collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: North Stand Demolition  (Read 23171 times)

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
Re: North Stand Demolition
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »
Absolutely maidstone.  Great to find a kindred architectural spirit on here.  I was one of the first 100 to sign the petition to demolish St Pancras station.  What the North Stand has going for it is the plausible myth perpetuated by HDE that the structure was deliberately bulked up to take a future hotel.  Buildings these days can be regarded as having historic significance for non architectural reasons, WW2 prefabs beimg a typical example.  Cardington airship hangar being another.

The Cardington Airships Hangars (there are two) are about three miles from where I live Brian and they are even more impressive now that they have been painted and repaired. As you know they dominate the local skyline and ‘The Sheds’ are an important piece of local history. A little known fact is that the former nearby RAF base at Cardington was the departure point for band leader Glenn Miller, who was never to be seen again.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
I don't think it's the worst idea tbh.

Really can't see crowds of any sort being allowed in October given the decisions made in last few days and then we're into winter.

In any case 33% of VP capacity is 14k. Can't remember exactly how much the North stand holds but would guess the lower is 2k and upper is about 3.5k so no North stand and third allowed in would be 12k so minimal difference especially if away fans aren't allowed either.

In the very unlikely event we bulldozed the North stand tomorrow you could probably have a decent chunk of the bottom tier open by November/December and get 2k seats that way, we did it with the Trinity all those years ago.

Dosen't seem a high priority for owners but we were getting the crowds in last 18 months and would be frustrating if we got really good again and then decided to do the revamp and lose 5-6k seats.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 10:15:16 PM »
Absolutely maidstone.  Great to find a kindred architectural spirit on here.  I was one of the first 100 to sign the petition to demolish St Pancras station.  What the North Stand has going for it is the plausible myth perpetuated by HDE that the structure was deliberately bulked up to take a future hotel.  Buildings these days can be regarded as having historic significance for non architectural reasons, WW2 prefabs beimg a typical example.  Cardington airship hangar being another.

The Cardington Airships Hangars (there are two) are about three miles from where I live Brian and they are even more impressive now that they have been painted and repaired. As you know they dominate the local skyline and ‘The Sheds’ are an important piece of local history. A little known fact is that the former nearby RAF base at Cardington was the departure point for band leader Glenn Miller, who was never to be seen again.

My aunt and her WAAF colleague waved him and his band off.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 10:52:09 PM »
One of our neighbours at Southwold a very ancient titled lady claimed to have waved off as a WAAF Joe Kennedy Jnr.  That hankie waving didn't bring them much luck did it.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 11:38:33 PM »
One of our neighbours at Southwold a very ancient titled lady claimed to have waved off as a WAAF Joe Kennedy Jnr.  That hankie waving didn't bring them much luck did it.

Could she, at a moment's notice and without drawing breath, give a five-minute vitriol-laden rant about the qualities or otherwise of the USAF in battle conditions? If she could, she would have had something else in common with my aunt.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 12:42:40 AM »
I would do anything for a pair of silk stockings and a toothbrush.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 08:12:48 AM »
I would do anything for a pair of silk stockings and a toothbrush.
Anything?

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 08:44:46 AM »

Haven’t been past Cardington in a while now, good to hear they’ve repaired them both now, having one all shiny and the other falling to bits was a bit odd to say the least. Is the building research facility still in one of them?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 09:55:13 AM »
The upper North Stand provides a good view but has always been the least loved part of Villa Park for many of us.

Brutalist architecture, the upper parts of the rear look like they have come from some neglected council high rise.

Disliked from day one and tarnished by serious financial scandal when constructed.

Apart from the upper tier view the only other good thing is the toilets on the outside corner adjacent to the Trinity if you driving through nearby and need the bog.

Wouldn't be missed.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 10:36:28 AM »

Haven’t been past Cardington in a while now, good to hear they’ve repaired them both now, having one all shiny and the other falling to bits was a bit odd to say the least. Is the building research facility still in one of them?

I think so JC but I’ll check as I know one of the hangars is used to create film sets For Warner Bros.as well as being a rehearsal site for bands doing large venue concerts. Certainly some of the nearby land has been used to build extra houses at Shortstown, so many in fact that the area should be renamed Sprawltown.

Apologies for hijacking the topic heading so to get back on track my vote would be to at least re-shape the North Stand.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »
The upper North Stand provides a good view but has always been the least loved part of Villa Park for many of us.

Brutalist architecture, the upper parts of the rear look like they have come from some neglected council high rise.

Disliked from day one and tarnished by serious financial scandal when constructed.

Apart from the upper tier view the only other good thing is the toilets on the outside corner adjacent to the Trinity if you driving through nearby and need the bog.

Wouldn't be missed.

Agree with all of that to which I'll add that on the the couple of occasions I've been in the Upper North I've found the legroom to be extremely tight. Admittedly I'm taller than average but seemed worse than the other stands.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
I generally sit in the Holte End. One thing I did like about the North Stand, was if you get to the hane early and have a pint, there is an area where you can stand away from people and drink, which you don't have in the Holte End.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
On the face of it this is a really good idea. Would they even need permission to demolish it? The way things are going with a second spike in Covid19 I don't see any chance of crowds returning in 2020. There was talk of building a hotel on the land behind it so why not get on with it while we can? We have owners with serious cash and when you look at what they've done around the Etihad it shows the world that they mean business. It would send out the message that we are serious contenders. It's a yes from me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:29:07 PM by The Edge »

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »
The North Stand is what it is. When it was built it was as ground-breaking and architecturally typical of its era as the Trinity Road was in the twenties. And like the Trinity when it was demolished, it's now outdated. Unlike the Trinity, the views from upstairs are still good.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
I also agree. If restrictions were lifted I’m sure we could get a couple of thousand lower tier seats in place. I wonder if this is something the club have actually considered? As The Edge just said, it would send a message out that we mean business.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal