collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864930 times)

Offline sid1964

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #8280 on: September 29, 2020, 08:21:53 AM »
Sign Barkley who is dropped? He won’t sign for us unless he is guaranteed to start.

So if Hourihane is better than McGinn or luiz then one of them must go out of the side

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8281 on: September 29, 2020, 08:22:25 AM »
I feel that it's a bit harsh on Hourihane to say that all he does is score goals and gain assists - what else is there?
Well, as a MF, he needs to give cover for the left side: his defending is pretty woeful and Targett looks the worse for it.
I say that not because Hourihane is a target for my criticism, but because he could be so much better. I like a lot of what he does in the oppo's half of the pitch.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:24:41 AM by Mister E »

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #8282 on: September 29, 2020, 08:26:31 AM »
Hourihane isn’t always consistent, but What he also brings as well as assists, is leadership. I think he was instrumental is us staying up, when he came back into the team from the second of Man U onwards, he was really vocal, trying to drive the team on. This kind of thing is often over egged, but he actually does seem to care about playing for Villa and I really like the fact that he has worked his up through the divisions.
Saying all that a trio of Connor, McGinn and Luiz seems a bit light and we could do with another in their imo.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8283 on: September 29, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
Sign Barkley who is dropped? He won’t sign for us unless he is guaranteed to start.

So if Hourihane is better than McGinn or luiz then one of them must go out of the side

Don't sign him then. He's wank anyway.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8284 on: September 29, 2020, 08:37:36 AM »
I understand the concerns about Hourihane, but for his weaknesses, there is also a fair amount he offers (reminder last night).

Strikes me if we're talking poor performers of the last few years, there are plenty ahead of him.

What I do get, though, is the concern about relying on him. We should have options in that role (and in every role, really).

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #8285 on: September 29, 2020, 09:10:47 AM »
I think we should also take into consideration how much of a role Jacob Ramsey will play this season before we look to replace Hourihane. This lad is an excellent player, comfortable on the ball and plays with maturity beyond his age.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #8286 on: September 29, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »
Having Hourihane in the squad or team is not the problem, the problem is that we have very poor options on the bench. We need competition, and if we bring someone in then they should be better or different to what we have already. We have three good midfielders in McGinn, Hourihane and Luiz but play them all together and we look lightweight.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #8287 on: September 29, 2020, 09:16:54 AM »
See Lampard has confirmed RLC could be moving on loan this week. Also claims he's "fit as a fiddle" :o

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #8288 on: September 29, 2020, 09:18:27 AM »
Having Hourihane in the squad or team is not the problem, the problem is that we have very poor options on the bench. We need competition, and if we bring someone in then they should be better or different to what we have already. We have three good midfielders in McGinn, Hourihane and Luiz but play them all together and we look lightweight.

And if one or two of them get a knock, we're down to a talented but raw kid in Ramsey plus Nakamba and Lansbury as options. We absolutely need to bring another first team standard midfielder in as competition.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #8289 on: September 29, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
I understand the concerns about Hourihane, but for his weaknesses, there is also a fair amount he offers (reminder last night).

Strikes me if we're talking poor performers of the last few years, there are plenty ahead of him.

What I do get, though, is the concern about relying on him. We should have options in that role (and in every role, really).

I like him, but worry that in a 3 of McGinn, Luiz and Hourihane we are maybe a bit lightweight. Even dropping Grealish back into midfield I think still leaves us that way. So in a 3 or a 4 I think he would be the one that could be improved upon.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #8290 on: September 29, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »

I think it was DW who said, either on here or in his Birmingham Press piece, I can't remember, that our bench is now beginning to look that little bit stronger.  The likes of Ramsey will prove invaluable there as he gains experience when injuries and suspensions rear their ugly heads.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #8291 on: September 29, 2020, 09:33:53 AM »

I think it was DW who said, either on here or in his Birmingham Press piece, I can't remember, that our bench is now beginning to look that little bit stronger.  The likes of Ramsey will prove invaluable there as he gains experience when injuries and suspensions rear their ugly heads.

Edit. Quote fail.

And he is additional to the named 25.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #8292 on: September 29, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »
Connors main issue is consistency. He NEEDS someone pushing for his place in the squad. Bringing in another high quality CM will make all 3 of the midfield to up their games. As it stands were one injury away from Nakamba being a starter so a quality addition this week will be superb.
RLC or Barkley would really add someone we lack. Proper box to box, strength.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8293 on: September 29, 2020, 09:53:17 AM »
I suspect Rashica will come if Sarr doesn't.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #8294 on: September 29, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »

I like him, but worry that in a 3 of McGinn, Luiz and Hourihane we are maybe a bit lightweight. Even dropping Grealish back into midfield I think still leaves us that way. So in a 3 or a 4 I think he would be the one that could be improved upon.
Its a significant concern given the perceived calibre of players we have in the middle of the park that we have often looked like we've no midfield at all over the last 12 months.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal