collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread  (Read 44819 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 02, 2020, 06:06:33 PM »
The only thing wrong with that tackle IMO is that it was two-footed.

His technique is great otherwise - his studs aren't showing at all, he's not come in high, in fact he's grounded himself brilliantly.
I actually think that was a great tackle.
yep, It was a brilliant tackle.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #301 on: March 02, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
Good write up here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/mar/01/aston-villa-take-seat-at-top-table-but-leave-with-worry-theyll-never-belong

Good piece. I grew up with us as a major club. And, to be fair, we have been in four major finals since 2000. Still, it is sickening to see how the game has evolved since 1996 and how we have been passed out by clubs that were way below us.

We simply need to sign better players. Within three years of being taken over Man. City had signed Robinho, Aguero, Yaya Toure, Tevez, Adebayor, Gareth Barry, Milner, Shay Given and many more that I've forgotten.

Some were flops but one is still there scoring in cup finals and generally those signings made worldwide headlines and Man. City a very attractive team to sign for.

When you look at our 11 yesterday who had experienced of winning a major cup final? Can only think of Reina who didn't play.

It's disappointing when I see Purslow admitting even this summer we couldn't spend to sign players on the wages of what Brighton are signing. That's a team who could get relegated with us.

Different times but in the 90s our team was stacked with top international players like Bozzy, Townsend, Southgate, Savo, Yorke etc. Even more in the 94 class and again the team that made the 2000 final was also of that ilk, the tactics were just too negative on the day as we know.

Hopefully we'll learn our lesson. Next time we spend 100m + get in two-three major players for about 70m to get people to sit up and take notice and then you plug the gap with experienced frees and loans to beef up the squad.

Yes, but Man Citeh spent ridiculous amounts of money in the early days without the restrictions of FFP. We could've done the same, but we're hampered by FFP; ironically created first by Chelsea and then Citeh. Pity our owners didn’t takeover in 2010....

The pity was we had a muppet in MON who when we were spending loads wasted it on bog average players mainly as the idea of buying from outside the UK ( Bar Guzan and Salifou) an completely alien concept.Which he doubled up on by then giving them extortionate wages that left us hamstrung for years....

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #302 on: March 02, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »

I think it'd have gone the other way, if we'd pressed that hard from the start we'd have taken a battering because their game is based around bringing defenders onto them and then exploiting the space. Holding our ground and not letting them find the gaps was the right idea, but we also needed to deal with Foden and sterling staying wide, it was that failure that led to both of their goals (albeit indirectly for the 2nd, it was an overlap with Jack chasing back that led to the 'corner').

It is something that I have noticed nearly all the time, the full backs tuck in alongside the centre backs leaving acres of space out wide.  This allows good teams to keep men out wide and then have plenty of time to get crosses in. With the quality that these teams possess it is a dangerous tactic IMO as the delivery is usually spot on and causes mega problems in the centre of the goal area.
The other tactic that the commentators picked up on was Mings standing like a telegraph pole in centre of the 6 yard box for corners, not marking anyone nor making any attempt to meet the incoming corner.  As one of our best headers/defenders it seemed a completely illogical tactic.
But if we had asked our full backs to play wider I feel sure City would have found it easier to by pass the centre backs. It’s so difficult trying to stop them. I thought some of their passing and ball control was outstanding, definitely a level above nearly every other team in Europe.
I can see them winning the Champions League this year (unless Stones plays).
[/quote]

Been thinking today if there was anything we could have done differently in terms of tactics.  I've seen a number of teams do it to us this season, where they know our lone front man is pretty isolated, so can go to just 2 at the back. 

From the top tier yesterday, it looked like Manchester City were almost in a 2-5-3 formation when they had the ball.  Their quality and comfort in possession means the three in midfield can rotate freely as they know they aren't going to lose the ball too often. 

The one change I would have made yesterday would have been to go to a 3-5-2 when Davis came on in the latter stages and at least given them something to think about with two up top. 

Offline kieron

« Reply #303 on: March 02, 2020, 06:36:40 PM »
I fucking hate the trainer shoes they chose for the suits. That is all.

I'm not arsed about the trainer-come-shoes. The absolute faux pas is this new fangled 'fashion' of blokes wearing no socks with shoes. They should be immediately castrated.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #304 on: March 02, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
It was all my fault we lost. The first pint I ordered was a Blue Moon, and then I realised what I’d done.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #305 on: March 02, 2020, 06:48:22 PM »
I fucking hate the trainer shoes they chose for the suits. That is all.

I'm not arsed about the trainer-come-shoes. The absolute faux pas is this new fangled 'fashion' of blokes wearing no socks with shoes. They should be immediately castrated.

maybe they were wearing those tiny teeny little ankle socks that you can’t see

they are all the rage apparently

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #306 on: March 02, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »
Good bloody effort. I thought Douglas was great.

Now carry on that level into the rest of the season, don’t let it drop.

Douglas was great? He was awful mate.

Yeah, if not for Targett's comedy first half I'd say he was our worst performer out there.

And you'd be wrong.
Or equally right just like anyone else on this forum.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #307 on: March 02, 2020, 06:55:30 PM »
Good bloody effort. I thought Douglas was great.

Now carry on that level into the rest of the season, don’t let it drop.

Douglas was great? He was awful mate.

Yeah, if not for Targett's comedy first half I'd say he was our worst performer out there.

And you'd be wrong.
Or equally right just like anyone else on this forum.

No. I am right. That's the law.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #308 on: March 02, 2020, 06:57:10 PM »
It was all my fault we lost. The first pint I ordered was a Blue Moon, and then I realised what I’d done.
So at least have the decency of apologising to this forum, William and Tom Hanks and visit McGregor statue and rub your nose on his feet😡

Offline olaftab

« Reply #309 on: March 02, 2020, 06:59:12 PM »
No. I am right. That's the law.
Yes I wasn’t including you and big Daz in the general forum plebs.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #310 on: March 02, 2020, 07:11:27 PM »
It was so good of Wembley to close off two major exits via the stairs in the upper levels yesterday.

Everyone was then shoehorned into one exit. Some of the staff thought it was pretty funny. Not even remotely prepared for a major final

Almost as good as on the way up where the employees couldn't get people moved at the top and there was no way off a moving escalator.

I'll be glad never to go back, detest the place.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #311 on: March 02, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »
Good write up here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/mar/01/aston-villa-take-seat-at-top-table-but-leave-with-worry-theyll-never-belong

Good piece. I grew up with us as a major club. And, to be fair, we have been in four major finals since 2000. Still, it is sickening to see how the game has evolved since 1996 and how we have been passed out by clubs that were way below us.

We simply need to sign better players. Within three years of being taken over Man. City had signed Robinho, Aguero, Yaya Toure, Tevez, Adebayor, Gareth Barry, Milner, Shay Given and many more that I've forgotten.

Some were flops but one is still there scoring in cup finals and generally those signings made worldwide headlines and Man. City a very attractive team to sign for.

When you look at our 11 yesterday who had experienced of winning a major cup final? Can only think of Reina who didn't play.

It's disappointing when I see Purslow admitting even this summer we couldn't spend to sign players on the wages of what Brighton are signing. That's a team who could get relegated with us.

Different times but in the 90s our team was stacked with top international players like Bozzy, Townsend, Southgate, Savo, Yorke etc. Even more in the 94 class and again the team that made the 2000 final was also of that ilk, the tactics were just too negative on the day as we know.

Hopefully we'll learn our lesson. Next time we spend 100m + get in two-three major players for about 70m to get people to sit up and take notice and then you plug the gap with experienced frees and loans to beef up the squad.

The game has moved on. Harry Maguire now costs 80m, Wan-Bissaka 50m.

Man City got Aguero and Robinho for 30m each as I remember, Milner cost 20m?

These days, there is no earthly way we would get two or three of the kind of players you are talking about for 70m. Which is I suspect why Purslow et al decided to go down the route of growing our own as Leicester did with Kante, Mahrez, Maddison, Maguire and so on.

Johnny Evans cost them about 7m I believe with his release clause after Smethwick's relegation. An experienced head it, kick it away CB who's been superb this season. We could do with one of those.

Piatek only cost Hertha Berlin a few more million than what we signed Wesley for. Scored for them in their last game. In fairness us signing Samatta looks a bargain so that's one I won't be querying.

Wolves signed Joao Moutinho for 5m......Indeed him, Neves and Diogo Jota cost them around 40m in total.

Plenty of good experienced players available in europe for decent fees.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #312 on: March 02, 2020, 08:27:02 PM »
By way of contrast, I thought it was shocker and he was fortunate not to get a red.  Let's face it, if Jack had been on the receiving end of one like that there'd be outrage, and rightly so.

Must admit I was expecting a red aswell. I agree it's something even 15 years ago wouldn't have even been a foul but in the modern game you see loads of those challenges getting a red.

Thought Marvelous did alright yesterday. Trouble is are we going to get similar from him and Luiz v Leicester and Chelsea or will it be Sunday league standard?

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2020, 08:51:22 PM »
Good write up here.

The game has moved on. Harry Maguire now costs 80m, Wan-Bissaka 50m.

Man City got Aguero and Robinho for 30m each as I remember, Milner cost 20m?

These days, there is no earthly way we would get two or three of the kind of players you are talking about for 70m. Which is I suspect why Purslow et al decided to go down the route of growing our own as Leicester did with Kante, Mahrez, Maddison, Maguire and so on.

Johnny Evans cost them about 7m I believe with his release clause after Smethwick's relegation. An experienced head it, kick it away CB who's been superb this season. We could do with one of those.

Piatek only cost Hertha Berlin a few more million than what we signed Wesley for. Scored for them in their last game. In fairness us signing Samatta looks a bargain so that's one I won't be querying.

Wolves signed Joao Moutinho for 5m......Indeed him, Neves and Diogo Jota cost them around 40m in total.

Plenty of good experienced players available in europe for decent fees.

In your original post, you were talking about players who made 'worldwide headlines' and two or three 'major players'. Are you suggesting Jonny Evans falls into those categories? If we've now changed to experienced Premier League players, then yes, of course they are available for cheaper prices.  As for Wolves, we all know why those players went there.

Offline nigel

« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2020, 09:12:42 PM »
Walking back to station, Villa singing 'Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that'
Man City fan sparks up 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that'
I turned and asked him if he was sure?
I actually think he was serious as he kept singing it! Not the sharpest tool

From my own experiences yesterday after the match, and at the various service stations we stopped at, I don’t think I have ever come across such a group of arrogant, ignorant, ungracious bunch as them.

There were quite a few of them stopping at the Kenton Rd Premier Inn where we stopped. To be fair they kept to themselves and were pretty quiet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal