collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45563 times)

Offline Big Ming

Re: Next manager
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »
As an outside the box shout, I've been very impressed with Daniel Farke for a couple of years now - I wonder how he'd have fared with the budget we had?

Short term, it's get to the summer intact and that would mean Big Sam for me.  I wouldn't be adverse to him the following season either, if it meant stability in the Prem.  2 seasons in, as a more established club, we could then look at bringing the next bloke in for the next phase.
Well impressed with Wagner too, before Huddersfield also failed on the 'quality' front.

Remember when he was the new Klopp.

Offline supertom

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2020, 04:26:33 PM »
A hex on that cup run. A hex on Klopp for not putting a better side out to knock us out back then. It ended up being a waste and ultimately it'll be what puts us down because that cup final bought Smith time. I think had we gone earlier, he'd have been sacked in January, maybe December.

We're now at pretty much last chance saloon. 10 games (9, because Smith will still be here saturday) is too tall an order I think. If we're gonna get in a new manager, we need to do it immediately. But really, this should have been done 2 months ago, when it was quite clear Smith was out of his depth.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »
Pretty much what I have been saying for some time. If we do go down the cost of Denos' day at Wembley will have come at some price.

Offline devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
A hex on that cup run. A hex on Klopp for not putting a better side out to knock us out back then. It ended up being a waste and ultimately it'll be what puts us down because that cup final bought Smith time. I think had we gone earlier, he'd have been sacked in January, maybe December.

We're now at pretty much last chance saloon. 10 games (9, because Smith will still be here saturday) is too tall an order I think. If we're gonna get in a new manager, we need to do it immediately. But really, this should have been done 2 months ago, when it was quite clear Smith was out of his depth.

My sentiments exactly.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2020, 05:00:05 PM »
Agree, I said it was an unwelcome distraction and so it proved.
The time was after Saints at home or Watford away though.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »
Farke is a great shout, however if we ended up with him I'd like a ban on that awful Farke Life song that they sing at Naaarich

How is Farke a great shout? I don't care if he had a far smaller summer transfer budget than Smith, it is crazy to suggest sacking statistically the second worst manager in the Premier League this season and replace him with the worst.

Online nigel

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
If you want a real 'outside the box' shout how about Stevie G?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2020, 06:05:05 PM »
Pretty much what I have been saying for some time. If we do go down the cost of Denos' day at Wembley will have come at some price.

What do you mean by 'Deano' s Day' at Wembley?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2020, 06:08:56 PM »

That's not outside the box. The initial contact may be, but then he'd throw himself into the area and get given the penalty.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2020, 06:17:49 PM »
Farke is a great shout, however if we ended up with him I'd like a ban on that awful Farke Life song that they sing at Naaarich

How is Farke a great shout? I don't care if he had a far smaller summer transfer budget than Smith, it is crazy to suggest sacking statistically the second worst manager in the Premier League this season and replace him with the worst.

He isn’t statistically the worst just because his team are bottom.

There aren’t any stand out targets that would come here.  Allerdyce is short term.

He isn’t realistic at present any how so isn’t in the running.  However, is probably the type we’d be looking at if we go down.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2020, 06:31:32 PM »

I agree.  It would be just another 'close your eyes and pray' appointment.

Online RichardBatchelor

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2020, 06:35:06 PM »

I’d like that one day - but now ain’t the time.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2020, 06:36:02 PM »

If we go down, every appointment will be close your eyes and hope.

Smith was the stand out people’s choice last time around and look at the state of play 18 months later.  We’re playing with less heart than when remi garde was manager.

Whoever we appoint will be a step into the unknown.

Online RichardBatchelor

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2020, 06:40:28 PM »

Bad as we have been I’m not sure we’re playing with less heart than Garde’s Villa. Is that even possible? But that’s the hyperbole that comes with intense disappointment and I understand why you say it

Smith was the stand out people’s choice last time around and look at the state of play 18 months later.  We’re playing with less heart than when remi garde was manager.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2020, 06:43:12 PM »

In the sense that any change is a risk you're spot on but there are big risks and lesser risks.  I think Farke would be a big risk.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal