collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: North Stand Demolition  (Read 23167 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: North Stand Demolition
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 05:25:40 PM »
It makes sense timing wise regarding crowds, but surely not re FFP?  Right now our number one priority has to be consolidating our place in the PL and I would think we need to use every bit of cash FFP allows to do that over the next few years? 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »
I don't think Capital spend would fall within the FFP remit, which is more Profit & Loss oriented as far as I'm aware.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 05:38:36 PM »
I don't think Capital spend would fall within the FFP remit, which is more Profit & Loss oriented as far as I'm aware.
In that case if the plans are ready to go then it would make a lot of sense to do it now.  I suspect the designs aren't yet sorted and would also guess they want to be sure we're well and truly consolidated in the PL before spending the money.  Shame, agree it's an opportune time.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2020, 05:42:31 PM »
I've been a season ticket holder in the NS upper since O'Neils 1st season and it's a fantastic view but since my daughter become a ST holder I've realised  the lack of toilet facilities for women is atrocious and is not for for purpose anymore unfortunately.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 06:22:28 PM »
I would do anything for a pair of silk stockings and a toothbrush.
Anything?

He'll do most things for a lot less.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »

Yep, infrastructure expenditure is excluded from the calculation.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2020, 06:28:51 PM »
Absolutely maidstone.  Great to find a kindred architectural spirit on here.  I was one of the first 100 to sign the petition to demolish St Pancras station.  What the North Stand has going for it is the plausible myth perpetuated by HDE that the structure was deliberately bulked up to take a future hotel.  Buildings these days can be regarded as having historic significance for non architectural reasons, WW2 prefabs beimg a typical example.  Cardington airship hangar being another.

Count me in with the brutalist love in. Plus, I love my seat in the North Stand, so the opening post can, with the greatest of respect, piss off.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 06:31:31 PM »
I'm sick of looking at the thing. Knock it down!

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 07:17:27 PM »
While I agree the sooner its gone the better, and that it would make sense to invest in the area in a likely downturn, I dont believe its clear what should be in its place. To me the problematic stand is the Witton Lane which is too narrow. Without knowing what can be built there I dont think you can work out how the North Stand can be designed. Im not advocating filling in the corners, bar perhaps 10-15 rows near the pitch, but you cant decide how wide to make the North Stand without knowing what the plan for Witton Lane will be.

Personally I would go for another double decker like the Holte, downstairs for cheap seats with a heavy discount for actual local residents within 2 miles of the ground, it would open the door to the local area and community who I believe havent been invited into the club which bears their name , and lets face it, delivers a significant amount of disruption to their lives. Mirror the Holte as theres space out back and build shops into the back of the stand. Then replace the Witton Lane with another double decker built over the road with the same roofline as the Trinity. Aim for 56,000 capacity which would put us back in the 5 largest grounds in England, which lets be honest is where we all know we belong.

When you read the comments by away fans, the most recurring one is "Proper FOOTBALL GROUND". Not stadium. 4 seperate stands - ok - maybe some screens and boxes in the corners, but 4 massive stands NOT AN IDENTIKIT BOWL.  It would be appropriate for Aston Villa to establish the Football League Museum as face it , we invented it, not that aberation in Manchester. That could be housed in the Witton Lane or a seperate building within the grounds, perhaps behind the Holte.

In terms of the finish the whole lot, including the Trinity, should be faced with Brick. A great eff off Brick fortress covered in Mosaics the like of which Gaudi would use. The pundshop cladding on the Trinity can do one.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 07:40:53 PM »
If you want to keep the local community onside, you're not going to do it by plunging many of them into perpetual twilight by making the Witton Lane roof higher than it is now.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 07:50:44 PM »
Went past Charlton's ground over the weekend and it reminded me again of the benefits of building below ground level.

I'd sooner do that to add on an extra 10,000 or so capacity than alter the look of the four main stands.  Well OK, was never a big fan of the Doug Ellis, so they can bulldoze that and reattempt a more contemporary effort.

The North needs gutting in the concourses and at the rear, but pitchside, it has been the one constant from the successful late 70s, 80s and 90s teams until now. Keep it, but sort it out.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 08:13:21 PM »
Went past Charlton's ground over the weekend and it reminded me again of the benefits of building below ground level.

I'd sooner do that to add on an extra 10,000 or so capacity than alter the look of the four main stands.  Well OK, was never a big fan of the Doug Ellis, so they can bulldoze that and reattempt a more contemporary effort.

The North needs gutting in the concourses and at the rear, but pitchside, it has been the one constant from the successful late 70s, 80s and 90s teams until now. Keep it, but sort it out.
Spending millions on fixing up the North stand would be a really bad move in my view. The North stand is marmite amongst Villa fans but I'd guess that the split is 75/25 against keeping it. It's time to build a state of the art stand befitting our heritage. What you're suggesting sounds so Doug Ellis.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:04:56 PM by The Edge »

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2020, 08:56:19 PM »
It makes sense timing wise regarding crowds, but surely not re FFP?  Right now our number one priority has to be consolidating our place in the PL and I would think we need to use every bit of cash FFP allows to do that over the next few years? 

FFP wouldn't come into it. Villa Park is owned by a different Company.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 09:11:55 PM »
I don't think you need to worry about the Witton. Keep four individual stands and fill the corners with exec boxes and the like just the way they currently are.

A massive single tier monster would get my vote - we've got loads of space behind it so let's be ambitious.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2020, 10:09:24 PM »
I like the idea of one big single tier stand too - accommodating executive boxes in each corner would possibly enable this to happen. Build the claret wall!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal