collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 875140 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #8295 on: September 29, 2020, 10:03:12 AM »
Connors main issue is consistency. He NEEDS someone pushing for his place in the squad. Bringing in another high quality CM will make all 3 of the midfield to up their games. As it stands were one injury away from Nakamba being a starter so a quality addition this week will be superb.
RLC or Barkley would really add someone we lack. Proper box to box, strength.

Hourihane doesn't add much without the ball. One paced, completely one sided and not the strongest. Any kind of decent midfield that presses us high up to pitch and he will struggle. Unfortunately I expect we will get a reminder of that on Sunday.

But you cant knock what he does give us. Tidy in possession with his left foot when given space. Superb at set pieces and knows where the goal is. Combines well with the likes of Grealish and McGinn. Whenever he gets dropped he tends to find a way back into the team. Very good professional and one of our best signings in recent years.

I'm not sure what more Barkley would give us that Hourihane doesn't. Barkley is also a passenger without the ball and holds onto the ball too long. It's an upgrade on Nakamba we really need.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8296 on: September 29, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
Has Conor scored/assisted much against teams that aren't bottom-feeders (i.e Norwich/Newcastle/Fulham)?

Playing him at home and perhaps away against these teams he'll make an impact. Against top half teams he's too invisible  a lot of the time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8297 on: September 29, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »
Has Conor scored/assisted much against teams that aren't bottom-feeders (i.e Norwich/Newcastle/Fulham)?

Playing him at home and perhaps away against these teams he'll make an impact. Against top half teams he's too invisible  a lot of the time.

That's a good point eamonn. He does well against teams where we're not under constant pressure.  That said, his all round game is noticeably better of late.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #8298 on: September 29, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »
Hourihane's career 'trajectory' (through each of the professional leagues) has been all about learning and improving, so we shouldn't be surprised that he is doing the same.  I like him, but I can see how we need players in who are consistently better than the ones we have already.   

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8299 on: September 29, 2020, 10:20:11 AM »
Currently odds-on for both Sarr and Barkley...

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #8300 on: September 29, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »
I suspect Rashica will come if Sarr doesn't.

I not sure on those Sarr rumours but there are 2 Norwich players I think a deal for one if not both could be made.

Done be surprised if we sign one of Cantwell and Buendia. Both are looking likely to be leaving Norwich. And want Premier league football
Farke basically had enough of them from what hearing and Cantwell is being left out of  squads just like Buendia has as they want premier league football.
There have been strong links for both and the Buendia  link has been around for a while in previous window as well as Villa enquiries into Cantwell.

Leeds were supposedly interested for Todd over the weekend  but they are instead signing a young midfield player from Bayern Munich. Because of the better value price and fees.

I think either Norwich  player is happy to come here and if Villa were the unnamed premier league club that bid for Cantwell back in August I can see another move coming about for him. Certainly fits the profile for Dean Smith md would provide energy and creativity as attacking midfielder

Remember  we've seem these moves take time for Watkins and Martinez  with all the fees and money to be agreed. A suitable deal needs to be offered that fits.

It would also make sense to swap out Jota as exchange for one of them.

As both will be leaving you have to figure which Premier  league sides want them , can afford them and how they would fit.
To me Villa would be a good match all round for Cantwell  and Buendia. 

Lets hope we get a deal to sign one if not both.

I like the sound of the Bayern youngster. Let’s sign him instead

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #8301 on: September 29, 2020, 10:26:40 AM »

Well spotted . Though we all know he's limited but exactly that's just how limited he is.
The stats back this up. He has no impact whatsoever against any real quality instead his main strength of goal scoring and assists only come into play against lesser opposition.
Basically Hourihane has reached his ceiling he'll never be any better.

Goals last season came against Norwich , Newcastle and then against weakened cup team opposition Brighton and Liverpool.

Similarly his assists 5 came against
Norwich
Newcastle twice
And upon resumption of league:
2 very poor and uncompetitive teams Palace and Everton

So it's very clear like you say his impact is only against lowly opposition. And should be nothing more than a squad player. Because of his endeavour , professionalism and decent attitude he could stay on and a squad member for the right occasion. But to push on he would need upgrading.

I think ‘not performing against the top teams’ could be levelled against most of our team last season

Conor just never looks mobile enough for the premier league

Offline supertom

« Reply #8302 on: September 29, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »
I like Conor, I don't think he's done a lot wrong since restart to be honest. He's a goal threat. He gets in great positions in and around the box, and when you have Grealish and McGinn, someone will pick him out. He also, more often than not, will tuck a chance away. He is still a squad player, and I expect he'll be the type who starts 20-25 games and comes off the bench in others.
Like others have said, in theory it's the games against top 6 sides where you maybe wouldn't play him (particularly away) and that's where I think we need an upgrade is on Nakamba. Nakamba, for his position is a bit too lightweight.

I'd be looking at a DMF and left back at this stage. If we can get another winger over the line and get a bit of cash back on AEG, then great. If we can't, then having AEG in the squad isn't the worst thing in the world. In theory too, if we're in a bit less of a full on relegation scrap this season, a player like AEG will look better in a team that wins more games. He doesn't do scrapping, but can produce great moments. Winning makes a team enjoy the football a bit more, and that tends to suit mercurial players. When the team played well JPA played well for example.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8303 on: September 29, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
I said a while ago that I thought Conor would get better as the team got better because he plays well when we're on the front foot, collectively.
However, he is a squad player and we need more in MF.
L-Cheek and Buendia would be my wishlist; with Sessegnon on loan too.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8304 on: September 29, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »
I like Conor, I don't think he's done a lot wrong since restart to be honest. He's a goal threat. He gets in great positions in and around the box, and when you have Grealish and McGinn, someone will pick him out. He also, more often than not, will tuck a chance away. He is still a squad player, and I expect he'll be the type who starts 20-25 games and comes off the bench in others.
Like others have said, in theory it's the games against top 6 sides where you maybe wouldn't play him (particularly away) and that's where I think we need an upgrade is on Nakamba. Nakamba, for his position is a bit too lightweight.

I'd be looking at a DMF and left back at this stage. If we can get another winger over the line and get a bit of cash back on AEG, then great. If we can't, then having AEG in the squad isn't the worst thing in the world. In theory too, if we're in a bit less of a full on relegation scrap this season, a player like AEG will look better in a team that wins more games. He doesn't do scrapping, but can produce great moments. Winning makes a team enjoy the football a bit more, and that tends to suit mercurial players. When the team played well JPA played well for example.

Completely agree. DM and left back are two areas that badly need strengthening if we are to try and be a top 10 team. It's noticeable that as clinical as we were last night that we still tend to have much less of the ball than our opponents, we let far too much come through our middle and left flank. That will be punished against better sides but you'd hope with the new players, work rate and confidence that we will be well clear of the drop this year

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8305 on: September 29, 2020, 10:42:30 AM »

Well spotted . Though we all know he's limited but exactly that's just how limited he is.
The stats back this up. He has no impact whatsoever against any real quality instead his main strength of goal scoring and assists only come into play against lesser opposition.
Basically Hourihane has reached his ceiling he'll never be any better.

Goals last season came against Norwich , Newcastle and then against weakened cup team opposition Brighton and Liverpool.

Similarly his assists 5 came against
Norwich
Newcastle twice
And upon resumption of league:
2 very poor and uncompetitive teams Palace and Everton

So it's very clear like you say his impact is only against lowly opposition. And should be nothing more than a squad player. Because of his endeavour , professionalism and decent attitude he could stay on and a squad member for the right occasion. But to push on he would need upgrading.

I think ‘not performing against the top teams’ could be levelled against most of our team last season

Conor just never looks mobile enough for the premier league
Yes granted.
But specific on Hourihane can't deny the bare facts his set piece threat is only of any impact against lesser teams as his goalscoring.
He hasn't proved anything against top opposition.

Now for example Trezeguet maybe a contrast or maybe a big game performer ?
He performed with a goal against many a top team. With goals against Liverpool , Wolves, Chelsea, won a penalty at man city.

And came up with goals in must wins v Arsenal and  2 Vs Palace.
And of course Leicester in the cup semi last minute he scored.
So can say Trez has shown he has nerve for the occasion and finds a but extra. And could progress.

We can't say the same for Hourihane based on what he did last season.

He did score in the playoff semi-final.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #8306 on: September 29, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
There's no beef, footy. I just think he deserves more respect than he gets. And every team he plays while he's wearing our shirt is a lesser team.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #8307 on: September 29, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »
Buendia. I'm not having Todd.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #8308 on: September 29, 2020, 11:22:14 AM »
Rashica!!!

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8309 on: September 29, 2020, 11:24:58 AM »
Buendia. I'm not having Todd.

Yep, it's a choice between a character from One Hundred Years of Solitude and a character from Neighbours.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal