collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746952 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #1155 on: March 20, 2020, 07:00:56 AM »
That class of '92 lot are annoyingly likeable.
Gary Neville consistently comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke. Got a lot of time for the chap.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1156 on: March 20, 2020, 07:05:04 AM »
As others have said thank god for Dr Gary Neville and Professor Wayne Rooney - whose knowledge of the subject is world renown - clowns!

Personally I think Boris is saying what he is being advised to say by the scientists, thankfully we do not have that Idiot Corbyn in charge, if he told me it was raining I would look out the window and check.

With regards to Villa - we only have to play Sheffield United and then we will have played the same number of games as teams who are in the relegation zone - could we not just have a one off game against them? I fear if no further games are played by 30th June then we will be relegated (and in truth we deserve to be as we have been so poor for large parts of the season)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1157 on: March 20, 2020, 07:06:26 AM »
A few reports that the PL TV contract has clauses that would mean a repayment of £760m to Sky if the season remains unfinished.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1158 on: March 20, 2020, 07:16:44 AM »
I'm not surprised by this announcement, its basically what they had to commit too from both a legal and an integrity stand point.

I still have a strong suspicion that 30th June is the date where by things will change should the PL games not be completed by then. Once the contracts begin the expire around players, kits, next season etc it'll start to get very messy very quickly. UEFA saying they want all leagues completed by 30 June also gives them an out should enough clubs wish to take it.

Up till then they should be doing their best to carry on (which they clearly can't at present). On the football playing side, I still think we've got more than enough to stay up as this break works better for us than any other club down there, we really needed the time out to reset more than anyone. 

My hunch is still that unless we can get things going again by mid May it'll be off.

This is more or less where I am.

The league & clubs stand to lose around 25% of their TV money so if there is a way of getting those games played, they will play them.

I worry about behind closed doors as I don't think that's fair and given we would have to play one more home game than others that way, I would hope that we would argue against it.

If there is a chance of getting next season underway, then that will take priority.

My only thought is that they could delay it a month and scrap the cups (which would bring in less revenue than 25% of league fixtures).  Even then, it couldn't go much past June 30th.  Play offs would have to be allowed 2 weeks.  Then we have the FA Cup - What would you do with that?  Teams like Newcastle would want to continue.  The CL would certainly continue if possible, meaning Man City would have even more games.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1159 on: March 20, 2020, 07:22:15 AM »
A few reports that the PL TV contract has clauses that would mean a repayment of £760m to Sky if the season remains unfinished.

It would be around 25% of the entire season.  Not sure how much the total is.

Given that we spent around £130 million, assuming that was our TV money,  times that by 20 and your figure doesn't seem too far out.  It's an absolutely frightening amount of money.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1160 on: March 20, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »
Most informed people in the media are now saying that 12 weeks is the minimum time from now where the virus might start to be in retreat and possibly another 12 weeks before it has been substantially 'tamed'. So, sometime between the end of June and the end of September football might be in a position to resume.
The question will be: what the appetite will be for season 2019-20 completion vs. season 2020-21 commencement.
The TV Companies will have a view on that, as will EUFA (the latter's opinion will be governed by the progress of the virus elsewhere in Europe, and the balance of the Euros in 2021 vs. qualification for the 2022 World Cup).

Lots of variables.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1161 on: March 20, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
I'm not surprised by this announcement, its basically what they had to commit too from both a legal and an integrity stand point.

I still have a strong suspicion that 30th June is the date where by things will change should the PL games not be completed by then. Once the contracts begin the expire around players, kits, next season etc it'll start to get very messy very quickly. UEFA saying they want all leagues completed by 30 June also gives them an out should enough clubs wish to take it.

Up till then they should be doing their best to carry on (which they clearly can't at present). On the football playing side, I still think we've got more than enough to stay up as this break works better for us than any other club down there, we really needed the time out to reset more than anyone. 

My hunch is still that unless we can get things going again by mid May it'll be off.

The league & clubs stand to lose around 25% of their TV money so if there is a way of getting those games played, they will play them.

I worry about behind closed doors as I don't think that's fair and given we would have to play one more home game than others that way, I would hope that we would argue against it.

If there is a chance of getting next season underway, then that will take priority.

My only thought is that they could delay it a month and scrap the cups (which would bring in less revenue than 25% of league fixtures).  Even then, it couldn't go much past June 30th.  Play offs would have to be allowed 2 weeks.  Then we have the FA Cup - What would you do with that?  Teams like Newcastle would want to continue.  The CL would certainly continue if possible, meaning Man City would have even more games.
My sense is they'd rather sacrifice next season and get this season finished, whatever the cost and timescale.  It seems crazy to me, but I'm convinced that's the way they're leaning.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1162 on: March 20, 2020, 08:49:07 AM »

My sense is they'd rather sacrifice next season and get this season finished, whatever the cost and timescale.  It seems crazy to me, but I'm convinced that's the way they're leaning.

I think they're pinning their hopes on behind closed doors games with the red button facility on Sky & BT.  I'm set against it because of the disadvantage it places on ourselves.

I haven't read anything that makes me think they are putting next season ahead of this one.  They are just announcing the only things that are realistically possible (ie suspending games).

The big issue is the amount of TV money that they stand to lose.  I've just read that this season was a record due to added investment from overseas channels.  One solution would be to reduce payments over the next 3 years in order to allow for what was lost (by TV companies) this season.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1163 on: March 20, 2020, 09:17:51 AM »

Anyone would think the decision is based upon money as opposed to the integrity of the season.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1164 on: March 20, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »

Anyone would think the decision is based upon money as opposed to the integrity of the season.

If there was any integrity, there wouldn't be such a mad panic to get games completed at all costs.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1165 on: March 20, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »
I can confirm Connor Hourihane is keeping fit. He’s jogged past me this morning as I walked back from the kids school. 3rd time I’ve seen him this week. He must be getting bored.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1166 on: March 20, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »

It is. That’s a fact now. It was widely reported yesterday that that is now the plan.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1167 on: March 20, 2020, 10:04:54 AM »
I can confirm Connor Hourihane is keeping fit. He’s jogged past me this morning as I walked back from the kids school. 3rd time I’ve seen him this week. He must be getting bored.

He was sprinting, it just looks like jogging by everyone else's standards.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1168 on: March 20, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »
In order to provide clarity and to assist with immediate and longer term planning, the Rugby Football Union is announcing the end of the 2019/20 rugby season for all league, cup and county rugby in England.  The only exception to this is the Gallagher Premiership, who we are in active discussions with to review possible best next steps.

Sorry this is from the RFU above. My cutting and pasting on a phone is shocking so apologies.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1169 on: March 20, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
That class of '92 lot are annoyingly likeable.

I'd say only Neville is alright.

Odd that Giggs doesn't get half the stick Terry did for an extra-marital affair. Cheating with your brother's missus arguably a lot more despicable than with a team-mate's partner.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal