collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread  (Read 44809 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2020, 07:57:35 PM »
Good bloody effort. I thought Douglas was great.

Now carry on that level into the rest of the season, don’t let it drop.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2020, 07:58:42 PM »
Keep that effort going in the league and we will stay up. No excuses now. Proud of them for the effort today.

We're just horribly inconsistant with regard performances from majority of 11 we put out most weeks. Largely a consquence of signings made who aren't used to intensity and sheer quality of a top division in world football and can't produce week in week out.

As much as I hope we can kick on from a decent battling performance it wouldn't be a surprise if next week Luiz and Marvelous play like they've never seen a football before, El Ghazi dosen't fancy it from the first minute and so on.

Would keep Engels in as he was excellent today, there's a good CB lurking in there and he bounced back well from the Spurs horror show.

Thinking draw at best v Leicester as reality is we needed about 6-7 great saves from Nyland over the two legs to narrowly beat them so not convinced we'll get that for a third time.

Hope they're all on it for Chelsea though as I really think we can win that and sort of win which would really change the mindset for the season.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2020, 08:01:54 PM »
After a bright start, at 2-0, with our defending having reverted to utter shite,  I was convinced it was damage limitation time and that 4-0 would be a mercy.   They looked like they could score with every attack.  Of course the last thing you need against a team like City is the officials giving ropey decisions in their favour as well.

Fair play for Villa upping their game second half and ultimately a bit unlucky with the Engels chance.  At least we turned up and at least we weren't spanked.  Trezeguet though, honestly what is the point of him and what is it that some seem to see in him?

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2020, 08:04:11 PM »

Douglas was great? He was awful mate.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2020, 08:06:55 PM »
After a bright start, at 2-0, with our defending having reverted to utter shite,  I was convinced it was damage limitation time and that 4-0 would be a mercy.   They looked like they could score with every attack.  Of course the last thing you need against a team like City is the officials giving ropey decisions in their favour as well.

Fair play for Villa upping their game second half and ultimately a bit unlucky with the Engels chance.  At least we turned up and at least we weren't spanked.  Trezeguet though, honestly what is the point of him and what is it that some seem to see in him?

That bit toward the end when Trez dribbled back towards the edge of the box (and lost it) after Targett had sprinted 50 yards for the overlap had me screaming.  I get he's trying to create something, but even our most creative player in Jack knows you play in an overlapping fullback rather than dribbling into trouble...

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2020, 08:09:13 PM »

Yeah, if not for Targett's comedy first half I'd say he was our worst performer out there.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2020, 08:11:12 PM »

Yeah, if not for Targett's comedy first half I'd say he was our worst performer out there.

And you'd be wrong.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »

Think it was 3 times in the opening 15 minutes of the second half that he played either a shit pass or no pass when we were in promising positions. He's infuriating at times.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2020, 08:11:37 PM »

Agreed. And has been for the last couple of months. Waste of space in our current predicament.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2020, 08:12:35 PM »

And you'd be wrong.

No one was bad today.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »

good post

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2020, 08:15:53 PM »
No one was bad today.
I wasn't that impressed by Marvellous to be honest.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2020, 08:16:22 PM »
I think everyone was pretty much fearing the worst when it went 2-0.  And for a little while afterwards, it did look like the game might become a damage limitation exercise, but credit where it's due, we took our chance and at 2-1 we were always in it.  Yes, they have a LOT of the ball - that was always going to be the case - they had more of the ball away at Real Madrid - it's what they do.  BUT an awful lot of their possession was spent passing side to side thirty yards out until someone like Kyle Walker has a pop from miles out.  They had over 20 shots, yes, but how many clear-cut chances? How many big saves did Nyland have to make? I think they had one more shot on target than us?

I thought the pressing from us as the game went on in the second half was mostly very good, even forcing City to put in into row Z on a few occasions - something you don't see them doing very often.  That said, the pressing and big Wembley pitch meant we were absolutely knackered by 95 mins. If we'd got the equaliser, you never know, obviously, but we looked dead on our feet.

At the end of the day, the record books will record us losing another Wembley final, but if Dean can somehow get them to work like that for the next 11 games, there is room for optimism, especially with McGinn getting close to a return.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »
Not seen us work that hard for a while

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal