collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: North Stand Demolition  (Read 23507 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

North Stand Demolition
« on: August 01, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »

With the chances of stadium crowds, even smaller/limited numbers being allowed back into Villa Park this year being very unlikely. Wouldn't now be the ideal, and obvious time to knock the old girl down and build the new one?

Why wait until we can have crowds in again, and then have all that hassle of having to limit crowds due to being a stand light, and moving season ticket holders etc by using this unexpected down time to get it done now?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: North Stand Demolition
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:39 PM »

With the chances of stadium crowds, even smaller/limited numbers being allowed back into Villa Park this year being very unlikely. Wouldn't now be the ideal, and obvious time to knock the old girl down and build the new one?

Why wait until we can have crowds in again, and then have all that hassle of having to limit crowds due to being a stand light, and moving season ticket holders etc by using this unexpected down time to get it done now?

If we demolish it now,the numbers allowed in the ground would be even less.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
With the architectural profession's current love in with Brutalism if we don't knock it down soon it will get Listed Building status.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 01:58:23 PM »
I think 'North Stand Demolition' is a good name for a band.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 02:02:15 PM »
With the architectural profession's current love in with Brutalism if we don't knock it down soon it will get Listed Building status.

I'm a great fan of brutalism. Demolishing the library was criminal. But I think the North Stand is way off any possible listing.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 02:05:38 PM »
Knock it down.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 02:16:06 PM »
Absolutely maidstone.  Great to find a kindred architectural spirit on here.  I was one of the first 100 to sign the petition to demolish St Pancras station.  What the North Stand has going for it is the plausible myth perpetuated by HDE that the structure was deliberately bulked up to take a future hotel.  Buildings these days can be regarded as having historic significance for non architectural reasons, WW2 prefabs beimg a typical example.  Cardington airship hangar being another.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 04:26:10 PM »
The way things are going, it's quite possible we could be playing the whole of next season with no spectators, so it's a yes from me.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 04:47:49 PM »
I think 'North Stand Demolition' is a good name for a band.

African Car Reverser's difficult second album.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 04:50:21 PM »
I think it’s a really good point. Without sounding like the harbinger of doom, I have a feeling we won’t be going back next season at all.

It would be ready for the 2021/22 season.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:41:51 PM by CT »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »

Astonishingly good idea; well done, Sir!

Offline FatSam

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
This isn’t going to happen any time soon. The timescales for supporters returning to grounds, and redeveloping this end of the ground don’t align in any way. Real Madrid we’re working on the Bernabéu anyway, so took the opportunity to host their behind closed doors games at their training facility. We would have had to have clear plans in place already in order to exploit the current situation.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 06:49:48 PM »

But if we're assuming allowed crowds will be based on a percentage capacity basis, the impact of knocking the North down this season will be much less than if we were allowed to sell every seat.

I think it's the perfect opportunity to do it now we've confirmed our survival and should be kicking on from here so we're nowhere near the bottom next season.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 06:55:08 PM »

But if we're assuming allowed crowds will be based on a percentage capacity basis, the impact of knocking the North down this season will be much less than if we were allowed to sell every seat.

I think it's the perfect opportunity to do it now we've confirmed our survival and should be kicking on from here so we're nowhere near the bottom next season.

No-one knows what attendances will be like even when full capacity is possible.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 10:00:52 PM »
Any idea what the stage the design is at and status of any planning permission?

You’re looking at 3-month planning, probably six months to design it and maybe three months to tender and procure it.  Some of these tasks - and demolition- could overlap but I reckon you’re looking at six months minimum before any work could start, assuming a standing start.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal