collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45582 times)

Offline Big Ming

Re: Next manager
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »
Phil Neville about to become "available".

He has experience of managing a bunch of panicky ladies.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2020, 11:40:58 AM »
I bet he has

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2020, 12:29:04 PM »
If you want a real 'outside the box' shout how about Stevie G?

Miles behind Neil Lennon's Celtic! Let that sink in

Offline Damo70

« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2020, 02:47:54 PM »
I reckon Big Sam would accept an eighteen month to two year contract. I think he fancies a crack at managing us and clearly misses management. Plan A keep us up, plan B get us back up.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »

Second in a two horse race.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2020, 03:24:53 PM »

Second in a two horse race.

We hired McLeish who once came third in that two horse race!

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »
I reckon Big Sam would accept an eighteen month to two year contract. I think he fancies a crack at managing us and clearly misses management. Plan A keep us up, plan B get us back up.

I’d rather catch Coronavirus

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2020, 03:35:27 PM »

You'd have BS in the Championship ahead of Farke?  Strange.

I can see the argument for having him till the end of the season and even the season after if we stay up but absolutely no way should we be considering him if we're in the Championship.  We don't have to sacrifice playing football in that league and once down, it would be time to start the rebuild, not continue with the quick fix.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
The only circumstances I would find Bsam acceptable is a 9 game contract.
Come in , try and keep us up, fuck off with a very large Cheque.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2020, 04:52:36 PM »
The only circumstances I would find Bsam acceptable is a 9 game contract.
Come in , try and keep us up, fuck off with a very large Cheque.

Absolutely - No way on this earth do we need to resort to him in the Championship where most teams play football these days.  Bruce was bad enough but BS?

That said, if he did keep us up, I wouldn't be overly upset if he stayed for the following season, just to steady things and build a bse.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
Our great white hope is a man who has been roundly criticised on here for being a dinosaur, plays apparently hideous football and was last seen in a brown envelope sting. Not good enough for the Championship but give him another year if he keeps us in the top flight.

Still, if it's short term you want, as in eight managers in ten years, what's Harry Bassett doing?

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »
Our great white hope is a man who has been roundly criticised on here for being a dinosaur, plays apparently hideous football and was last seen in a brown envelope sting. Not good enough for the Championship but give him another year if he keeps us in the top flight.

Still, if it's short term you want, as in eight managers in ten years, what's Harry Bassett doing?

I don't think anyone said he's not good enough for the Championship - More that if we drop, there is no need for such desperation (sacrificing good football)

Give me short term all day long if it keeps us in the division - That is the only thing I'm concerned about right now.

You don't plan long term when you're hanging from a very thin string at the bottom of the PL with 10 games left - There's a time and place for everything.

8 shit managers in 10 years - People need to wake up and smell the coffee.  There isn't any up and coming super manager out there, waiting in the wings for Aston Villa to come knocking.  The harsh reality is that at some point in the not too distant future, it will be 9 (shit) managers in X years.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:42:04 PM by Brassneck »

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2020, 08:16:50 PM »
We have no idea if there's the right up and coming, down and falling or dull and boring manager out there who'd work for us, and Allardyce has about the same win ratio over his career as Dean Smith does. What I find amazing is how we forget everything we've ever said about Allardyce and hope it's some sort of infallible magic that has seen him keep sides up. Appointing him now is as much of a risk as keeping Smith or grabbing A.N. Other. Our thinking at the moment would have seen Saunders ditched in 76 and Taylor in 89. Granted, it wouldn't have seen us hold on to Lambert for so long, but the point stands.

There's a habit at Villa - and maybe other clubs if I was interested enough to look - every time we face peril of looking 5-10 years back at who was any good and convincing ourselves they are the answer.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2020, 08:35:57 PM »
We have no idea if there's the right up and coming, down and falling or dull and boring manager out there who'd work for us, and Allardyce has about the same win ratio over his career as Dean Smith does. What I find amazing is how we forget everything we've ever said about Allardyce and hope it's some sort of infallible magic that has seen him keep sides up. Appointing him now is as much of a risk as keeping Smith or grabbing A.N. Other. Our thinking at the moment would have seen Saunders ditched in 76 and Taylor in 89. Granted, it wouldn't have seen us hold on to Lambert for so long, but the point stands.

There's a habit at Villa - and maybe other clubs if I was interested enough to look - every time we face peril of looking 5-10 years back at who was any good and convincing ourselves they are the answer.
https://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/Themes/HandV%20Theme2/images/bbc/sup.gif
Everybody is waiting for the right up and coming manager - 99% of the time it ends in disappointment (see our last 8).

3 months ago, I was saying the same things about Allerdyce.  Now I'm desperate.  Allerdyce has managed to achieve what we're hoping to do on more than one occasion.  it is many, many times less of a risk than keeping Smith who can't even get the team to compete with the opposition.

It's nothing to do with looking back - It is simply who is the best (realistic) man to keep us up over the next 10 games.  Smith is a non-starter, his boat has sailed.  Allerdyce gives us a chance.  Smith is supposed to be the epitome of open attacking football.  How many are enjoying it?  I'd sooner see a boring 0-0 than a 4-0 walkover like we saw on Monday.  Let's start competing before we worry about the standard of football.

The performances (since Leicester at home) have been on a par with 2015-16 as the worst we've seen.  Far worse than the Saunders or SGT blips.  We're at crisis point without an abundance of candidates tripping over themselves to come and manage Villa.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »
I’d hate for us to appoint Sam Allardyce, I really would.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal