collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746559 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #1140 on: March 19, 2020, 02:46:00 PM »
This is very bad timing from the football governing bodies. People are dying they shouldn't even be speculating about when we can start playing football again. It's a full contact sport and passing on a virus among players would be catastrophic. The only responsible words from them right now would be to advise everyone to follow guidelines, keep safe and  "we will address all outstanding football related  issues when we are told by the authorities that it's safe to do so"

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1141 on: March 19, 2020, 03:28:26 PM »
This is very bad timing from the football governing bodies. People are dying they shouldn't even be speculating about when we can start playing football again. It's a full contact sport and passing on a virus among players would be catastrophic. The only responsible words from them right now would be to advise everyone to follow guidelines, keep safe and  "we will address all outstanding football related  issues when we are told by the authorities that it's safe to do so"

They'll let us play then, as none of our players get within 6 feet of the oppositions.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1142 on: March 19, 2020, 04:10:09 PM »
2019-20 season to be extended indefinitely so we are going to have to finish our games no matter what
'indefinitely' is their current position. These things usually do not come to pass, since other factors will come into play (EUFA's view on European tournaments, FIFA's view on contract-extensions, the length of the peak of the virus in different territories, etc).

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #1143 on: March 19, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »
Supposedly some existing drugs have been initially tested as effective against covid-19 - ones for HIV and malaria. An Australian doctor has had decent findings so they are going to clinical trials. Maybe there's some hope.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1144 on: March 19, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »

They'll let us play then, as none of our players get within 6 feet of the oppositions.
C'mon don't be so defeatist. UTV

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1145 on: March 19, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »
I don’t think this decision means that much and is probably the only logical decision they can take at this time.
The discussions with FIFA UEFA the Sponsors and  Governments  will be ongoing and having to take into account the situation with the Virus.

If I was in government right now, and a football association came up to me about this, I don't think I'd stop laughing for a week.
I get your sentiment but it is multi billion industry that generates a lot of revenue and employment. That is before you take into account public morale and the need to at some point get back to some sort of normality.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1146 on: March 19, 2020, 10:37:03 PM »
Liverpool fan gloating to me that villa going down.

Void the damned league.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1147 on: March 19, 2020, 10:48:26 PM »
Gary Neville on sky sports:
“In moments of crisis the real leaders stand up and make tough decisions, which sometimes go against the grain of essentially what’s happening,”

“The government at that time [the beginning of the pandemic], through Boris Johnson, were essentially zig-zagging all over the place with their messages.

“Even today he’s talked about ‘let’s protect each other.’ I watched his address earlier on and he talked about self-isolating, protect yourself and each other, be resilient on this, but he’s not shut clubs, bars, restaurants, pubs – schools aren’t closing until tomorrow evening.”

“The messages are so conflicting from the government and, to be fair, economically driven at times, I have to say.”

"I felt the Premier League saying that the games would continue for another weekend was almost ‘winging it’ to try and get another round in,”

“I understand the complexities of it, but I do feel decisive leadership is important...Every time I see the chief medical officer [Chris Whitty] stood next to Boris Johnson, he looks more and more uncomfortable.

“He did explain his strategy with the prime minister present, and then was challenged by 200 other scientists over the weekend and then Matt Hancock on a Sunday programme suggested they weren’t going to pursue that strategy.

“Ultimately, I’m not a scientist, but you have to have consistency of message and decisive leadership."

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1148 on: March 19, 2020, 10:54:20 PM »
Thank god we have Gary Neville as our political and science expert. Forget the Chief Medical officer and the Chief Science officer, we have Neville and Rooney.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1149 on: March 19, 2020, 10:58:56 PM »
Talking a lot more sense than the actual Prime Minister.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1150 on: March 19, 2020, 11:01:56 PM »
That class of '92 lot are annoyingly likeable.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1151 on: March 20, 2020, 12:10:15 AM »
All signs at the moment are pointing to an effort to finish the season.  Not quite sure how it is going to be done, especially with the Euros now scheduled for next summer. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1152 on: March 20, 2020, 12:36:20 AM »

I'd say only Neville is alright.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1153 on: March 20, 2020, 12:37:39 AM »

I'd say only Neville is alright.

At a push.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1154 on: March 20, 2020, 06:48:59 AM »
I'm not surprised by this announcement, its basically what they had to commit too from both a legal and an integrity stand point.

I still have a strong suspicion that 30th June is the date where by things will change should the PL games not be completed by then. Once the contracts begin the expire around players, kits, next season etc it'll start to get very messy very quickly. UEFA saying they want all leagues completed by 30 June also gives them an out should enough clubs wish to take it.

Up till then they should be doing their best to carry on (which they clearly can't at present). On the football playing side, I still think we've got more than enough to stay up as this break works better for us than any other club down there, we really needed the time out to reset more than anyone. 

My hunch is still that unless we can get things going again by mid May it'll be off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal