collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread  (Read 44803 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Aston Villa v Man City, a referee and two linesmen Post Match Thread
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2020, 04:10:12 PM »
Why did we switch off for that corner.  Again far too much respect for the mancs until it was too late   But overall quite proud

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2020, 04:15:30 PM »
Just an observation whilst watching the game...I’m pretty sure it wasn’t just because they were wearing black shirts but they always seemed to have more players on the pitch particularly when we were in their half. When we dropped off, our defence and midfield were pretty static even though they were in formation which basically invited Man City to play it around and wait for the gaps. When we were attacking, Man City were quick to close us down to regain possession. It was only when we started to press and get into them at times in the second half that we posed any real threat...if we’d done more of that in both halves then the result may have been very different (we could have won...or lost by more).

They did have more players than us. Three more.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2020, 04:15:43 PM »
By way of contrast, I thought it was shocker and he was fortunate not to get a red.  Let's face it, if Jack had been on the receiving end of one like that there'd be outrage, and rightly so.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2020, 04:26:08 PM »
By way of contrast, I thought it was shocker and he was fortunate not to get a red.  Let's face it, if Jack had been on the receiving end of one like that there'd be outrage, and rightly so.

I thought it looked a good challenge at the time, but when I saw the ref gave a foul and wen't for his pocket, I feared the worst. 

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »

A shocker? Come on seriously?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2020, 04:42:14 PM »
I thought a yellow was fair, clearly won the ball but his follow through took him into Aguero. The mitigation is that the contact is Nakamba's shin/knee going into aguero as he pulled his feet away after getting the ball.

Put another way, that's a far less dangerous tackle than the Mee one that broke Wesley and wasn't even given as a free kick.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #291 on: March 02, 2020, 04:42:45 PM »

No, I really did.  It was a two footed jump, studs showing (I have to disagree with supertom on that).  Getting the ball is irrelevant under the current laws, as I understand it.  I thought it was dangerous, that's all. 

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #292 on: March 02, 2020, 05:00:09 PM »

No, I really did.  It was a two footed jump, studs showing (I have to disagree with supertom on that).  Getting the ball is irrelevant under the current laws, as I understand it.  I thought it was dangerous, that's all. 

Watch it again from the angle behind aguero (if you can find it), by the time they connect it's not studs showing, it's shin on shin more than anything, it was still reckless and a yellow card but not dangerous, in my opinion.

Getting the ball should always have been irrelevant but it isn't, you see that version of the rule applied all the time for tackles that would be bookings otherwise.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #293 on: March 02, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
The only thing wrong with that tackle IMO is that it was two-footed.

His technique is great otherwise - his studs aren't showing at all, he's not come in high, in fact he's grounded himself brilliantly.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #294 on: March 02, 2020, 05:21:26 PM »
Ah well it's all about opinions.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #295 on: March 02, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
I could watch this tackle all day long, a thing of beauty.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1234178192522518530/pu/vid/720x1280/Y5_Go7HMydRjuKjW.mp4?tag=10

Won the ball fair and square.
I could watch this tackle all day long, a thing of beauty.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1234178192522518530/pu/vid/720x1280/Y5_Go7HMydRjuKjW.mp4?tag=10
Got the ball, studs weren't up. It was firm but fair. 20 years ago that would have been standard. The game's boring now, and fancy Dan's need a good bell ringing every now and again.
That said, if those tackles do come back, Jacky boy's gonna be in for it...

There was an amusing incident that shows what the game has come to when Elmo "bought" a free kick from Zinchenko in the first half.  I was laughing that the ref gave it but then I saw the  slo-mo replay and it's even more ridiculous.  You can clearly see Elmo, apparently looking at the oncoming ball, but really  looking out the side of his eyes at Zinchenko, just waiting for a touch.  As Zinchenlo approaches Elmo sticks his arse out, gets the merest touch and goes down like a sniper victim. I think that's what they call "experience" these days. 

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »

I think it'd have gone the other way, if we'd pressed that hard from the start we'd have taken a battering because their game is based around bringing defenders onto them and then exploiting the space. Holding our ground and not letting them find the gaps was the right idea, but we also needed to deal with Foden and sterling staying wide, it was that failure that led to both of their goals (albeit indirectly for the 2nd, it was an overlap with Jack chasing back that led to the 'corner').
[/quote]

It is something that I have noticed nearly all the time, the full backs tuck in alongside the centre backs leaving acres of space out wide.  This allows good teams to keep men out wide and then have plenty of time to get crosses in. With the quality that these teams possess it is a dangerous tactic IMO as the delivery is usually spot on and causes mega problems in the centre of the goal area.
The other tactic that the commentators picked up on was Mings standing like a telegraph pole in centre of the 6 yard box for corners, not marking anyone nor making any attempt to meet the incoming corner.  As one of our best headers/defenders it seemed a completely illogical tactic.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #297 on: March 02, 2020, 05:34:47 PM »

I think it'd have gone the other way, if we'd pressed that hard from the start we'd have taken a battering because their game is based around bringing defenders onto them and then exploiting the space. Holding our ground and not letting them find the gaps was the right idea, but we also needed to deal with Foden and sterling staying wide, it was that failure that led to both of their goals (albeit indirectly for the 2nd, it was an overlap with Jack chasing back that led to the 'corner').

It is something that I have noticed nearly all the time, the full backs tuck in alongside the centre backs leaving acres of space out wide.  This allows good teams to keep men out wide and then have plenty of time to get crosses in. With the quality that these teams possess it is a dangerous tactic IMO as the delivery is usually spot on and causes mega problems in the centre of the goal area.
The other tactic that the commentators picked up on was Mings standing like a telegraph pole in centre of the 6 yard box for corners, not marking anyone nor making any attempt to meet the incoming corner.  As one of our best headers/defenders it seemed a completely illogical tactic.
[/quote]
But if we had asked our full backs to play wider I feel sure City would have found it easier to by pass the centre backs. It’s so difficult trying to stop them. I thought some of their passing and ball control was outstanding, definitely a level above nearly every other team in Europe.
I can see them winning the Champions League this year (unless Stones plays).

Offline The Edge

« Reply #298 on: March 02, 2020, 05:50:02 PM »
The only thing wrong with that tackle IMO is that it was two-footed.

His technique is great otherwise - his studs aren't showing at all, he's not come in high, in fact he's grounded himself brilliantly.
I actually think that was a great tackle.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #299 on: March 02, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »
I fucking hate the trainer shoes they chose for the suits. That is all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal