collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Arsenal Post Match Thread  (Read 20946 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal Post Match Thread
« Reply #285 on: July 23, 2020, 11:20:20 AM »
People who only show up to say "I told you so" after a poor result and then disappear when times are good get absolute pelters on here.

But when the tables are turned and it's Smith supporters coming out of the woodwork to shame those who have doubted him or criticised the team, the halos shine bright; they are the true fans.

Hmmmm.

Any chance that you might give your perpetual victimhood a rest?

I'm not a victim of anything, I've been here through the bad times and the good over the last several seasons, I've been wrong on some things and I've been right on other things, it's not about me.

One of your fellow staffers made a comment on another thread not too long ago lambasting the erstwhile 'supporters' who dared have a pop at our manager and/or players before certain games and then disappear into the ether when those fixtures turned into victory. When I asked who they were referring to they said they wouldn't name names but referred to the threads and said it was easy to figure out, so I'm doing the same here in reverse to point out the hypocrisy now that the tables have turned.

Somebody has to, since you and some of the other mods are busy applauding those who are now coming on here and giving it large after an unlikely victory. It's fantastic that we beat Arsenal and have a fighting chance of survival; it's totally ridiculous to use a win as a stick to beat other supporters with.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we all bleed claret and blue here, we all want the club to stay up and do well. Nobody wants the club relegated. I don't understand why you insist on policing other posters' level of confidence in a given regime, or their optimism around future results. It's redundant.
This post is redundant. We had our little spats on here prior to the Arsenal game and I think that's mainly down to us all feeling the pressure of our predicament. It's done now because we beat them. Now we have one final push to secure our unlikely place in the Premier league next season. Can we not just pull together for Sunday? I'm a great believer in the power of positive thinking. UTV.

Yes I completely agree with your sentiment and we do all need to pull together for the final game. Others however are demanding 'apologies' (jaysis) from those who accused the team of not having any bollocks or anyone who called Smith or the players cowardly. Personally I have never levelled that charge at Smith's door; but I do think he's a bit useless sometimes and I stand by my opinion that he's not the right man for us going forward. Others apparently did say that, I'm not sure who, and I don't really care. We showed a lot of heart at Arsenal and I can only hope we do the same against West Ham. But I'm over the hypocrisy of the 'he said/she said' nonsense on here, it's all posturing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:22:07 AM by AsTallAsLions »

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #286 on: July 23, 2020, 11:24:17 AM »
One of your fellow staffers made a comment on another thread not too long ago lambasting the erstwhile 'supporters' who dared have a pop at our manager and/or players before certain games and then disappear into the ether when those fixtures turned into victory. When I asked who they were referring to they said they wouldn't name names but referred to the threads and said it was easy to figure out, so I'm doing the same here in reverse to point out the hypocrisy now that the tables have turned.

Somebody has to, since you and some of the other mods are busy applauding those who are now coming on here and giving it large after an unlikely victory. It's fantastic that we beat Arsenal and have a fighting chance of survival; it's totally ridiculous to use a win as a stick to beat other supporters with.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we all bleed claret and blue here, we all want the club to stay up and do well. Nobody wants the club relegated. I don't understand why you insist on policing other posters' level of confidence in a given regime, or their optimism around future results. It's redundant.

That's not 'policing' though is it? No-one has been stopped from posting or banned because they don't have confidence in the manager.

That's a poster (mod or otherwise) posting their opinion on what other posters have said.

How is calling for people to apologise an opinion?

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #287 on: July 23, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »
Just shrug it off, it's not worth it and it gets boring pretty quick.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #288 on: July 23, 2020, 11:55:48 AM »
Perhaps people feel vindicated after being castigated for not being a moaning twat at every turn, for not believing in others' seemingly unfailing powers of prediction.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #289 on: July 23, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
I also don't get the notion that if you've posted something negative/ critical in the past, you automatically have to balance that by posting something positive when the opportunity allows.

Like I said a few days back, it's about taking the rough with the smooth. If a poster is constantly going to find the down side  to everything and then can't take a few moments to make a positive comment when we have some success, then what's the point? Why partake in a hobby that makes you constantly miserable?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #290 on: July 23, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
I also don't get the notion that if you've posted something negative/ critical in the past, you automatically have to balance that by posting something positive when the opportunity allows.

Like I said a few days back, it's about taking the rough with the smooth. If a poster is constantly going to find the down side  to everything and then can't take a few moments to make a positive comment when we have some success, then what's the point? Why partake in a hobby that makes you constantly miserable?
I'll ask my brother he's a bluenose

Offline The Edge

« Reply #291 on: July 23, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »
People who only show up to say "I told you so" after a poor result and then disappear when times are good get absolute pelters on here.

But when the tables are turned and it's Smith supporters coming out of the woodwork to shame those who have doubted him or criticised the team, the halos shine bright; they are the true fans.

Hmmmm.

I'm not a victim of anything, I've been here through the bad times and the good over the last several seasons, I've been wrong on some things and I've been right on other things, it's not about me.

This post is redundant. We had our little spats on here prior to the Arsenal game and I think that's mainly down to us all feeling the pressure of our predicament. It's done now because we beat them. Now we have one final push to secure our unlikely place in the Premier league next season. Can we not just pull together for Sunday? I'm a great believer in the power of positive thinking. UTV.

Yes I completely agree with your sentiment and we do all need to pull together for the final game. Others however are demanding 'apologies' (jaysis) from those who accused the team of not having any bollocks or anyone who called Smith or the players cowardly. Personally I have never levelled that charge at Smith's door; but I do think he's a bit useless sometimes and I stand by my opinion that he's not the right man for us going forward. Others apparently did say that, I'm not sure who, and I don't really care. We showed a lot of heart at Arsenal and I can only hope we do the same against West Ham. But I'm over the hypocrisy of the 'he said/she said' nonsense on here, it's all posturing.
Hairy muff. UTV

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #292 on: July 23, 2020, 12:15:26 PM »

Hmmmm.

Those last three words say a lot.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #293 on: July 23, 2020, 12:21:49 PM »

Hmmmm.

Well said, mate.

I've never understood why the whole 'coward' thing has had some people up in arms. As for apologising, I'm curious to whom I should be apologising to?

Anyway, up the Villa.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #294 on: July 23, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »
Perhaps people feel vindicated after being castigated for not being a moaning twat at every turn, for not believing in others' seemingly unfailing powers of prediction.

They're not moaning twats, they're "realists".

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #295 on: July 23, 2020, 12:30:39 PM »

They're not moaning twats, they're "realists".

God bless them. It's always helpful, when you find yourself in a cess pit, to have someone pointing out the smell.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #296 on: July 23, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
Who's demanded an apology for people being neagtive? I saw a post suggesting people apologise for calling the manager and squad cowards but that's not the same thing.

I'm pretty positive about where we are, I thought we'd survive when the lockdown started, I thought we had the squad to get the points once the games restarted and I think most of the team are young players who will improve as a result of this season. All of this is all over this section of the forum. However I posted on here a lot less than normalfor a week or 2 because anything about liking a player or seeing any silver lining attractive a handful of posters who insisted everything was shit. Some of it was so over the top that I just couldn't be bothered with it. If those people have to put up a with a week or 2 of 'bantz' then it's not like they didn't bring it on themselves.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #297 on: July 23, 2020, 12:35:15 PM »
Can we bring a halt to this now, please?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
Well said, mate.

I've never understood why the whole 'coward' thing has had some people up in arms. As for apologising, I'm curious to whom I should be apologising to?

Anyway, up the Villa.

Coward is, in my opinion, one of the very worst insult you can throw at someone and some people are far too eager to use it. I agree that there's no one to apologise to in this case but I do think people need to consider what they say a little more. AEG at Everton is a good example, some people saw that as him not wanting to get clattered by the keeper, I didn't, I saw it as someone struggling to decide what to do and ending up over-thinking it. Call it a bad miss, slag him off for it but reading more into it to question his character is uncalled for in my opinion and that's why some fans will bring that back up.

It's like the guy on here who claimed Benteke was shit after about 3 games and then refused to admit he was wrong after he became our best player for 3 seasons in a row. People remember strong opinions and when they're proven wrong they'll mention it.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2020, 12:49:03 PM »
Can we bring a halt to this now, please?

Shit, sorry, didn't spot this, I hope that last post isn't considered carrying it on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal