collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team  (Read 31102 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 08:04:44 PM »
I'm not sure the like sof Whittingham, Phil King and Fashanu were good enough to replace the players from 92/93 that needed replacing.

Townsend came in too that summer and was certainly a very good signing for the club. United signed Roy Keane though. Blackburn had signed a young Alan Shearer the season before. BFR seemed to prefer the experienced pro though.

He wanted Shearer and Le Tissier. The latter wasn't going anywhere and the former was offered 15k a week by Blackburn when we were paying 4 at most.

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2020, 08:18:01 PM »
Our strikers were never scoring thirty a season but they were decent enough. Those stats back up my theory that we never scored nearly enough goals from midfield. Also, can't remember very many set piece goals.

What happened Tony Daley's form around then? Ray Houghton was pushing on alright by then, had a brilliant game v Inter that I recall but didn't start the league cup final. Graham Fenton never really kicked on either.

Again, I don't think BFR really fancied Daley. Houghton was a bit hit & miss all the time he was here and Fenton just never made the breakthrough.
Didn't Tony Daley have a bad injury at the start of that season and only came back in around March time? It happened the previous season as well when Robson clattered him against ManUre at Villa Park early in the season. Robson went on to dive to win a penalty late in that game as well if I remember correctly.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2020, 08:19:51 PM »
BFR had excellent teams at Albion, Manure and Villa who could beat anyone on their day and he had good runs in Europe and victories in cup competitions. But third place with Albion, two third places with Manure and second place with Villa were his best top flight seasons. I must admit until I looked it up I didn't realise he had never managed a second place finish with United. 1992-1993 with Villa was his best top flight season.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2020, 08:20:16 PM »
I remember saying to my mate after a rubbish game at Maine Road that if someone really had offered a million quid (it might even have been less than that) for Dwight Yorke we should have bitten their hand off. Doh!

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
Sadly, it seems that Sir Brian was great at getting a team winning games, but when things didn't go for him, he was unable to change things. His career seemed to keep going the same way when he left Villa good start, bad run, end.
I think it fell apart when John Gregory left as assistant manager. Somehow I reckon that combination was more than the sum of it's parts.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2020, 08:22:43 PM »
Our strikers were never scoring thirty a season but they were decent enough. Those stats back up my theory that we never scored nearly enough goals from midfield. Also, can't remember very many set piece goals.

What happened Tony Daley's form around then? Ray Houghton was pushing on alright by then, had a brilliant game v Inter that I recall but didn't start the league cup final. Graham Fenton never really kicked on either.

Again, I don't think BFR really fancied Daley. Houghton was a bit hit & miss all the time he was here and Fenton just never made the breakthrough.
Didn't Tony Daley have a bad injury at the start of that season and only came back in around March time? It happened the previous season as well when Robson clattered him against ManUre at Villa Park early in the season. Robson went on to dive to win a penalty late in that game as well if I remember correctly.

The only time I can recall Tony Daley missing half a season was 1987-1988. I seem to recall Daley, Garry Thompson and Allan Evans were all out injured until November at least. Fortunately we still had Mark Walters up until around the same time Daley was fit.

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 09:01:52 PM »
I had a quick look. Tony Daley played 3 of the first 4 games and the didn't play again until the frustrating 0-0 against Spurs (when Dean Saunders underhit his shot and Edinburgh cleared it off the line) on 10th March.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »
For all the supposed flair and great football we played under Atkinson goalscoring was always pretty crap. Even in 92/93 we were only 8th highest scorers, Oldham who stayed up on GD scored more than us. I think it was 26 times we scored 0 or 1. In 91/92 we had that pathetic run of 1 goal in 11 league games. 93/94 we were 16th highest scorers, even bottom of the table Swindon scored more than us.

That's mad about 92/93. In the games we scored none or one were we still easy on the eye?

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »
No one has mentioned Steve Froggatt yet I don't think? He was fantastic up till around the New Year of 93 until his injury. He set up a fair few of Saunders goals that season and was never the same - or fancied by Ron - after his return. He was either out of favour due to Tony Daley playing or not suited to the 433 Ron played in the first half of 93-94. We were usually still very attractive to watch but there was always a car crash game such as Coventry away on Boxing Day. The poor run of results following our Wembley win in 94 showed we had taken our foot off the gas but also if you look at those games - and Ron has admitted as much in his first book - we had a frequently changed and experimental lineup for the last ten games or so. Ehiogu, Fenton, Farrell, Beinlich and Breitkreutz all came in for games at the expense of some of the older players. Ehiogu became a regular but the other four were either canned or put on the bench. Why he sold Cox and Froggatt I never could understand at the time but they were both quality. Phil King was all right but Lamptey was too young and again didnt feature much, even when Ron signed him for Coventry.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:33:57 PM by Deano's Mullet »

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2020, 09:38:32 PM »
Frogatt was never the same player after the assault by those clogging Wimbledon wankers in the Atkinson Goal game that season.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »
Frogatt was never the same player after the assault by those clogging Wimbledon wankers in the Atkinson Goal game that season.

I watched the highlights of that game the other day for first time in ages. The second Saunders goal was after a fantastic one two with Houghton. We either scored stunning solo goals that season or goals after a lovely build up. Garry Parker's opener at Sheffield United that season was fabulous, I am amazed it doesn't get mentioned more when we reminiscing about classic goals.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2020, 10:32:08 PM »
I'm not sure the like sof Whittingham, Phil King and Fashanu were good enough to replace the players from 92/93 that needed replacing.

Townsend came in too that summer and was certainly a very good signing for the club. United signed Roy Keane though. Blackburn had signed a young Alan Shearer the season before. BFR seemed to prefer the experienced pro though.

He wanted Shearer and Le Tissier. The latter wasn't going anywhere and the former was offered 15k a week by Blackburn when we were paying 4 at most.

Interesting, Ellis too mean I guess?

Would have thought we were reasonable wage payers at the time, given we signed three experienced players from Liverpool?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2020, 10:33:44 PM »

Interesting, Ellis too mean I guess?

Would have thought we were reasonable wage payers at the time, given we signed three experienced players from Liverpool?

Jack Walker came along and blew everyone else out of the water. Nobody could compete with Blackburn at that time.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2020, 10:39:23 PM »
BFR had excellent teams at Albion, Manure and Villa who could beat anyone on their day and he had good runs in Europe and victories in cup competitions. But third place with Albion, two third places with Manure and second place with Villa were his best top flight seasons. I must admit until I looked it up I didn't realise he had never managed a second place finish with United. 1992-1993 with Villa was his best top flight season.

Didn't they blow up league winning chances under BFR too? United fans would put a lot of it down to Atkinson not enforcing discipline with his players off the pitch, particularly his best three McGrath, Robson and Whiteside.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2020, 12:31:40 AM »
Thought I had read before that we were keen on Roy Keane summer of '93 and ended-up with Townsend instead.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal