collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45690 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Next manager
« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2020, 10:52:38 PM »
Howe appears shell shocked at best and broken at worst at the moment. He needs a break from football in my opinion. Even if he the right man (and I don't think he is) it would be the wrong time anyway.

Whilst I like and rate him I'd agree with this. I think we need a no nonsense manager like Dyche to shake things up a bit as we seem moribund. If we have persuaded him to leave Burnley to comes to us already then I'd have to tip my hat to Purslow and the board.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2020, 10:54:44 PM »
Howard Hodgson has money, as does Daniel Craig. I know who stands a better chance of getting off with Halle Berry.

Well she's obviously going to go for the ginger haired guy although given her mum's a Scouser it might be less of a novelty.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #332 on: July 11, 2020, 10:55:15 PM »
Get Dyche, make a statement and for fucks sake give him the DoF he wants and let’s build something decent.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #333 on: July 12, 2020, 12:21:11 AM »
Going to Belgium  league does currently seem to be our solution of choice. Could see the current hierarchy going to the Duplo league for a potential next manager of choice. Justification may be that they’re working with players they’re familiar with.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #334 on: July 12, 2020, 12:23:53 AM »
Getting the DOF the manager/ head coach wants is the tail wagging the dog.

Part of the reason for getting Suso was to avoid the churn and complete rebuilding job needed every time we change manager.

Suso should walk because of our dismal business last summer. But it's still better having a DOF and not entrusting the family silver to a guy who could be gone in 6-12 months.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #335 on: July 12, 2020, 03:04:50 AM »
I know this view is unpopular, but Smith is a proven Championship manager. I’d give him next season to get us back and then bin him either way. Was previously thinking I’d give him another crack at the Prem if he can get us back there, but not anymore. I’d prefer him to resign than be sacked, but I doubt he will. 4 year deal, why would you?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:27:25 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #336 on: July 12, 2020, 04:42:29 AM »
What is he proven at? I don’t want to suggest he’s useless at that level because that’s unfair. But it’s wrong to state that prior to Jack coming back we were never getting into the playoffs. Our form was dreadful at times. And Brentford have improved after he’s left. Keeping him now would be a huge mistake.

Online Three Spires Villa

« Reply #337 on: July 12, 2020, 05:38:48 AM »
I know this view is unpopular, but Smith is a proven Championship manager. I’d give him next season to get us back and then bin him either way. Was previously thinking I’d give him another crack at the Prem if he can get us back there, but not anymore. I’d prefer him to resign than be sacked, but I doubt he will. 4 year deal, why would you?

Hey Robbo, only an opinion and fair play. Personally I would be worried about Dean back in the championship. Some terms get thrown around in football, such as “club too big” now I’m not saying this is the case, however after this season the pressure to succeed will be enormous for Dean. Could he handle it? His record in the championship is not that great, granted with Brentford (who might come up) but apart from beating us, and making Brentford into a solid championship outfit, that’s it. I feel sorry for Dean, but as head coach he, and not just him, has failed.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #338 on: July 12, 2020, 05:49:35 AM »

I have sympathy with this argument.

A few weeks back I was leaning towards binning him if we stay up (our shortcomings this season have been there for all to see) but sticking with him if we did go down.  Knows that division, had us and Brentford playing decent football in it.

But ultimately I can't shake the logic that if you're the manager/ head coach responsible for Aston Villa being relegated you should walk the plank.

This isn't a Burnley/WBA/ Norwich-style two-bob outfit where relegation is an occupational hazard and should be accepted with good grace.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #339 on: July 12, 2020, 06:09:05 AM »
We need someone whose going to take this club and playing group by the scruff of the neck. Instil standards that are a minimum expectation for a club of our stature and don’t let those standards drop, develop a specific culture around the club with a clear vision for both the short and long term goals.

This ain’t going to be Dean Smith.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2020, 06:23:16 AM »
I think stick with Dean tbh. He knows the squad and where it went wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. He is also a good manager at that level.

I'd say we've got a group that'd do OK in the Championship and probably finish around the play-offs. If we can add 3-4 experienced heads and a Jack replacement we should be in the promotion mix.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »
If he knows the squad and where we are going wrong why are we playing such shit football. Before Grealish came back in we were more likely to be relegated to the third than promotion. No thanks he had his chance.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2020, 07:42:40 AM »
precisely nobody should be rewarded for failure on this scale.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #343 on: July 12, 2020, 07:49:16 AM »

A few weeks back I was leaning towards binning him if we stay up (our shortcomings this season have been there for all to see) but sticking with him if we did go down.  Knows that division, had us and Brentford playing decent football in it.

But ultimately I can't shake the logic that if you're the manager/ head coach responsible for Aston Villa being relegated you should walk the plank.

This isn't a Burnley/WBA/ Norwich-style two-bob outfit where relegation is an occupational hazard and should be accepted with good grace.

I’ve pretty much been off the camp to keep him no matter what, all season for all the reasons stated. I also think he’s had some cards stacked against him with some of the signings which probably weren’t his (Trez, Nakamba, the January signings). I’ve also said all season if we finish 17th we’ve achieved the objective and that can be considered relative successive, however unlikely that looks at the moment, it is still achievable....just.
However, since just before lockdown, he’s looked a bit lost and the ridgidity post lockdown, sticking with some of the same players that stink the place out, but more its the same patterns of play, reactive substitutions at virtually the same time each game. The
 Unwillingness in the face of now pretty much certain relegation to do anything different, e.g. give Vassilev a go from the start, put a couple of kids (Archer and Barrie) on the bench. All of this makes me think now sadly and with a heavy heart after last years success, if and when we go down in this fashion, without the required fight and passion from the players, which they need to own but should be instilled by the manager/coach and tactical nous and bravery from the manager/coach, then he should go once the inevitable is confirmed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 07:53:07 AM by RamboandBruno »

Offline Luke8

« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2020, 08:40:42 AM »

I wouldn’t want to play us down either and appreciate that ‘We are Aston Villa’, but on the other hand, it’s coming up for ten seasons since we even finished in the top half of this league.

It isn’t a case of simply accepting relegation but understanding there are several mitigating circumstances to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal