collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864463 times)

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1155 on: August 01, 2020, 09:35:06 PM »
I guess it's all down to how much money they want to spend. There's a world of difference between what we could achieve with £100m to £50m

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1156 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:39 PM »
Would anyone take Sokratis as a CB option?

Completely forgot about him until he came on for Arsenal tonight. They said he's leaving Arsenal as he dosen't fit Arteta's build from the back plan but he does have excellent experience playing for Milan, Bremen and Dortmund and would be a rugged CB next to Mings. 90 caps for Greece and they do actually have some good CBs to pick from.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #1157 on: August 01, 2020, 10:32:51 PM »
Eddie Howe is looking for a new role . seeing as the majority on here has slated your current boss this season worth a punt ?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1158 on: August 01, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »
Eddie Howe is looking for a new role . seeing as the majority on here has slated your current boss this season worth a punt ?

That was last week. Us fickle vilers love him again now.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1159 on: August 01, 2020, 10:37:58 PM »
Howe is a coward.  He took them down, he should be a man and take them back up.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1160 on: August 01, 2020, 10:40:57 PM »

Completely forgot about him until he came on for Arsenal tonight. They said he's leaving Arsenal as he dosen't fit Arteta's build from the back plan but he does have excellent experience playing for Milan, Bremen and Dortmund and would be a rugged CB next to Mings. 90 caps for Greece and they do actually have some good CBs to pick from.
He is a complete twat.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #1161 on: August 01, 2020, 10:43:00 PM »
maybe he's got something lined up already ?
think he would be a huge asset to any lower prem league club / top level club abroad
his teams play the right way
if VAR worked they might still be in the prem !

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1162 on: August 01, 2020, 10:47:43 PM »
think he would be a huge asset to any lower prem league club / top level club abroad

If VAR worked, we may not have been in a relegation scrap. Or at least, out of the running before the last day.  Bournemouth were poor, they couldn't defend and went down.  Howe was unlucky with injuries and some poor decisions from a couple who chose not to play after their contracts ran out, but he should do the right thing and make an effort to bring them back up.  It's not as if he won't have money to spend.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1163 on: August 01, 2020, 10:56:39 PM »

I think we’re good at CB. The last few games showed great promise that collectively we can defend well in games. You could argue it came about through Hause’s misfortune and the introduction of Elmo/Freddie. Also the true arrival of Douglas Luiz as a DM. His work rate was incredible in helping out the back four. We absolutely have to improve at LB. Targett is a solid enough back up but he shouldn’t be relied upon to start next season. If we add or improve at CB it should be once all of our business is done. The weak link for me of the 4 is Hause but he’s an adequate option to back up Mings. Plus I imagine a player like Sokratis will be able to get a spot in a number of clubs playing European competition to finish his career.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1164 on: August 01, 2020, 11:01:11 PM »

Ironically not the thinking man's CB.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:04:44 PM by Brazilian Villain »

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1165 on: August 01, 2020, 11:06:05 PM »

He seems a decent bloke but Bournemouth let in 60+ goals in each of the last 5 seasons. Previously their goals scored kept them up but they dried up this year. Maybe they were lucky to stay in the Prem this long. As others have noted here I think he needs a break from football for a while before coming back to a new challenge.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1166 on: August 01, 2020, 11:08:40 PM »

I think we’re good at CB. The last few games showed great promise that collectively we can defend well in games. You could argue it came about through Hause’s misfortune and the introduction of Elmo/Freddie. Also the true arrival of Douglas Luiz as a DM. His work rate was incredible in helping out the back four. We absolutely have to improve at LB. Targett is a solid enough back up but he shouldn’t be relied upon to start next season. If we add or improve at CB it should be once all of our business is done. The weak link for me of the 4 is Hause but he’s an adequate option to back up Mings. Plus I imagine a player like Sokratis will be able to get a spot in a number of clubs playing European competition to finish his career.

We did improve in defence since restart but to me it's a small sample size against a couple of teams on the beach. The Arsenal performance was very good though so that's something to build for next season as we still crumble a bit when better teams start to attack us more e.g. Chelsea scoring twice in about four minutes at VP.

Konsa has obviously improved but a worry to me is if Mings is out for a month or two next season as it completely fell apart at the back when he was out in December. And to a lesser extent v Spurs when they could've easily scored 6 despite us being well in that match.

I would prefer another experienced CB in the squad even just to come in when Mings can't play and provide that vocal leadership that Konsa won't have quite yet.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #1167 on: August 01, 2020, 11:18:50 PM »
I think the thing is we need to buy the equivalent of £30m pound prem players, or a bit less outside the prem.
If the budget this year is 60m, just get 2. Then use loans if we have to. If the Budget is 60 I don't really want 5 £12m  players to fill the squad.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1168 on: August 02, 2020, 12:08:19 AM »
I think the thing is we need to buy the equivalent of £30m pound prem players, or a bit less outside the prem.
If the budget this year is 60m, just get 2. Then use loans if we have to. If the Budget is 60 I don't really want 5 £12m  players to fill the squad.
£30m certainly gets you prem.players and quality is better than quantity but Championship midfielders like Swift or Grimes for 6-7m would be an upgrade on Hourihane and Karlan Grant,prolific  Huddersfield striker at £15-17m,would be better than our current fit strikers.Aaron Hickey,Scottish 18 yr old full back will be better than Neil Taylor at 2-3m and have 30m to spend on someone else.Or if Brentford don't get promoted buy Benrhama and Watkins at 40-50m and get Swift/ Grimes and Hickey.The essential is to back your judgement and experience means already conditioned to English football.
People have decried buying from the Belgian league,Lille bought a 20 yr old striker,Osimhen, from Charleroi last year, for £13m and have sold him to Napoli for at least £45m.

Offline dave17

« Reply #1169 on: August 02, 2020, 04:01:19 AM »

He seems a decent bloke but Bournemouth let in 60+ goals in each of the last 5 seasons. Previously their goals scored kept them up but they dried up this year. Maybe they were lucky to stay in the Prem this long. As others have noted here I think he needs a break from football for a while before coming back to a new challenge.
he bought well too :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal