collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread  (Read 44849 times)

Online nigel

Re: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »
Walking back to station, Villa singing 'Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that'
Man City fan sparks up 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that'
I turned and asked him if he was sure?
I actually think he was serious as he kept singing it! Not the sharpest tool

I was walking up Wembley Way yesterday with my son and Pat McMahon when a Man City fan thought he was being helpful/clever/funny by telling me which way the stadium was. I thanked him and told him it was my 11th visit with Villa.   

Ha Ha, nice one

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2020, 09:25:20 PM »
The only thing wrong with that tackle IMO is that it was two-footed.

His technique is great otherwise - his studs aren't showing at all, he's not come in high, in fact he's grounded himself brilliantly.
I actually think that was a great tackle.

No reaction at all from Guardiola on the touchline at the time.  Hard tackle yes, but not one uncommon twenty odd years ago.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2020, 09:31:49 PM »
By way of contrast, I thought it was shocker and he was fortunate not to get a red.  Let's face it, if Jack had been on the receiving end of one like that there'd be outrage, and rightly so.

Its one of those if Aguero had won it it would have been a foul the other way. For me the ref booked him on the reaction of Aguero who was soon up once he'd won the card.

A shocker? Come on seriously?
No, I really did.  It was a two footed jump, studs showing (I have to disagree with supertom on that).  Getting the ball is irrelevant under the current laws, as I understand it.  I thought it was dangerous, that's all. 

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2020, 09:44:58 PM »
My view of the tackle was from behind Nakamba. I couldn't believe he got booked. When I saw the card come out I thought it was for Aguero for rolling about pretending to be hurt. ******!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2020, 12:33:17 AM »
Good write up here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/mar/01/aston-villa-take-seat-at-top-table-but-leave-with-worry-theyll-never-belong

Good piece. I grew up with us as a major club. And, to be fair, we have been in four major finals since 2000. Still, it is sickening to see how the game has evolved since 1996 and how we have been passed out by clubs that were way below us.

We simply need to sign better players. Within three years of being taken over Man. City had signed Robinho, Aguero, Yaya Toure, Tevez, Adebayor, Gareth Barry, Milner, Shay Given and many more that I've forgotten.

Some were flops but one is still there scoring in cup finals and generally those signings made worldwide headlines and Man. City a very attractive team to sign for.

When you look at our 11 yesterday who had experienced of winning a major cup final? Can only think of Reina who didn't play.

It's disappointing when I see Purslow admitting even this summer we couldn't spend to sign players on the wages of what Brighton are signing. That's a team who could get relegated with us.

Different times but in the 90s our team was stacked with top international players like Bozzy, Townsend, Southgate, Savo, Yorke etc. Even more in the 94 class and again the team that made the 2000 final was also of that ilk, the tactics were just too negative on the day as we know.

Hopefully we'll learn our lesson. Next time we spend 100m + get in two-three major players for about 70m to get people to sit up and take notice and then you plug the gap with experienced frees and loans to beef up the squad.

The game has moved on. Harry Maguire now costs 80m, Wan-Bissaka 50m.

Man City got Aguero and Robinho for 30m each as I remember, Milner cost 20m?

These days, there is no earthly way we would get two or three of the kind of players you are talking about for 70m. Which is I suspect why Purslow et al decided to go down the route of growing our own as Leicester did with Kante, Mahrez, Maddison, Maguire and so on.

Johnny Evans cost them about 7m I believe with his release clause after Smethwick's relegation. An experienced head it, kick it away CB who's been superb this season. We could do with one of those.

Piatek only cost Hertha Berlin a few more million than what we signed Wesley for. Scored for them in their last game. In fairness us signing Samatta looks a bargain so that's one I won't be querying.

Wolves signed Joao Moutinho for 5m......Indeed him, Neves and Diogo Jota cost them around 40m in total.

Plenty of good experienced players available in europe for decent fees.

In your original post, you were talking about players who made 'worldwide headlines' and two or three 'major players'. Are you suggesting Jonny Evans falls into those categories? If we've now changed to experienced Premier League players, then yes, of course they are available for cheaper prices.  As for Wolves, we all know why those players went there.

Yeah Joao Moutinho is proven worldwide player given he's got over 100 caps  for Portugal, euro 2016 winner and played many years in CL for Porto and Monaco. I accept Wolves have slightly cheating transfer strategy but doubt their fans care and in any case everyone thought they'd just move those players on quickly to make a profit but they're all still there 3 seasons on.

Evans falls into the bracket of proven premier league player like Gary Cahill. Giroud would be another. Think the inexperience of the 11s put out this season shows we really need a couple more in the summer particularly at the back when Mings is out or even alongside him.

Given he's 31 there's no way with our current transfer strategy we'd sign him and to me that mindset is a mistake and hopefully we'll re-adjust in the summer when we stay up.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2020, 01:49:47 AM »
Good write up here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/mar/01/aston-villa-take-seat-at-top-table-but-leave-with-worry-theyll-never-belong

Good piece. I grew up with us as a major club. And, to be fair, we have been in four major finals since 2000. Still, it is sickening to see how the game has evolved since 1996 and how we have been passed out by clubs that were way below us.

We simply need to sign better players. Within three years of being taken over Man. City had signed Robinho, Aguero, Yaya Toure, Tevez, Adebayor, Gareth Barry, Milner, Shay Given and many more that I've forgotten.

Some were flops but one is still there scoring in cup finals and generally those signings made worldwide headlines and Man. City a very attractive team to sign for.

When you look at our 11 yesterday who had experienced of winning a major cup final? Can only think of Reina who didn't play.

It's disappointing when I see Purslow admitting even this summer we couldn't spend to sign players on the wages of what Brighton are signing. That's a team who could get relegated with us.

Different times but in the 90s our team was stacked with top international players like Bozzy, Townsend, Southgate, Savo, Yorke etc. Even more in the 94 class and again the team that made the 2000 final was also of that ilk, the tactics were just too negative on the day as we know.

Hopefully we'll learn our lesson. Next time we spend 100m + get in two-three major players for about 70m to get people to sit up and take notice and then you plug the gap with experienced frees and loans to beef up the squad.

The game has moved on. Harry Maguire now costs 80m, Wan-Bissaka 50m.

Man City got Aguero and Robinho for 30m each as I remember, Milner cost 20m?

These days, there is no earthly way we would get two or three of the kind of players you are talking about for 70m. Which is I suspect why Purslow et al decided to go down the route of growing our own as Leicester did with Kante, Mahrez, Maddison, Maguire and so on.

Johnny Evans cost them about 7m I believe with his release clause after Smethwick's relegation. An experienced head it, kick it away CB who's been superb this season. We could do with one of those.

Piatek only cost Hertha Berlin a few more million than what we signed Wesley for. Scored for them in their last game. In fairness us signing Samatta looks a bargain so that's one I won't be querying.

Wolves signed Joao Moutinho for 5m......Indeed him, Neves and Diogo Jota cost them around 40m in total.

Plenty of good experienced players available in europe for decent fees.

In your original post, you were talking about players who made 'worldwide headlines' and two or three 'major players'. Are you suggesting Jonny Evans falls into those categories? If we've now changed to experienced Premier League players, then yes, of course they are available for cheaper prices.  As for Wolves, we all know why those players went there.

Yeah Joao Moutinho is proven worldwide player given he's got over 100 caps  for Portugal, euro 2016 winner and played many years in CL for Porto and Monaco. I accept Wolves have slightly cheating transfer strategy but doubt their fans care and in any case everyone thought they'd just move those players on quickly to make a profit but they're all still there 3 seasons on.

Evans falls into the bracket of proven premier league player like Gary Cahill. Giroud would be another. Think the inexperience of the 11s put out this season shows we really need a couple more in the summer particularly at the back when Mings is out or even alongside him.

Given he's 31 there's no way with our current transfer strategy we'd sign him and to me that mindset is a mistake and hopefully we'll re-adjust in the summer when we stay up.

I think we're at slightly cross-purposes here. I don't disagree that one or two experienced players would be good signings at the right price (Moutinho being a good example).

My point is simply that if you compare signings of the quality Man City brought in to achieve the signings - you talked about Aguero, Robinho, Tevez and Toure - you are not getting three of those for 70m nowadays. Nobody you have mentioned even comes close to that level of signing - top players in their mid-twenties, at the height of their career.

Even Neves and Jota who you rightly mention as very good signings, were more the 'Leicester type of signings' mentioned earlier - 21/22 year olds with promise bought for £12-20m, who are now worth double that at a minimum.

Basically, there are three types of signings in your post - the statement/worldwide headline signings they made of Aguero from Athletico or Toure from Barca etc, the young players from around Europe with potential (which is what I think we've tried to do, with less success than Wolves or Leicester so far), and the older experienced heads (Moutinho at 32 when he signed for Wolves, Cahill, Giroud).

Your idea of 2 or 3 signings for £70m is, I feel, very realistic for the second and third categories but not for the first, which is why I felt your comparison of some of Man City's signings didn't really work with today's fees. Not disagreeing at all with the basic premise.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 02:35:37 AM by SheffieldVillain »

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #321 on: March 03, 2020, 07:15:05 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/AVFCTransTweet/status/1234234774790852609?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email

See the episode of strictly during the final.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AVFCTransTweet/status/1234234774790852609?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email

See the episode of strictly during the final.

Going back to this, I don't know why some people bother going to away matches. I went for a piss on 82 minutes and there were 4 blokes stood in the toilets chatting. We were 2-1 down in a cup final at Wembley and they couldn't even be arsed to watch the game.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #322 on: March 03, 2020, 09:23:32 AM »
I'm so proud of the lad's we were unlucky to lose a corner which wasn't a corner and hitting the post so bloody proud of them.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »
Im not as gutted as i was as the fulham PO loss and the loss vs arsenal.

We showed a lot of spirit proud of them. The other two we were dreadful. Its not as tough to take amd hopefully be turning point of the season

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #324 on: March 03, 2020, 10:33:26 AM »
Had a great day out. Started in the designated Villa pub in Harrow-on-the-Hill which had a great, friendly atmosphere (even though no decent pale ale on draught). There were Villa fans of all ages from great grandparents to a young lad, who looked about 7, at his first cup final. Fans from many ethnic backgrounds joining in the famous songs and being one happy family.

A few Man City fans infiltrated for a short while and had a laugh with us. Got to say all of those I met on the train down, on the tube and after the game were fine; none of the nauseating arrogance we so often get from the red half of Manchester.

I didn't see one instance of poor behaviour and am therefore both shocked and appalled to hear that some Villa fans were involved in racist and aggressive behaviour.

I just hope that young Villa fan didn't have his day tarnished by these morons. They may be a small minority, and every club has idiots who can't hold their beer, but they have no place in the Villa family that I saw the best of this Sunday.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #325 on: March 03, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »
I didn't see one instance of poor behaviour and am therefore both shocked and appalled to hear that some Villa fans were involved in racist and aggressive behaviour.

I just hope that young Villa fan didn't have his day tarnished by these morons. They may be a small minority, and every club has idiots who can't hold their beer, but they have no place in the Villa family that I saw the best of this Sunday.

There were some absolute buffoons on Wembley way and that video of those cretins having a punch up inside the ground was embarrassing. A pathetic sight.

Thankfully, the vast majority of the support was outstanding.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #326 on: March 03, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
It was all my fault we lost. The first pint I ordered was a Blue Moon, and then I realised what I’d done.
So at least have the decency of apologising to this forum, William and Tom Hanks and visit McGregor statue and rub your nose on his feet😡

I've let myself down, I've let this forum down and I've let the club down. I apologise unreservedly.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #327 on: March 03, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »
The Villa ‘fans’ sitting behind us were the most foul mouthed, phlegm spitting, drunken morons it’s ever been my misfortune to see...ashamed

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2020, 11:13:22 AM »
The Villa ‘fans’ sitting behind us were the most foul mouthed, phlegm spitting, drunken morons it’s ever been my misfortune to see...ashamed

There was a bit of pushing and shoving in block 528 where I was, people moaning that people about 10 rows in front of them were standing up.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #329 on: March 03, 2020, 12:00:09 PM »
Personally I just don't get such levels of drinking before a game to the point where you have no idea what's actually happening on the pitch.

4.30 kick off doesn't help either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal