collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864801 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1260 on: August 02, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »
Origi is a full international for Belgium and has developed really well at Liverpool. I think he’d be a very smart signing. Another proven PL player I wouldn’t mind at all is Troy Deeney. Yeh, yeh all the Nose stuff but he’s a brilliant professional who has proven it over many years in the PL. At 32 he wouldn’t have to play every week but for me he’d be a brilliant leader to help along Wesley and Samatta. Number one choice though is Tammy as he has everything we want in our style of play for a striker and centre forward, young and still getting better.

How has Origi developed well at Liverpool? 7 goals in 40 league appearances in last 2 seasons, when Liverpool have been hammering all around then. Granted he is up against three quality forwards but he looks distinctly average I think. Deeney is a great warrior but was dogged by injuries this season, think his legs are gone to be honest.

Agreed on Tammy as number one choice. Ive always liked Che Adams who struggled for most of this season but got going post lockdown. Chris Wood is a decent target man too.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1261 on: August 02, 2020, 08:33:46 PM »
Origi is a full international for Belgium and has developed really well at Liverpool. I think he’d be a very smart signing. Another proven PL player I wouldn’t mind at all is Troy Deeney. Yeh, yeh all the Nose stuff but he’s a brilliant professional who has proven it over many years in the PL. At 32 he wouldn’t have to play every week but for me he’d be a brilliant leader to help along Wesley and Samatta. Number one choice though is Tammy as he has everything we want in our style of play for a striker and centre forward, young and still getting better.

How has Origi developed well at Liverpool? 7 goals in 40 league appearances in last 2 seasons, when Liverpool have been hammering all around then. Granted he is up against three quality forwards but he looks distinctly average I think. Deeney is a great warrior but was dogged by injuries this season, think his legs are gone to be honest.

Agreed on Tammy as number one choice. Ive always liked Che Adams who struggled for most of this season but got going post lockdown. Chris Wood is a decent target man too.

He’s scored in cup games too most notably in the CL. And his time naturally was always going to be limited by who he plays with. His stats are certainly favourable last season to Danny Ings’ last season at Liverpool. I don’t know if he’s the answer but you have to think (as with Ings) he’s been coached really well and learned a thing or two by playing with some of the best forwards in Europe. He’s 25 so it’s about time he started playing on a regular basis. So for me it wouldn’t be the worst signing for the right price.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1262 on: August 02, 2020, 09:10:03 PM »
We'd have probably all said no to Jamie Vardy 5 years ago...

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1263 on: August 02, 2020, 09:33:44 PM »
The goals per game is always harsh when it relates to a player who rarely starts. His goals last season work out as every 176 mins apparently, so 0.51 a game. I'm not saying it means much (Firminio's is 0.26 and is quality) but neither does the the 7 in 40. Maybe 6 of the goals were against Hereford.

I just think he's alright and it all depends on how much they're asking for. I'd have him ahead of Samatta and Davis but that isn't exactly saying much.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1264 on: August 02, 2020, 09:36:20 PM »
Origi strikes me as the next Milan Baros.  I just can’t see his heart being in it.  I read he was regularly booed whilst on loan from Liverpool in France (Lille?) Which suggests he thinks he should be at a big club or is a flat track bully.

he’s the sort of player where a loan (with buy option) would be the way to go.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1265 on: August 02, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
Origi strikes me as the next Milan Baros.  I just can’t see his heart being in it.  I read he was regularly booed whilst on loan from Liverpool in France (Lille?) Which suggests he thinks he should be at a big club or is a flat track bully.

he’s the sort of player where a loan (with buy option) would be the way to go.

Yeah I think that's fair.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1266 on: August 02, 2020, 09:45:28 PM »
We’re not going to get players who will immediately want or expect European football without paying way over the odds. We need to find players that are obviously going to be better than what we have, but are also motivated to come to us to improve themselves and us, but also will be contributors to our progression. It will be an achievement on our part to secure a mid table position and properly compete in every game vs the top 6 or 7 sides, even winning a few. We only did that once last season. So yes, we need better but our expectations need to be measured and it includes who we can bring in based on what we are and hope to be in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Yep. Players in that 25-28 age range who might be out of favour but still have that hunger and drive, Laursen and Carew were good examples of that. Helped lift us to regular 6th place finishes.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1267 on: August 02, 2020, 10:03:51 PM »
Would anyone take Sokratis as a CB option?

Completely forgot about him until he came on for Arsenal tonight. They said he's leaving Arsenal as he dosen't fit Arteta's build from the back plan but he does have excellent experience playing for Milan, Bremen and Dortmund and would be a rugged CB next to Mings. 90 caps for Greece and they do actually have some good CBs to pick from.
He is a complete twat.

Ha, sounds like you’ve been on a stag do or something with him in the past.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1268 on: August 02, 2020, 10:43:11 PM »
Can i have the next John Carew please.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #1269 on: August 02, 2020, 10:46:09 PM »
Can i have the next John Carew please.

To think we got him for one Milan Baros. And to think that someone wanted Baros so much that he would give up Carew.

And to think we then gave that person the bloody managers job when it next came up.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1270 on: August 02, 2020, 10:48:49 PM »
Sokratis - I'm not sure it's sensible to look at central defenders that can't get a game ahead of sideshow bob.

Yep. Players in that 25-28 age range who might be out of favour but still have that hunger and drive, Laursen and Carew were good examples of that. Helped lift us to regular 6th place finishes.

Players in that range are really hard to judge though, for every Laursen and Carew there's an Ireland, Drinkwater or Richards. Finding players with talent, fitness and something to prove after they've had a spell out of favour or with injuries is the aim of almost every scouting network in the 4-5 big leagues across Europe.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1271 on: August 02, 2020, 10:53:17 PM »
Sokratis - I'm not sure it's sensible to look at central defenders that can't get a game ahead of sideshow bob.

Players in that range are really hard to judge though, for every Laursen and Carew there's an Ireland, Drinkwater or Richards. Finding players with talent, fitness and something to prove after they've had a spell out of favour or with injuries is the aim of almost every scouting network in the 4-5 big leagues across Europe.

The David Luiz thing baffles me more than anything else in football. He once made some big team of the year if I remember correctly and yet he's widely laughed at. For so many managers to stick with him as a defender we must be wrong. We have to be.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1272 on: August 02, 2020, 10:55:19 PM »

The David Luiz thing baffles me more than anything else in football. He once made some big team of the year if I remember correctly and yet he's widely laughed at. For so many managers to stick with him as a defender we must be wrong. We have to be.

He can play, he's just not a defender.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #1273 on: August 02, 2020, 10:57:46 PM »

Probably not quite quick enough in midfield, but has major skill. Concentration seems to be his achillies.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1274 on: August 02, 2020, 10:58:49 PM »

I completely agree, I always assumed he would end up in midfield. So why does he play in defence? At a push he can work in a 3 but even then he just hasn't got the concentration to maintain that week in week out. As so many managers persevere with him though we must be missing something.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal