collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864533 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7755 on: September 23, 2020, 11:09:57 PM »
I would take either happily. Loftus Cheek has greater potential but either would seriously improve out midfield.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7756 on: September 23, 2020, 11:13:36 PM »
Chwek has a lot of strength and pace. I think Barkley has done pretty well at Chelsea myself, surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for him.

Fully appreciate his wages are high, but what would people really expect?

Offline Hairbandinho

« Reply #7757 on: September 23, 2020, 11:14:54 PM »
Don't want loans where we just help Chelsea and pay for the privilege to do so. Fail to see what we gain from it.

Offline enigma

« Reply #7758 on: September 23, 2020, 11:16:07 PM »
Yes to either of them. Can't belive people think Barkley isn't good enough for us. Good player who can be excellent on his day.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7759 on: September 23, 2020, 11:16:57 PM »
Lampard came in for a lot of stick for picking Loftus-Cheek against Brighton and then he's not been in the squad for the Liverpool or cup games. With Barkley being involved, you can see Loftus-Cheek being more realistic. They would want to give him regular football for him to recovery from his injury. Loftus-Cheek apparently worked hard on his rehab which bodes well for his attitude.

Both will want regular football to get into the England squad next summer.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #7760 on: September 23, 2020, 11:19:26 PM »
I’d take either but prefer RLC , I’d ask them about Hudson Odoi as well while we’re at it!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7761 on: September 23, 2020, 11:19:40 PM »
Needs must, players move on a lot these days, some permanent signings are glorified loans in a sense (Guilbert, Engels, Samatta could all be moved on after a year or less with us) so I'm not against one or two borrowed players that would be difficult to sign permanently. 

Barkeley flatters to deceive still and hasn't kicked-on from the rave reviews he got as a teen but he would still offer more presence and attacking threat from open play than Nakamba and Conor, maybe even McGinn.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #7762 on: September 23, 2020, 11:23:14 PM »
I think if you are spending 100m+ on permanent signings we can’t really quibble if the club want to bring in one or two loans to supplement the squad for the season.  Both are good players & would provide high level competition to Douglas / McGinn etc and hopefully push them onto greater performances

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7763 on: September 23, 2020, 11:23:50 PM »
Chwek has a lot of strength and pace. I think Barkley has done pretty well at Chelsea myself, surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for him.

Fully appreciate his wages are high, but what would people really expect?

Agreed. He’s a good player. He would stand out in our midfield, less so in a team like Chelsea where he is surrounded by better talent. Both are good. I suppose RLC has greater potential but concerning that at 24 he really hasn’t played a lot of football for one reason or another. Barkley is just at that right age though to really come through and be a solid player for next 3-4 years.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7764 on: September 23, 2020, 11:25:15 PM »
Barkley would be a step up from SJM which I think he needs in terms of a challenge but also so we can use his energy sparingly.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7765 on: September 23, 2020, 11:33:27 PM »
Keep forgetting Barkley is still young. He's a good player on his day, but he should score far more than he does

I would say he is the exactly the kind of player we need if McGinn is going to play in a deeper role alongside Luiz.  Would be heavily dependent on his attitude and appetite for a move though - could have another Stephen Ireland written all over it.

Oh don't get me wrong i'd take him, especially with his premiership experience. The other thing is he didn't cost them that much in modern transfer terms so if he did join on a loan to buy i'd imagine a deal could be done without breaking the bank if he was a success

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7766 on: September 23, 2020, 11:46:39 PM »
Don't want loans where we just help Chelsea and pay for the privilege to do so. Fail to see what we gain from it.

Talk it would go to permanent next summer if he'd play enough games/impress enough.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #7767 on: September 23, 2020, 11:52:44 PM »
Either , but I think Loftus-Cheek has the greater potential and could be really exciting. We really need an athletic, box to box midfielder. He reminds me of Ian Taylor, but not so good, obviously.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #7768 on: September 23, 2020, 11:59:35 PM »
Still think we desperately need a decent left back but Smith seems to have a blind spot about Targett, so I don’t think it will happen for a moment.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #7769 on: September 24, 2020, 12:27:04 AM »
The midfield positioning we need strengthening though is next to Luiz, ultimately replacing Nakamba and pushing Hourihane to the bench. Barkley isn't that player anyway, has no tactical or positional discipline whatsoever. Not sure we need another attacking midfielder. Trying to fit Traore, McGinn, Grealish and possibly still Rashica in will be a challenge. Perhaps more competition for McGinn would be good but LB particularly and LCM are still the two priority positions for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal