collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 872650 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #8310 on: September 29, 2020, 11:30:09 AM »
Buendia. I'm not having Todd.

Yep, it's a choice between a character from One Hundred Years of Solitude and a character from Neighbours.

Always taking the magical realism perspective rather supporting our brave lads in the colonies. Sad, more than anything.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #8311 on: September 29, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
What we really need is someone better and more consistent than Targett as a first choice left back.

I get the willies every time the opposition move the ball into that area.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #8312 on: September 29, 2020, 11:45:27 AM »
Has Conor scored/assisted much against teams that aren't bottom-feeders (i.e Norwich/Newcastle/Fulham)?

Playing him at home and perhaps away against these teams he'll make an impact. Against top half teams he's too invisible  a lot of the time.

That's a good point eamonn. He does well against teams where we're not under constant pressure.  That said, his all round game is noticeably better of late.
My thoughts on him are similar.  He's a good player to have in the squad - probably better for specific games rather than every match, but to me that's absolutely fine ... players need a rest from time to time, so there's comfortably room to fit a player like him in.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #8314 on: September 29, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »
In squeaky nonsense potter voice “ And quite right too , Todd is a complete and utter F**king Tod warrior. I’m Neil Hunt and I’m f*cking loving my life”
Apologies to the majority who don’t follow Athletico Mince, to whom the above will make about as much sense as most of the rest of my posts.

Online rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #8315 on: September 29, 2020, 12:10:52 PM »

Hourihane doesn't add much without the ball. One paced, completely one sided and not the strongest. Any kind of decent midfield that presses us high up to pitch and he will struggle. Unfortunately I expect we will get a reminder of that on Sunday.

But you cant knock what he does give us. Tidy in possession with his left foot when given space. Superb at set pieces and knows where the goal is. Combines well with the likes of Grealish and McGinn. Whenever he gets dropped he tends to find a way back into the team. Very good professional and one of our best signings in recent years.

I'm not sure what more Barkley would give us that Hourihane doesn't. Barkley is also a passenger without the ball and holds onto the ball too long. It's an upgrade on Nakamba we really need.

Agree with all of this. We really struggled last season against high pressing teams. Our midfield gets overrun and it ends up being Mings and the full backs belting out long balls, giving away possession and having to deal with sustained pressure. Against sides like that, we need someone next to Luiz who can help retain possession, and to pass the ball out of the high press.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8316 on: September 29, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »

Yep, it's a choice between a character from One Hundred Years of Solitude and a character from Neighbours.

Always taking the magical realism perspective rather supporting our brave lads in the colonies. Sad, more than anything.

Well I heard transfer news from the  Simpsons. Not sure how reliable.  But its about their Neighbours moving .  Todd's agent is his father Ned. And the transfer negotiation for  his son being recruited is taking place at some farmland in Norwich which Ned owns.

Yes thats right its in flanders fields.

Thats almost as good/bad as my Shakespeare's Sister pun.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8317 on: September 29, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
Just to balance the "Hourihane only delivers against rubbish teams" argument out, his assists were against Newcastle, Palace, Everton and Norwich last season. Palace and Newcastle have pretty well drilled sides and are generally good against set plays, so I think the argument is pretty flawed for picking holes in his delivery, His free kicks and set piece delivery are excellent, and our goal vs Sheffield was all to do with substitutions just before it and Utd not picking up properly, not the brilliance of the ball in.

I agree we need better in open play to move forward, but Hourihane for a team 10-17th in the Prem is good enough, and brings plenty to the table and invariably is involved in good things that we do.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8318 on: September 29, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »
Don't think there's anything wrong with getting goals and assists against sides around us in the table. If that is the case then far from arguing that he's terrible, you could actually even argue he kept us up.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8319 on: September 29, 2020, 12:28:36 PM »
You could but maybe an upgrade in his position would have got us more points against the top 12.

He is a useful player to have but after Targett and Trezeguet (who will lose his place to Traoré soon) he is the next player that needs to be upgraded as a regular starter.

Online rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #8320 on: September 29, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
It’s not about rubbish teams, it’s about the opposition style of play. I think Hourihane offers a lot, but is better suited against teams who don’t press high. He’s good for 15-20 starts a season, but we also need an alternative when we come up against high pressure sides, and Nakamba isn’t the solution. We also need more depth there to cover for injuries. Ramsey has shown some real promise, but mightn’t be ready for that level of involvement yet.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #8321 on: September 29, 2020, 12:51:09 PM »
I'd prefer RLC as I think he's more suited to playing deeper (and that's what we need), but if we got Barkley we'd be a pretty exciting team. Another maverick and someone who can carry the ball alongside Jack and Traore

Online gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #8322 on: September 29, 2020, 01:02:05 PM »
LB is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. I think Grealish needs to move into the centre which means left side is further depleted (Trez isn't the long term answer).

A strong "Cash" like LB, and forthright DM (who can get hold of a game and dictate the tempo alongside Luiz - Nakamba isnt the answer) are the two positions I think are critical to continued progression up the table   

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8323 on: September 29, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
Has Conor scored/assisted much against teams that aren't bottom-feeders (i.e Norwich/Newcastle/Fulham)?

Playing him at home and perhaps away against these teams he'll make an impact. Against top half teams he's too invisible  a lot of the time.

That's a good point eamonn. He does well against teams where we're not under constant pressure.  That said, his all round game is noticeably better of late.
My thoughts on him are similar.  He's a good player to have in the squad - probably better for specific games rather than every match, but to me that's absolutely fine ... players need a rest from time to time, so there's comfortably room to fit a player like him in.
i agree, he brings something to the squad but i dont think he is good enough to be a regular starter at this level.
He is dreadfull defensivly but usefull offensivly. sometimes

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #8324 on: September 29, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »
I'd prefer RLC as I think he's more suited to playing deeper (and that's what we need), but if we got Barkley we'd be a pretty exciting team. Another maverick and someone who can carry the ball alongside Jack and Traore
Former Chelsea manager,Antonio Conte,reckoned that RLC could become a good striker.His injury problems are a concern but either him or Barkley would be a massive upgrade on Conor.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal