collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 02:52:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:51:36 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 877128 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1185 on: August 02, 2020, 10:47:17 AM »
I think we should send a walk of shame delegation to Eddie Howe’s house right now to apologise for calling him the c word.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1186 on: August 02, 2020, 10:50:21 AM »
I think we should send a walk of shame delegation to Eddie Howe’s house right now to apologise for calling him the c word.

'Dropping the c-bomb'.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1187 on: August 02, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »
Howe is a coward.  He took them down, he should be a man and take them back up.

That's a bit strong. I thought that we were troubled by calling folk out as 'cowards'.

He did a great job at Bournemouth. Maybe he thought he had taken them as far as he could, who knows?

I actually think he took Bournemouth as far as they could go. The only real money generated was from TV deals so when the bad season came there was little resilience and opportunity to buy their way out of the problem.

Like others have said, Howe should take a break.  I’d imagine he will be first pick come the autumn when PL clubs start chopping and changing managers.  Porch for the top 6, Howe for everyone below that.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1188 on: August 02, 2020, 10:57:28 AM »
Poor old Eddie Howe.  Took them from the brink of collapse when they were in the bottom division, then all the way up the Premier League.  Did brilliantly, but when it got too hard for him, and the got relegated, he bailed.  Coward, yes, ok, may be a bit strong.  But I think he's done well with them and should stick around to put it right.  One bad season, and he leaves. 

Online danno

« Reply #1189 on: August 02, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »
Maybe he just doesn't fancy it?  He doesn't owe them anything. They're still better off than when he found them.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1190 on: August 02, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »
Poor old Eddie Howe.  Took them from the brink of collapse when they were in the bottom division, then all the way up the Premier League.  Did brilliantly, but when it got too hard for him, and the got relegated, he bailed.  Coward, yes, ok, may be a bit strong.  But I think he's done well with them and should stick around to put it right.  One bad season, and he leaves. 

Mutual agreement usually means sacked. The rest of what you said, you could argue about Sir Graham at Watford. 

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1191 on: August 02, 2020, 11:09:10 AM »

That's a bit strong. I thought that we were troubled by calling folk out as 'cowards'.

He did a great job at Bournemouth. Maybe he thought he had taken them as far as he could, who knows?

I actually think he took Bournemouth as far as they could go. The only real money generated was from TV deals so when the bad season came there was little resilience and opportunity to buy their way out of the problem.

Like others have said, Howe should take a break.  I’d imagine he will be first pick come the autumn when PL clubs start chopping and changing managers.  Porch for the top 6, Howe for everyone below that.
The problem for practically every team is there's a huge jump between mid table and the top 5/6 clubs. There's a handful of club's who are big enough to break in to it if their own accord - Liverpool, Manchester United, clubs who basically you have to be utterly incompetent to not have them in that group.

There's then maybe a second group, the likes of ourselves or Man City, who are reasonably big, need a bit of a financial push to get in to that group, but once in are big enough to sustain that place. Bournemouth are one of a big group below that which are only likely to break in to the group with massive funding, and would need continued massive funding to maintain a seat at that table.

The worry with Howe is that he's been a Premier League manager for a while and Bournemouth still leak goals like anything. He's not learning at that top level (unlike Smith who is adapting, it seems).

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1192 on: August 02, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »

In 2014, Bournemouth achieved what was at that point their highest ever league position of tenth in the Championship after 90 years of scrabbling around the bottom two divisions. What he's achieved there is an anomoly, he's nothing to put right.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1193 on: August 02, 2020, 11:29:44 AM »
He’s been absolutely brilliant for Bournemouth. Let’s not forget they are a standard 4th tier club and he made them punch massively above their weight. He can not resurrect them again as they slowly drift towards their natural lair.
He will probably end up at Crystal Palace when Woy walks out in October.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1194 on: August 02, 2020, 11:36:33 AM »

After 5 years of Premier League TV riches, they're still playing in a Stadium with a capacity of 11,329. That's pathetic (Walsall's Bescot Stadium is 11,300).  Wholly reliant on TV money. The Holte End is around 13,500 capacity - bigger than their whole ground!

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1195 on: August 02, 2020, 11:39:00 AM »

After 5 years of Premier League TV riches, they're still playing in a Stadium with a capacity of 11,329. That's pathetic (Walsall's Bescot Stadium is 11,300).  Wholly reliant on TV money. The Holte End is around 13,500 capacity - bigger than their whole ground!

Would you expect them to have built a 30,000 capacity stadium that they'll never fill?

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1196 on: August 02, 2020, 11:45:11 AM »

Would you expect them to have built a 30,000 capacity stadium that they'll never fill?

I don't know. Surely the wider catchment area and the fact they were PL should've increased their profile?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1197 on: August 02, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »

Mutual agreement usually means sacked. The rest of what you said, you could argue about Sir Graham at Watford.

I think in this case mutual agreement may actually be the case rather than just a load of old flannel. It has been a successful but challenging eight years for him at a club punching above their weight even at Championship level. In the relegation run him he seemed the most deflated manager down the bottom apart from Farke. In one interview a couple of weeks back he looked shell shocked and emotionally gone. I reckon his next job will be in the Championship or sometime midway through next season with a Premier league club struggling against relegation. But I also reckon he needs a decent break from football first.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1198 on: August 02, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »

I don't know. Surely the wider catchment area and the fact they were PL should've increased their profile?

Maybe if they were in the Premier League they might have sold it out most of the time, but now it would look Wiganesque if they don't come straight back.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1199 on: August 02, 2020, 12:01:34 PM »
he is in the great position of wherever he goes next will most probably be a bigger club than the one he’s just left

( I like Howe I think he a good manager)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal