collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864375 times)

Offline danno

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7770 on: September 24, 2020, 12:28:51 AM »
Ante Budimir ?

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2020/09/23/5f6b41c622601d57198b45c9.html

( he was mentioned earlier, but it got lost in amongst all antler wordplay)

Offline danno

« Reply #7771 on: September 24, 2020, 12:32:54 AM »
The midfield positioning we need strengthening though is next to Luiz, ultimately replacing Nakamba and pushing Hourihane to the bench. Barkley isn't that player anyway, has no tactical or positional discipline whatsoever. Not sure we need another attacking midfielder. Trying to fit Traore, McGinn, Grealish and possibly still Rashica in will be a challenge. Perhaps more competition for McGinn would be good but LB particularly and LCM are still the two priority positions for me.

Is there any reason McGinn couldn't play as a left sided central midfielder? Assuming that we buy/loan another midfielder who is pre dominantly right footed.

Unless Taylor moves on I doubt signing a left back is going to happen.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #7772 on: September 24, 2020, 12:45:54 AM »
The midfield positioning we need strengthening though is next to Luiz, ultimately replacing Nakamba and pushing Hourihane to the bench. Barkley isn't that player anyway, has no tactical or positional discipline whatsoever. Not sure we need another attacking midfielder. Trying to fit Traore, McGinn, Grealish and possibly still Rashica in will be a challenge. Perhaps more competition for McGinn would be good but LB particularly and LCM are still the two priority positions for me.

Is there any reason McGinn couldn't play as a left sided central midfielder? Assuming that we buy/loan another midfielder who is pre dominantly right footed.

Unless Taylor moves on I doubt signing a left back is going to happen.

McGinn struggled there in the championship so a definite no for me. Same problem as Barkley regarding tactical discipline, general fitness/mobility concerns and his range of passing is quite limited. He's at his best running with the ball and bum rolling. Trying that in front of our box is asking for trouble.

If/when his forms turns around he was at his best for us as an inside right I think (JM/JG/AA) with an overlapping full back outside him. But with Traore coming in I don't think it's being considered. McGinns form needs to improve either way.

Seems that way at LB alright but I think that's a grave error of judgement from Smith if so. Matt Targett is dreadful and Taylor isn't good enough for a decent championship team.

Offline danno

« Reply #7773 on: September 24, 2020, 12:53:22 AM »
Yes, I think I imagined Luiz sitting with two others bombing forward. A brief second contemplating a midfield three of Luiz McGinn and Barkley trying to defend did make me laugh.

I think I'd prefer us to be linked with one of those boring English holding midfielders Southgate seems so enamoured with.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #7774 on: September 24, 2020, 01:25:07 AM »
Ante Budimir ?

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2020/09/23/5f6b41c622601d57198b45c9.html

( he was mentioned earlier, but it got lost in amongst all antler wordplay)

We don't have a great track record with Croatians do we? Balaban and Kalisinic - anyone else?

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #7775 on: September 24, 2020, 06:47:22 AM »
Yes, I think I imagined Luiz sitting with two others bombing forward. A brief second contemplating a midfield three of Luiz McGinn and Barkley trying to defend did make me laugh.

I think I'd prefer us to be linked with one of those boring English holding midfielders Southgate seems so enamoured with.

Didn’t Loftus-Cheek play DCM for Crystal Palace, the form that got him into the England squad/team?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #7776 on: September 24, 2020, 07:32:25 AM »

Didn’t Loftus-Cheek play DCM for Crystal Palace, the form that got him into the England squad/team?

According to Transfermarkt, he played either left midfield or central, but a few games in defensive midfield that season. I like him as a player, good size, good ability. Just needs someone to make him their top dog in a position and be allowed to develop, and long term think he would be a really good fit.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #7777 on: September 24, 2020, 07:57:21 AM »
Links to Loftus Cheek and Barkley! Yes to both, we lack quality competition in midfield.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7778 on: September 24, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
Have to be impressed by the ambition Wolves are showing

Shopping in a more impressive shop than us.

A closed one? Owned by Mendes?

Online LeeB

« Reply #7779 on: September 24, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »
I'd be very happy with Loftus-Cheek, not so much Barkley, I've never rated him. He has talent, but his decision making is woeful.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7780 on: September 24, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »
L-Cheek, first choice - has he also played temporary CB in his career?
I think we lack that physicality in MF that he would bring.
If we could get him on a perm and bring in Barkley as a loan; that would be amazing business.

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #7781 on: September 24, 2020, 08:22:53 AM »

Samedo who they’ve been linked with for £30m hasn’t done anything to justify that sort of fee, granted he’s younger and probably will get better under the right coach but he’s half the player of Doherty. Maybe the wolves system will suit him better.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #7782 on: September 24, 2020, 08:24:43 AM »
If Spurs really are willing to release Ryan Sessignon surely he’d be well worth a season loan with option to buy. Covers left back or left midfield. Scores goals too.

Online LeeB

« Reply #7783 on: September 24, 2020, 08:26:49 AM »
If Spurs really are willing to release Ryan Sessignon surely he’d be well worth a season loan with option to buy. Covers left back or left midfield. Scores goals too.

Yeah, I'd be all over that one.

Online LeeB

« Reply #7784 on: September 24, 2020, 08:31:36 AM »

Samedo who they’ve been linked with for £30m hasn’t done anything to justify that sort of fee, granted he’s younger and probably will get better under the right coach but he’s half the player of Doherty. Maybe the wolves system will suit him better.

Barcelona are signing Max Aarons from Norwich to replace Samedo for £20m. Wouldn't it make more sense for Wolves to go for him? Or are they not allowed to?

And Doherty for £14m, a player at the top of his game, to one of your rivals, but £30m for a player surplus to requirements at Barcelona? And £30m on an 18 year old to replace Jota?

Nothing to see here, move along.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:33:46 AM by LeeB »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal