collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 03:20:13 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:12:26 PM]

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 03:20:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:12:26 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:08:28 PM]

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:04:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:01:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 757632 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #1185 on: March 20, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
Will there be any sort of insurance cover for loss of revenue?

I think we only had Third Party, Fire and Theft cover

Cheers Chico.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1186 on: March 20, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
Could this be the moment the premiership gravy train stops and wages are cut ?

Have been thinking that.

My wife and I have been watching old reviews of the 90s seasons (she isn't into football) and she kept saying 'it seemed like it was more fun back then?'.

Maybe the game will come back down to earth-maybe it will level up the playing field.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1187 on: March 20, 2020, 03:50:24 PM »
Most informed people in the media are now saying that 12 weeks is the minimum time from now where the virus might start to be in retreat and possibly another 12 weeks before it has been substantially 'tamed'. So, sometime between the end of June and the end of September football might be in a position to resume.
The question will be: what will the appetite be for season 2019-20 completion vs. season 2020-21 commencement.
The TV Companies will have a view on that, as will EUFA (the latter's opinion will be governed by the progress of the virus elsewhere in Europe, and the balance of the Euros in 2021 vs. qualification for the 2022 World Cup).

Lots of variables.
I really meant in terms of the financial pros and cons of completing this season and not curtailing the next. Financially, I would imagine starting the new season and maximising the revenue during 2020-21 would be a better option than trying to complete this season and then going off half-cocked into the next.The issue - and this really is the issue, I think - is the management of all the TV companies and sponsors in respect of funds committed and responsibilities discharged.

This is why I don't think the decision to complete the current season however long it takes is driven by money.  I honestly feel the people pushing for us to finish the season, even at the cost of next season if needs be, are doing it for reasons of integrity.  I wish they wouldn't. but that seems to be the overall sentiment at the moment.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #1188 on: March 20, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »

My wife and I have been watching old reviews of the 90s seasons (she isn't into football) and she kept saying 'it seemed like it was more fun back then?'.

To be fair, we were much better then.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1189 on: March 20, 2020, 04:28:28 PM »
Most informed people in the media are now saying that 12 weeks is the minimum time from now where the virus might start to be in retreat and possibly another 12 weeks before it has been substantially 'tamed'. So, sometime between the end of June and the end of September football might be in a position to resume.
The question will be: what will the appetite be for season 2019-20 completion vs. season 2020-21 commencement.
The TV Companies will have a view on that, as will EUFA (the latter's opinion will be governed by the progress of the virus elsewhere in Europe, and the balance of the Euros in 2021 vs. qualification for the 2022 World Cup).

Lots of variables.
I really meant in terms of the financial pros and cons of completing this season and not curtailing the next. Financially, I would imagine starting the new season and maximising the revenue during 2020-21 would be a better option than trying to complete this season and then going off half-cocked into the next.The issue - and this really is the issue, I think - is the management of all the TV companies and sponsors in respect of funds committed and responsibilities discharged.

This is why I don't think the decision to complete the current season however long it takes is driven by money.  I honestly feel the people pushing for us to finish the season, even at the cost of next season if needs be, are doing it for reasons of integrity.  I wish they wouldn't. but that seems to be the overall sentiment at the moment.

There is nobody pushing us to finish.  The decision will be made by way of a vote from the 20 PL clubs.  West Ham have already stated that they would like the season to be voided.  Brighton have said something similar in a roundabout way.

Do you think Norwich are going to vote to finish out of some desire to maintain integrity?

Offline pelty

« Reply #1190 on: March 20, 2020, 04:46:35 PM »
What are the possible scenarios being bandied about? My assumption has been that it is one of
A) completing the present season at some point so as to ensure the integrity of the game (which, I gather, is the option the FA are leaning toward).

B) Resetting the season with the present teams since it would be harsh to send teams down without having the full slate of games to earn their relegation (my "wishful thinking" scenario)

C) Declaring the season over and relegating the bottom three and declaring LFC champions (this would be very difficult to stomach given our present position, but I could see it as one of those "too bad, so sad" moments).

Am I missing any others? Have you heard anything other than A) being seriously discussed? I feel like I am just getting dribs and drabs of information over here. I imagine this all has been discussed somewhere in this thread, but I did not want to wade through 83 pages, so please forgive me for the repetition. Thanks.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1191 on: March 20, 2020, 04:49:58 PM »
I think A) is the intention however unlikely it might be, B) is what would suit us and C) would be unfair given the game in hand issue.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1192 on: March 20, 2020, 04:52:36 PM »
Boris Johnson daily news briefing scheduled at around 502pm
Rishi Sunak Chancellor of the Exchequer will also be appearing .

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1193 on: March 20, 2020, 04:58:34 PM »

There is a general Covid-19 thread over in Off Topic for non Villa-related matters.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1194 on: March 20, 2020, 05:04:41 PM »

There is a general Covid-19 thread over in Off Topic for non Villa-related matters.
Ok it's on now

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1195 on: March 20, 2020, 05:07:48 PM »
I think A) is the intention however unlikely it might be, B) is what would suit us and C) would be unfair given the game in hand issue.

C would be unfair right up to the last game if it was mathematically possible that any team could avoid the drop. Liverpool being awarded the league is one thing.  What then for all the European places?  Law suits a plenty if C is the option.
B is the only solution in the present format.

European places is a reset also.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #1196 on: March 20, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »
The Villa defence has been social distancing from opposition attacks all season - no change

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1197 on: March 20, 2020, 05:29:32 PM »
The longer this goes on the more I think the season will just be scrapped and they will be hoping to start afresh in August.

Offline pelty

« Reply #1198 on: March 20, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »

B is the only solution in the present format.

I hope you are right!

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1199 on: March 20, 2020, 05:57:26 PM »
Sky Sports News headline popped up on my fruit based device indicating European leagues would restart in mid-may.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal