies though- Villa aren’t a job centre - if there’s no vaccine there will never be more than half full stadiums so clubs won’t spend a penny on any part of increasing capacity, ever.
If there's no vaccine, we'll end up with herd immunity - until the next killer-virus - and so we will see the return of full stadia at some point in the next 12-15 months (bout as a long as it'll take to design and build a new stand, in fact). My guess is that when grounds are open for business, there will be a big uplift in people wanting to go to real football matches after the sterility of the screened version.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »
Be it for safe physical use two seasons or ten seasons from now, the North Stand needs demolished and rebuilt. Has done for years and years. Putting it off any further is foolish - as others have said, there'll never be a better opportunity to get the work started safely and without any (additional) loss in attendance revenue that we're not already incurring.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2020, 03:10:50 PM »
I honestly wouldn't bank on it.

Even those will want to go will have second thoughts if they have elderly/vulnerable relatives or work in the public sector etc.

And there will be plenty who have got into a nice routine of watching it at home/ in the boozer for a fraction of the cost. Or they've have found alternative hobbies for Sat/ Sun that don't include Villa booting them in the nuts continuously.  Garden centres with the misses, and the like. Takes allsorts.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:16:13 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »
I think the opposite. Given half a chance, there would he 42,000 on the gate for a game this weekend.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal