collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team  (Read 31142 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2020, 12:33:11 AM »
Thought I had read before that we were keen on Roy Keane summer of '93 and ended-up with Townsend instead.

Ron would have liked him but a choice between them and us, and they win every time.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2020, 12:39:07 AM »
Townsend was pretty good, to be fair. The problem wasn't signing him. It was not signing other players of his calibre.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2020, 01:05:03 AM »
The odder one for me is the 95/6 team as we did, at least try, to strengthen that. It could be the age old Villa problem of being behind the curve. Football was changing but we still wanted to recreate the Saunders era.

The 90s, oh, what a missed opportunity they were for Villa.

Somebody said '90 was the real missed opportunity and, maybe by a shade, we looked more like champions in '90?

I was more disappointed that Brian Little's team didn't 'kick on'. Even though we finished 5th in 1996-97, at the time, it seemed somewhat disappointing after our superb season in 95-96. We were poor in the cups in 96-97.

1997-98 was really disappointing. Nothing seemed right. Little didn't seem himself that year and the performances were poor. At the time, it seemed the signing of Collymore upset things.

Overall, as others have said, on the three occasions where we had a chance to push on and  become champions ('90, '93 and '96-'97) we just didn't buy the top player(s) that would give us that edge. I often think the summer of 1997 was a real missed opportunity. I think we were a midfielder and an upgrade on Savo away from being an exceptional side. Instead we ended up with Collymore being shoe-horned into the side with Yorke and Milosevic.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2020, 05:51:19 AM »
This for sure, we stopped scoring goals and a bit of luck went against us and it all went with Manure, the day they beat Sheff Wed and I think we drew with Coventry.

Was that the day when Manure were given 9 minutes of 'Fergie' time by the referee?

It was. I don't know how we never beat Coventry that day. I remember that I was halfway back to London when the Manure game ended.

Offline Richie

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2020, 06:27:14 AM »
Frogatt was never the same player after the assault by those clogging Wimbledon wankers in the Atkinson Goal game that season.

I watched the highlights of that game the other day for first time in ages. The second Saunders goal was after a fantastic one two with Houghton. We either scored stunning solo goals that season or goals after a lovely build up. Garry Parker's opener at Sheffield United that season was fabulous, I am amazed it doesn't get mentioned more when we reminiscing about classic goals.

We definitely did score some stunners that season. For a team move, the opener against Sheffield Wednesday in the 2-0 home win is right up there with one of the best I’ve ever seen us score. We literally passed them to death and then laid it on a plate for Dwight to tap home.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2020, 09:21:06 AM »
Frogatt was never the same player after the assault by those clogging Wimbledon wankers in the Atkinson Goal game that season.

I watched the highlights of that game the other day for first time in ages. The second Saunders goal was after a fantastic one two with Houghton. We either scored stunning solo goals that season or goals after a lovely build up. Garry Parker's opener at Sheffield United that season was fabulous, I am amazed it doesn't get mentioned more when we reminiscing about classic goals.

We definitely did score some stunners that season. For a team move, the opener against Sheffield Wednesday in the 2-0 home win is right up there with one of the best I’ve ever seen us score. We literally passed them to death and then laid it on a plate for Dwight to tap home.

I still think that's the best 90 minutes I've seen from a Villa side. They were a good side and hadn't lost in ages, and we tore them to shreds, Chris Woods was outstanding for them in goal.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 10:15:50 AM »
The odder one for me is the 95/6 team as we did, at least try, to strengthen that. It could be the age old Villa problem of being behind the curve. Football was changing but we still wanted to recreate the Saunders era.

Somebody said '90 was the real missed opportunity and, maybe by a shade, we looked more like champions in '90?

I was more disappointed that Brian Little's team didn't 'kick on'. Even though we finished 5th in 1996-97, at the time, it seemed somewhat disappointing after our superb season in 95-96. We were poor in the cups in 96-97.

1997-98 was really disappointing. Nothing seemed right. Little didn't seem himself that year and the performances were poor. At the time, it seemed the signing of Collymore upset things.

Overall, as others have said, on the three occasions where we had a chance to push on and  become champions ('90, '93 and '96-'97) we just didn't buy the top player(s) that would give us that edge. I often think the summer of 1997 was a real missed opportunity. I think we were a midfielder and an upgrade on Savo away from being an exceptional side. Instead we ended up with Collymore being shoe-horned into the side with Yorke and Milosevic.

I think Brian little was going through some personal problems towards the end of his reign at Villa. I believe he went through a divorce.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2020, 10:29:28 AM »
Keane was open to the idea of moving to Villa when Clough let him first know of our interest back in Oct/Nov 92. Ultimately Clough blocked the move after losing Sheringham not long before.

Froggatt and Atkinson not getting heavy duty injuries in 92 (the former was directly responsible for many of Deano's early goals during his most prolific era for the club) and signing Keane  = we win the league that year and have a good chance of doing so again in 93/94.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2020, 12:33:41 PM »

Pretty clear reading Dwight Yorke's book that he didn't have a lot of time for Stan Collymore.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »
Keane was open to the idea of moving to Villa when Clough let him first know of our interest back in Oct/Nov 92. Ultimately Clough blocked the move after losing Sheringham not long before.

Froggatt and Atkinson not getting heavy duty injuries in 92 (the former was directly responsible for many of Deano's early goals during his most prolific era for the club) and signing Keane  = we win the league that year and have a good chance of doing so again in 93/94.

Keane had his choice of clubs at the time. He infamously shook hands with Dalglish on a deal to sign for Blackburn only to renege on it over a weekend and sign for United. Interestingly it was the only signing they made that summer. United under Edwards were fairly tight too when it came to spending. Paul McGrath when he signed for them was getting less wages than he was playing for St Pat's and working as a part time security guard.

Had Bosnich already nailed the number one spot by the end of 92/93? Maybe they weren't ready but in hindsight BFR should have shown more faith possibly in the likes of Ugo and obviously Yorke.

In later years, I seem to recall us being very close to the top in Littles first season before drifting away. The failure to sign Juninho is often pointed at as a lack of ambition but it can't be said for going all out and getting Collymore. Unfortunately he destroyed the team and Little.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »

Keane had his choice of clubs at the time. He infamously shook hands with Dalglish on a deal to sign for Blackburn only to renege on it over a weekend and sign for United. Interestingly it was the only signing they made that summer. United under Edwards were fairly tight too when it came to spending. Paul McGrath when he signed for them was getting less wages than he was playing for St Pat's and working as a part time security guard.

Had Bosnich already nailed the number one spot by the end of 92/93? Maybe they weren't ready but in hindsight BFR should have shown more faith possibly in the likes of Ugo and obviously Yorke.

In later years, I seem to recall us being very close to the top in Littles first season before drifting away. The failure to sign Juninho is often pointed at as a lack of ambition but it can't be said for going all out and getting Collymore. Unfortunately he destroyed the team and Little.

It was Blackburn and Villa interested in Oct/ Nov 92.  Man U weren't mentioned at the time. But obv the following summer with Robson a year older and featuring in less games = different story.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »

Not forgetting we signed Curcic that summer as well as Collymore. The fact both of them were suffering from depression and mental health problems shows, despite I would suggest strengthening, it actually weakened us as it unsettled the squad. It was a shame as we were getting back on track. Still good UEFA cup run in 97/98.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2020, 02:24:26 PM »
Regarding our transfer business in the summer of 93, I think at that time Townsend was considered on a par with Keane and Whittingham had scored shed loads in Div 2 season before so looked a good signing on paper. The following summer when Ron went to the world cup and came back with Fashanu was the real WTF signing.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »

Not forgetting we signed Curcic that summer as well as Collymore. The fact both of them were suffering from depression and mental health problems shows, despite I would suggest strengthening, it actually weakened us as it unsettled the squad. It was a shame as we were getting back on track. Still good UEFA cup run in 97/98.

We signd Curcic in 1996 and Collymore the summer after.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2020, 02:40:44 PM »

I think Brian little was going through some personal problems towards the end of his reign at Villa. I believe he went through a divorce.

Wasn't he having an affair with someone who was documenting it week-by-week via Dannys Baker & Kelly?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal